Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Cheap, Reliable Data Backup. Online and Offline.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 KnowShtuff

KnowShtuff

elite

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 04:39 PM

As I suspected, xGERMx. Thank you for confirming.

Alk3, thanks for the reply. However, you mentioned to check exact drive specs in post #9:

BUT, you need to first check to see if your DVD-ROM drive supports DVD-RAM discs. Some do not.

I replied in post 10:

Not sure how to find if my DVD drive supports DVD-RAM.

I mentioned all I know about the drives in post #1:

CD-RW 40X10X40 and DVD-ROM 16x max speed

I would appreciate if it you would explain how to check the specs you are referring to.

Other than this, I will now clarify that an earlier statement I made about inbox.com's web mail not being canceled due to inactivity is incorrect. Their policy states:

Simply stop using the service if you no longer want to use it. Your account will be completely removed from our systems after 3 months of the last login to the account or after 2 months following account registration if there have been no logins to the account.

Removing your account includes removal of all your messages, attachments and stored data.

I think Yahoo and Gmail both have similar inactivity cancellation periods. Anybody know of free web mail that doesn't cancel due to inactivity that has such large storage capacity?

It seems that safe-mail.net does not cancel accounts due to inactivity, but they only have 3mb free storage. Maybe this will still be okay for temp/alternative storage in conjunction with SendYourFiles.com .

#22 xGERMx

xGERMx

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:48 PM

I think Yahoo and Gmail both have similar inactivity cancellation periods. Anybody know of free web mail that doesn't cancel due to inactivity that has such large storage capacity?

Large storage capacity doesn't always mean large file uploads. Usually there is a limit (though I don't know what it is) on the file size upload for an attachment. What's the biggest attachment anyone has been able to email?
Regardless, online backup of large files (1GB+) is verrrry slow unless you have some mega-bandwidth (see:T1, T3)

Edited by xGERMx, 05 September 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#23 KnowShtuff

KnowShtuff

elite

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:46 PM

Large storage capacity doesn't always mean large file uploads. Usually there is a limit (though I don't know what it is) on the file size upload for an attachment. What's the biggest attachment anyone has been able to email?
Regardless, online backup of large files (1GB+) is verrrry slow unless you have some mega-bandwidth (see:T1, T3)

True that. I know what you mean. I mean, I did talk about this on page one afterall. I guess you missed that. ;)

For example, yahoo has unlimited storage now but 10MB attachment limits initially and 20MB attachment limits for long time users. Check out the SendYourFiles.com info I posted, or just go to their site. They advertise a method of sending 10GB attachments to any email service and logically it is thus on their server space so storage limit for the email service is less of a concern if you want to use this as a method of storing some files in a web based mail server and the longevity of that email account is more of a concern. I haven't tested it yet though. Planning on doing that tomorrow.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!