- - - - -

atheos drivers and an orinoco 802.11 b/g

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_thespanishinquisition_***

GUEST_thespanishinquisition_***
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2003 - 07:37 PM

ok so heres the low-down. about a month back i bought an orinoco gold b/g combo card, ever since then ive been trying to get it to work under linux by using the shmoo drivers only problem was i could never get them to work. so i recently did a lot of googling and stumbled upon something called the atheros drivers so i figured id try them out and BINGO! they installed right and worked!!! now ive been googling and fiddiling with the card and drivers to try figure out how to get it into monitor mode. but now im stuck. so far ive managed to get the cards essid set to foo so the network led blinks but thats as far as ive managed to get. now i need some real help. thanks guys

#2 GUEST_Guest_***

GUEST_Guest_***
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2003 - 07:38 PM

btw im running slack 9.1 on a dell inspiron 2650

#3 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:38 AM

So, your network connection works and you cannot place the card into monitor mode? I would assume that you'd have to patch the Atheros driver much like snax patched orinoco_cs. Or you could find a way to ghettodrive.

#4 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 02:51 PM

there are some cards that simply don't have default support for monitor mode.

#5 the spanish inquisition

the spanish inquisition

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 04:55 PM

are there any sniffers for windows that use monitor mode so that i can see if the card supports monitor...for now im gonna see if i can find some docs on getting it into monitor mode. thanks guys :)

#6 semen

semen

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 05:19 PM

Try AiroPeek NX. They offer a "restricted" copy of the software for download, but I'm sure you can get past that. I don't think it worked with my 802.11b card but I never got around checking the drivers before I disowned Windows. So, try that out. Or LinkFerret Network Monitor and CommView has a version of their packet sniffer that works with 802.11.

ciao.

#7 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 06:33 PM

airopeek has the drivers for most but a quick way to tell is see if it sees your wireless network when in netstumbler.. cause you will notice if your card doesnt work monitor mode.. netstumbler will reject it.

#8 GUEST_Guest_***

GUEST_Guest_***
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:14 PM

airopeek has the drivers for most but a quick way to tell is see if it sees your wireless network when in netstumbler.. cause you will notice if your card doesnt work monitor mode.. netstumbler will reject it.

whait whaaa???? um i dont think i understand correctly...are you trying to say see if it works with netstumbler? if so i can tell you it does but netstumbleer dosent use monitor mode. so :huh:

#9 the spanish inquisition

the spanish inquisition

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 07:15 PM

that was me whoops

#10 the spanish inquisition

the spanish inquisition

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2003 - 09:21 PM

ok so after searching a bunch of news groups i found this very helpful thread http://article.gmane...adwifi.user/347
so now i believe i have my card in monitor mode. i went and installed kismet but i get fatal errors when i try to run it btw im logged in as root
FATAL:  Dump file error: Unable to open dump file Kismet-Nov-25-2003-1.dump (Permission denied)
FATAL:  Could not connect to localhost:2501.
Client, exited terminating...
ive read in through http://www.binrev.co...=1747&hl=kismet
and noticed he had some of the same problems but i dont wanaa try a slack reinstall. i :wub: this forum...thanks guys

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!