• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FPSED

FPSED

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

First off, a quick introduction, i've been a browser of the forums for some time and thought i'd finally contribute ;)

For the unknowing, a 17 year old George Hotz has managed to unlock the iPhone for use with providers other than AT&T.

BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/6963696.stm

The eBay listing for the "piece of history":
http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=230164884672

Slashdot:
http://apple.slashdo...4/1858252.shtml

Thoughts and opinions?

#2 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Well, in my personal opinion, phones shouldn't need to be unlocked, they should be unlocked by default. Of course this is infeasible, and might cause costs to rise dramatically, but I try to think whats best for the consumer, not the company. So far most of the people who have figured out how to unlock it are going to charge people for the software. <_<

#3 xcalibur

xcalibur

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:30 PM

FPSED, you're not him, are you? Cause that's exactly how I'd ask if I were him....hehe. Whatever the case, Mr. George Hotz is an incoming freshman to RIT, as am I. I can't shake the idea that I'm going into school with a hacking celebrity. It kinda sucks, he already has a shitload of thunder. Oh well, I'm sure I'll survive, and I'm kinda looking forward to talking with him anyway.

#4 bigggj

bigggj

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

apple is gonna sue his ass.. lol

but besides that its a great idea because i hate at&t, no good service, but t-mobile is a bit better... ..im waitin until it supports verizon

#5 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

I love all the news coverage.

"OMGZ YOU CAN UNLOCK FONES AND STUFFS."

I dunno... this kid isn't really wowing me.

#6 bcrscahh198987

bcrscahh198987

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:49 AM

Well, in my personal opinion, phones shouldn't need to be unlocked, they should be unlocked by default. Of course this is infeasible, and might cause costs to rise dramatically, but I try to think whats best for the consumer, not the company. So far most of the people who have figured out how to unlock it are going to charge people for the software. <_<

Actually, I believe that the mistake is when you buy the over-hyped, over-priced Iphone. Of course, if you do something challenging or hacking the Iphone, then it nulls out the mistake.

#7 I_Eat_Childrenz

I_Eat_Childrenz

elite

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:37 PM

apple is gonna sue his ass.. lol

but besides that its a great idea because i hate at&t, no good service, but t-mobile is a bit better... ..im waitin until it supports verizon

I believe AT&T is suing his ass now.

#8 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:55 PM

This is why you shouldn't disclose your vulnerabilities, you get your ass sued and they fix it.

#9 borntokill94

borntokill94

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:32 AM

Now look what he's gotten himself into. AT&T Unleashes Lawyers on iPhone Hackers

#10 FPSED

FPSED

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

Now look what he's gotten himself into. AT&T Unleashes Lawyers on iPhone Hackers

Yep, I just spotted the same thing.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ogy/6966600.stm

"According to UniquePhones, it received a 3am call from a lawyer claiming to represent AT&T and warning it that selling unlocking software could constitute copyright infringement and illegal software dissemination." :huh:

3am.. very antisocial on AT&T's part.

Sometimes it feels like companies forget the 'big idea' of selling products, which goes back to the beginning of civilisation basicly;
Give people what they want. If they were fulfilling that in the first place, I doubt they'd be in the situation there in at the moment.

#11 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

Imagine how this case would evolve differently if our guy was eloquent, upstanding, and trying to do something other than make money money.

Instead, we get some squeaky jew-fro kid.

I hope he doesn't appeal if he gets slammed. Best to get this kid out of the limelight asap.

#12 inaequitas

inaequitas

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:09 PM

Imagine how this case would evolve differently if our guy was eloquent, upstanding, and trying to do something other than make money money.

It's the making money that's troublesome. I have no qualms with guys making money because they have an idea. I have problems with over-exploiting ideas [movie franchises, when every fast food starts smearing their products with themed crap] and with piggy-backing on others' ideas. So I'm glad someone's unlocked the phone. I know they could publish the code someplace the DMCA can't reach it and let it there for others. But no, fame and fortune took the cake so the guy wants to make money off of it.

Granted, if it weren't him it'd be someone else, using his code, so that's probably even worse.

#13 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

I have problems with over-exploiting

You mean like selling your rigged shit for $35K?

#14 FPSED

FPSED

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

Update:

http://businessweek....0827_230698.htm

..And it turns out he's trading his iPhone for a "metallic blue Nissan 350Z sports car and three brand-new iPhones"

#15 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

he could've done with the car, two iphones, and a haircut.

edit:
:puke:
i'd rather hackers be thought of as criminal deviants than the new image this kid'll help craft.

Edited by theMaxx, 29 August 2007 - 04:37 PM.

#16 bcrscahh198987

bcrscahh198987

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 03:17 PM

Update:

http://businessweek....0827_230698.htm

..And it turns out he's trading his iPhone for a "metallic blue Nissan 350Z sports car and three brand-new iPhones"

He's also becoming a consultant for CertiCell.

#17 Majest|c

Majest|c

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:12 PM

he could've done with the car, two iphones, and a haircut.

edit:
:puke:
i'd rather hackers be thought of as criminal deviants than the new image this kid'll help craft.

So you are an idiot? Hackers were never Criminal Deviants. I don't consider myself a Hardcore Hacker, but I have learned from this Community how to do some really cool stuff on my own network. But I guess that doesn't matter, because there will always be a jackass out there trying to make ALL hackers look like assholes. Are you just upset that you can't #1 Afford the IPhone, or #2 you are not smart enough to go through the steps of getting the IPhone Modded? No I think it is #3 you are just a Jackass that wants to bring everyone else down because you can't get praise from anyone else ...

You know what we call those here in Detroit ... " BITCHES " ... :grr:

#18 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

Huh?

Can you rephrase? Perhaps [/drunk rant] and [logic]?

#19 The_STDstroyer

The_STDstroyer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

this was featured on attack of the show.

therefore it loses all of its power.

#20 Spaz101

Spaz101

Spaz is lame...

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:05 AM

you can tell his age for trying to be senor famous lets me sign an iphone and sell it on ebay. I think if it were me I would pull the whole vigilante thing and keep my identity a secret. I don't know, the kid may be very smart but I think the news is blowing this thing up.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!