9 replies to this topic

#1 VinnieNC

VinnieNC

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

Help. This should a easy one for the experienced phreakers:

I am trying to find out the test ring back number for eastern NC, area code 252, prefix 758-XXXX. The local provider is Embarq. I called several of their numbers and they either didn't know what I am talking about or thought I was crazy. I just need to be able to make my own phone ring on command. I have searched the web and found some numbers such as 958, 959, 750, 350, 270, 820 and I have found out that dialing 311 will tell me what number I am calling from.

Many years ago, as a kid, we could dial 6 plus our number, hang up and it would ring back. It doesn't work anymore.

Maybe I already have the correct number, just not using it correctly to make my phone ring back when I go on-hook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My last resort is to ask the guys in the Embarq vans:-)

-VinnieNC

#2 df99

df99

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

In the Chicago area, the number is:

1-511-XXXX, where XXXX are the last 4 digits of your phone number.

After you get a second dial tone, flash the receiver. When you hear high tone, hang up and your phone will ring back.

The second dial tone also serves as a DTMF pad test.

df99

Edited by df99, 27 September 2007 - 07:11 PM.

#3 VinnieNC

VinnieNC

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:30 PM

Thanks df99, but it didn't work here. Actually, I got some kind of highway information update. weird.

#4 Royal

Royal

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Another common ringback is 113-XXXX, where XXXX represents the last four of your number. Then when the tone comes on, flashhook. Another tone should come on, and you can hang up and let your phone ring.

Keep in mind that not every switch has a ringback programmed in.

#5 samo

samo

elite

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:11 AM

In the Chicago area, the number is:

1-511-XXXX, where XXXX are the last 4 digits of your phone number.

After you get a second dial tone, flash the receiver. When you hear high tone, hang up and your phone will ring back.

The second dial tone also serves as a DTMF pad test.

df99

Wow, thanks, that is really awesome. What company owns that number? How does billing for that number work? And last, what is a DTMF pad test?

#6 zule

zule

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

I am trying to find out the test ring back number for eastern NC, area code 252, prefix 758-XXXX. The local provider is Embarq. I called several of their numbers and they either didn't know what I am talking about or thought I was crazy. I just need to be able to make my own phone ring on command. I have searched the web and found some numbers such as 958, 959, 750, 350, 270, 820 and I have found out that dialing 311 will tell me what number I am calling from.

Many years ago, as a kid, we could dial 6 plus our number, hang up and it would ring back. It doesn't work anymore.

Maybe I already have the correct number, just not using it correctly to make my phone ring back when I go on-hook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My last resort is to ask the guys in the Embarq vans:-)

-VinnieNC

good luck. 252 sucks.

#7 Abhayaa

Abhayaa

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:17 AM

-VinnieNC

I never really messed around with Embarq much at all... but I do know that their uber-technical term for ringback number is 'dial revert number' or 'dial revert code' -- so if you're going to ask around, if 'ringback' doesn't "ring a bell" with them, try asking if they have the dial revert number or dial revert code. You know, I'm thinking that AT&T might be able to tell you, but I'm not certain. See if you have any luck with Embarq first. If not, let me know and I'll PM a couple of AT&T numbers for you to experiment with. NPA 252 is rough, because it's fairly barren of phreaks. Did you try the main RBOC that Embarq snags its switching services from? BTW, did you try 511, 777, and 811+[last 4 digits of your number]? (I didn't see those mentioned in your list)

Good luck!

/ab

EDIT: I just remembered, 888-837-8274 *used* to do ringback [+ anac] nationwide. I'm not sure if it still works anymore, though, since I haven't used it in years. In other words, it most probably doesn't, but it's worth trying.

Edited by Abhayaa, 30 September 2007 - 02:22 AM.

#8 fonman

fonman

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

-VinnieNC

Try 959-7114 plus the seven digit number you want to ring back. Wait for dial tone, then hook flash and get busy tone. Hang up and the phone will ring. Hope this helps.

#9 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:27 AM

I have an AT&T number that seems to work nationwide. It was listed as "bellsouth" in the online white pages.

"Hello. TPI Automated test line...."

#10 Royal

Royal

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 431 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:58 AM

I have an AT&T number that seems to work nationwide. It was listed as "bellsouth" in the online white pages.

"Hello. TPI Automated test line...."

If I remember correctly, that was a national ringback number someone found a few years ago. I thought the number was no longer in service, but you may have found another number for the same service. There was a toll-free and POTS number known at the time, and it doubled as an ANAC since it read back your phone number before it said "hang up for ringback". You were also able to enter another phone number to ringback other than the one you were calling from, which may have required you to precede with a * or # code... but it's been too long for me to remember for sure.

Anyway, does the above description sound like what you found?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!