• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:34 PM

Alright. So I pay for a 512k dsl connection. What should my download speeds be? On average im getting 20kb/s...It"s insanely slow. It takes upwards of an hour to download a file that is 20MB. Is it just me or am I getting screwed?

#2 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

By any chance did you get verizons dsl?

If you did i am sure they tould you to put filters on all of your phone jacks. They mean every single one ACCEPT the one going into your computer.

Also if you have any type of dsl check to make sure that all of the phones and phone jacks in you home, office, etc. have the filter on them. This can cause a extreme drop in internet speed. If this dosnt help maybe if your ok with it you can tell us a little more about you isp and modem maybe.

Edited by epew23, 28 October 2007 - 10:02 PM.

#3 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

My provider is net INS. www.netins.net I have a linksys wireless router. But its not the wireless because I plugged directly into the router to check the speed too. Thats about it. Im starting to get extremely angry with my internet.

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:51 PM

If you did i am sure they tould you to put filters on all of your phone jacks. They mean every single one ACCEPT the one going into your computer.

Also if you have any type of dsl check to make sure that all of the phones and phone jacks in you home, office, etc. have the filter on them. This can cause a extreme drop in internet speed. If this dosnt help maybe if your ok with it you can tell us a little more about you isp and modem maybe.

Yes just ACCEPT the filter to the computer... it needs to be there to block the dsl signals.. ;)

When I was having troubles with DSL I ran a wire down the hall, out the window down to the company box and got a much better speeds.. about 20% better. If you have a laptop, take it outside and take the house off of the 'network' and plug your modem straight into the phone. See what happens.. might want to have an extension cord for the modem.

Also if you have a router... for giggles take it out of the loop and see if the speed picks up..

#5 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:40 PM

When I was having troubles with DSL I ran a wire down the hall, out the window down to the company box and got a much better speeds.. about 20% better.

I wouldnt sugest it. Running wires in and out of your house requires a certain builders code to make sure that there arent any fires but still if you were to get a cut in the cord not only can it spark but youll have to go out in the rain to try and get the internat back up.

Also i had problems again last night with my router. Is the ethernet cord pluged into the 1st port on the model or router. I had it plugged into the second. Cause a bit of trouble.

Here is some more things that might cause it to slow down:

Do you live in a city, univercity or any area with alot of people in a smaller area. Internet can be slowed down by the excessive demand for highspeeds. Also although it is a mean thing internet companys may cap your internet in certain areas to make you want to get the better internet. For exaple Verizon online with dsl is getting capped in cities so that they will buy Verizon fios.

Also if you are running some kind of open sorce browser (i.e. firefox) check the banwidth allowed for the downloads. This may be because it was set to default which can be really low.

Do you have a firewall? If so make sure it isnt set to something like extrem protect, flow block etc. because that will limit the amount of information that is flowing in and out of your computer.

My final piece of advice would be to call them ask them to ping your modem or router. If everything is working fine in acordation to them ask them to send someone out to try and get it to work a little beter. If they want to charge you tell them youll take them to qourt for falsely setting up you internet.
I hope i was a help.
-epew23

#6 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

Yes just ACCEPT the filter to the computer... it needs to be there to block the dsl signals.. ;)

Also if you have a router... for giggles take it out of the loop and see if the speed picks up..

Thank god this is Nubie HQ because I have no idea how to accept the filter? Is the filter a peice of hardware? And also, how would I take my router of the the loop and what would it do?

#7 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:07 PM

Thank god this is Nubie HQ because I have no idea how to accept the filter? Is the filter a peice of hardware? And also, how would I take my router of the the loop and what would it do?

He means the filters on the phone jacks dont put one on you computer. It is like a box that plugs into the phone jack and then the phone cord into the phone

#8 KuiperBeltObject

KuiperBeltObject

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 07:08 PM

First you need to find out definitvely what your speed is.

Go to http://performance.toast.net/

And/or

http://speedtest.net/

Find out if your speed is within 80% of your advertised speed , if it is , they will do nothing about it.

It may be that the server you are d/l from is throttling your d/l. Is this a torrent of a direct d/l.

Maybe tracert to server to see where latency is kicking in?

Also PurpleJesus is dead on , I used to work for Verizon DSL back when it was first being rolled out and the biggest problem by far was internal wiring or other forms of internal noise. If you are getting less than advertised speeds , do like he said and check the speed at your NID(network interface device) basically where the outside line hits your inside wiring. If it is bad there , its their problem , if its good there , you know its your inside wiring/interference/other devices on the line.
If you have too many devices (phone, fax whatever ) they can change the internal electrical characteristics of your phone line.
Even just one device with a dodgy line interface can drop speeds.
Also , there is no issue with running your own phone line, if you do determine that is the issue.
Use the shortest/best quality phone cord. Long cords tend to pick up standing waves.
Dont run the phone cord over anything electrical, DSL is very sensitive , we had a guy whos speed would drop to dialup speeds when he turned on his halogen desk lamp.
Good luck.

#9 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

If im paying for 512k what should my average download speed be? Any ranges?

Oh. And this is the link to my speed.

http://performance.t...loadtime=19.094
Bad Eh?

Edited by I_Eat_Childrenz, 29 October 2007 - 10:09 PM.

#10 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:52 AM

Have you checked to see if it is your neighbor bittorenting off of you wifi?
Your computer may also contain malware that is slowing your connection, try a Live Linux CD.

#11 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:16 AM

Haha we have all our traffic secure with a WEP code. And plus. All my neighbors within range are 70+ years old. There isn't anything to worry about.

#12 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:51 PM

Haha we have all our traffic secure with a WEP code. And plus. All my neighbors within range are 70+ years old. There isn't anything to worry about.

lol ts funny to see WEP and "secure" in the same sentence. but yes you are getting ripped off i get faster download rates with my cell phone. remember youre paying for 512 kilobits per second, when you download a file in windows it will usually show your rate in kilobytes per second there is a big difference.but 20KB/s is still slower than it should be. 512 may be your peak rate or something.

Edited by Dr. Dropper, 30 October 2007 - 02:52 PM.

#13 gloomer

gloomer

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

Change it at LEAST to WPA.

#14 KuiperBeltObject

KuiperBeltObject

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

Now that you know your speeds are way too low , now you need to find out where the problem is .

Call your ISP from a cell phone and request a line test , they should be able to do it while your on the phone with them.

They will probably say its fine. If not they will roll a truck.

If they say its fine , then you have to test it from the NID. With all other internal wiring disconnected. Its easy , unless your wiring is really old , its just multiple phone jacks.

Connect there , then do your speedtest again. If its the same , you have ammo to use against your ISP. Dont take no for an answer. Request a supervisor. Demand credit for the craptacular speeds your getting. Just keep calling them , they will roll a truck eventually.

If your speed is fine at the NID , its your internal wiring/devices/interference. follow the instructions in the previous posts.

#15 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

And the closer you are to the exchange the better to.

Connect the boxes with ethernet cables just to try, see if it makes any difference.

I tend to email my DSL company with plenty of evidence so that cannot claim a daft technicality.

#16 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:34 PM

And the closer you are to the exchange the better to.

Connect the boxes with ethernet cables just to try, see if it makes any difference.

I tend to email my DSL company with plenty of evidence so that cannot claim a daft technicality.

i dont see how this will make any difference in his internet speeds, i mean even wifi on the b band is 11mbps and im sure hes using wireless g which peaks at 54mbps even a shitty wifi signal would be more than 512kbps.

#17 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:10 PM

i dont see how this will make any difference in his internet speeds, i mean even wifi on the b band is 11mbps and im sure hes using wireless g which peaks at 54mbps even a shitty wifi signal would be more than 512kbps.

Exactly. I called my provider last night and we did a test of the speed and they even admitted that we are getting way below what we pay for. So they elevated my ticked to a "trouble" status and said they would look at things from their end. They are pretty good about this kind of thing so if they dont give me a call back by tommorow, I will call them back.

#18 KuiperBeltObject

KuiperBeltObject

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:12 PM

I've seen some wireless NICs that would drop to dialup speeds if WPA was enabled, but they worked fine on WEP, and vice versa, but I believe he said he has connected directly to the modem and the speeds were the same.

#19 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

Well. Ill try anything at this point. I can not stand waiting a whole day for a 700MB torrent to download. It is getting me all uppity.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!