• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

Check out Hakia. I got pretty much the same results that I would with google or yahoo. The search engines these days are all just so similar that they can all get the job done just as well.

#2 McGrewSecurity

McGrewSecurity

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

The advanced search terms are what keep me using Google. Stuff like site:, inurl:, intitle:, file formats, date ranges, etc. I use the crap out of a lot of them. Even yahoo's doesn't really stack up on this.

I'm not your typical search engine user though, I guess ;)

#3 s25

s25

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

I use http://www.scroogle....gi-bin/nbbw.cgi google scraper :)

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

The advanced search terms are what keep me using Google. Stuff like site:, inurl:, intitle:, file formats, date ranges, etc. I use the crap out of a lot of them. Even yahoo's doesn't really stack up on this.

I'm not your typical search engine user though, I guess ;)

Everything that I use in google works in yahoo as well. Can you give some examples of what "advanced search terms" dont work in yahoo?

#5 McGrewSecurity

McGrewSecurity

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 338 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

Everything that I use in google works in yahoo as well. Can you give some examples of what "advanced search terms" dont work in yahoo?

After reading this, I've gone back to take a look. It looks like they've either improved their advanced search since I last used it, or else I was looking for ways to encode options into the search queries for use with the developer API (for example: limiting by file extension in google is "filetype:.pdf". Yahoo seems to support this, as well, but has it as a dropdown in the advanced search page, but I can't seem to find a way to encode it into the query as I can with google, without poking around in the GET options.). There doesn't seem to be an equivalent of Google's link:, so far as I can see.

I was happy with Yahoo supplying a good developers' API when I wanted to modify my goosweep application so that new users could use it once Google stopped handing out SOAP keys. However once I had a "yasweep" up and going I was kind of disappointed in it. It worked fairly well, however the number of results reported by the API and returned by web queries varied even more than Google's neglected SOAP servers, and the results returned were occasionally wrong, requiring another try at the same query. On the bright side, at least some more people can use the tool, and Yahoo's "application IDs" allow for more queries per day than Google's SOAP API.

#6 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 06:06 PM

Looks interesting...

I've been looking up info for the KS0108 GLCD and this Hakia, on first look has a bunch of useful stuff..

I'll explore and compare...

#7 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 923 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 03:20 AM

I don't remember for how long I know about Hakia, yeah it is so long. Hakia is somehow good but not so great, I'd rather use

Clusty

Speaking of search engines, this is very nice directory

http://www.searchenginecolossus.com/

Edited by Havoc, 24 September 2007 - 03:23 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!