• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 hexahubris

hexahubris

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Banned
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 12:57 PM

what do you guys recommend as good windows wardriving software?

#2 gloomer

gloomer

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

Netstumbler is for finding hotspots. Unfortunately, it's not quite as good as Kismet, because it cannot find AP's that don't broadcast their SSID.

#3 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:26 PM

what do you guys recommend as good windows wardriving software?

netstumbler and microsoft streets and trips with a dual gps receivers.

#4 McGrewSecurity

McGrewSecurity

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

If you're going for stealth, be warned that Netstumbler transmits pretty distinctive Probe Request frames.

In contrast, Kismet listens passively with the card set in Monitor mode, and does not transmit. Unfortunately, Kismet is not available for windows (at least not in its fully functional form. The frontend is available, but it requires a kismet drone source running on another machine). I'm not aware of any Windows software that works like this, although some of the commercial products for wireless auditing might.

#5 Thespis

Thespis

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

AirMagnet is another package, but it's not free. In the immortal words of Dave's Dad, "Free is better than not free." So it might not be what you're looking for.

#6 m0untainrebel

m0untainrebel

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

i've never done wireless sniffing in windows, but aircrack-ng is good linux software for sniffing traffic, using packet injection to get more IVs, and cracking WEP encryption. their website says they have a windows binary you can download: http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php

it might be hard getting windows drivers working for packet injection though. and yeah, i'd steer clear from netstumbler. kismet automatically detects netstumbler packets and tells you if there's a windows wardriver in the area. a book i've been reading, wi-foo, suggests writing a program that waits for netstumbler traffic then send out tons of fake response packets to confuse the windows user. basically, you can't trust the results, and it's not stealthy at all.

#7 Malachai

Malachai

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:38 PM

If you're going for stealth, be warned that Netstumbler transmits pretty distinctive Probe Request frames.

In contrast, Kismet listens passively with the card set in Monitor mode, and does not transmit. Unfortunately, Kismet is not available for windows (at least not in its fully functional form. The frontend is available, but it requires a kismet drone source running on another machine). I'm not aware of any Windows software that works like this, although some of the commercial products for wireless auditing might.

I been having trouble trying to install Kismet on my Fedora laptop since I have the ipw3945 card...

Has anyone had to install it on the 3945 card intel?

#8 McGrewSecurity

McGrewSecurity

• 338 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:17 AM

I been having trouble trying to install Kismet on my Fedora laptop since I have the ipw3945 card...

Has anyone had to install it on the 3945 card intel?

I don't use Fedora, have no idea which version you're using, and I don't use an ipw3945, so I am completely flying blind here. However, I did poke around a bit, and it seems like your driver must be compiled with monitor mode enabled, and it may be that your driver isn't compiled with it. The option is "CONFIG_IPW3945_MONITOR=y", and the reference I found to this is here: http://www.kismetwir...62844529.136662 .

Looks like you'll have to mess around with compiling a driver for it. Or you may want to play around and see if maybe the Backtrack livecd has it compiled right.

#9 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:44 AM

The official Fedora package of kismet sucks unless you are using it as an ids with multiple drones. If you aren't doing that, which you don't seem to be, I highly suggest getting another package or making one.

#10 xyzzy

xyzzy

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:14 AM

Airmagnet does do passive wardriving.

Why hasn't netstumbler got it figured out yet? It's been like 5 years.

Edited by xyzzy, 28 September 2007 - 09:20 AM.

#11 mickeyporkpies

mickeyporkpies

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:55 AM

*PharP!*

Cain & Abel with this little mufty will give you winblows peeps something the linux community have had for years. A little pricey but excellent and at least helps Case funding. The cheaper non TX version is listen only so whilst being a little more legal is also undetectable as it wont transmit

#12 Malachai

Malachai

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:30 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Right now I'm using Fedora 7 the most current one. I had a feeling it was my drivers that I was having trouble with. I will check out the link you gave me.

If that does not work do you guys think a usb wifi card would be better to have?

-

#13 xof7

xof7

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:10 AM

wifi hopper is a great app to. it lets you scan for access points and auto-connect to them when you get a strong enough signal.

On another note, the Alfa usb wifi adapter is phenomenal for war driving and injecting.

http://search.ebay.c...f...&category0=

Edited by xof7, 30 September 2007 - 09:17 AM.

#14 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:28 PM

just picked up two of these http://wlanparts.com..._Clip_on_A.html and im going to be getting one of these soon http://wlanparts.com...-METRO-24V.html slap a couple high powered omni's on there and youre good to go.

#15 Malachai

Malachai

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:40 AM

just picked up two of these t thttp://wlanparts.com..._Clip_on_A.html and im going to be getting one of these soon http://wlanparts.com...-METRO-24V.html slap a couple high powered omni's on there and youre good to go.

Well one thing I forgot to tell you guys is that my dell laptop does not have a PCMCIA slot... I have what is called an "Express slot" sucks wish I had the PCMCIA slot.

that's the whole reason why I need a usb one that will work .

#16 McGrewSecurity

McGrewSecurity

• 338 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:47 AM

Well, the wireless card you have built in is supposed to be supported in Kismet, so rather than worry about buying a USB adapter or whatever, I'd look into either compiling the drivers yourself, or maybe even seeing if another distro has things sorted out for you.

#17 xof7

xof7

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

You probably have a broadcom card in your dell.
If you look in the device manager you should be able to tell what series it is.

#18 Malachai

Malachai

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

Well I have the Intel ®/Wireless 3945ABG card... That's what I run on both my Vista and Fedora. I might need help understanding or making my card work the correct way. I was about to reformat my laptop again and try Ubuntu or something. I'm still thinking about it.

#19 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

Well I have the Intel ®/Wireless 3945ABG card... That's what I run on both my Vista and Fedora. I might need help understanding or making my card work the correct way. I was about to reformat my laptop again and try Ubuntu or something. I'm still thinking about it.

i have a laptop with this same card and another with intell 2200b/g and they both work just fine. i also use net resident, essntial net tools and promi switch in addition to netstumbler.
EDIT: sorry i meant 4965 a/b/g card.

Attached Files

Edited by vector, 06 October 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#20 Malachai

Malachai

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

i have a laptop with this same card and another with intell 2200b/g and they both work just fine. i also use net resident, essntial net tools and promi switch in addition to netstumbler.
EDIT: sorry i meant 4965 a/b/g card.

Is netstumbler working for you under Vista? I know that they been having trouble with that... I tried it but didn't seem to work or the network adapter was not found...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!