Photo
- - - - -

Programing languages for hacking. Which is better?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KrayKomp

KrayKomp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

Hello,

I am learning Pascal and C++, but now I have question for you. Which programing languages are more useful for hackers? Is it C++ or PHP or other like Perl?

#2 hexahubris

hexahubris

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Banned
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

you can code a hack in really any language. it's basically your preference. C or ASM seem to be the widest used ones.

#3 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

what do you want to "hack" if the language doesn't have the ability to do something required for what you want to hack it's not good. For example, qbasic isn't going to be very useful for writing a cookie stealer but it would work for implementing an algorithm (possibly).

#4 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

If you want to learn a language "for hacking" (a futile quest if you ask me), stick to what's being used by the most people. That means C++, C, PHP, Java, C#, etc. Beyond satisfying any personal motivations, learning Pascal will probably not be fruitful.

#5 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

you can code a hack in really any language. it's basically your preference. C or ASM seem to be the widest used ones.

ASM shouldn't really ever be used unless you are in OS development, as it is unportable, unreadable, and is so much work for a simple task. ASM is one of those languages that you should learn, but is rarely ever used afterward.

#6 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

You can hack in all languages, but some languages will fit your needs better. In my case, C fits my needs better (for a keylogger program I'm working on)

#7 KrayKomp

KrayKomp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

Thank you for your answers :)

I am learning Pascal because it is easier to understand C++ and other programing languages.

#8 deadc0de

deadc0de

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:00 AM

Thank you for your answers :)

I am learning Pascal because it is easier to understand C++ and other programing languages.

If you want easy, go Ruby and never look back. It's powerful, and simple. Ruby, if not for being an interpreted language (unless you have an exe maker), would probably be used more than C or C++.

...and as a little fun fact...most notable hackers and sploit crafters often prefer interpreted languages over compiled languages because they are easily ported and often contain functions that do a specific thing well. Unlike in C/C++ where you have to play a cat-and-mouse game with code to get it to do what you want.

Edited by deadc0de, 26 August 2007 - 05:02 AM.

#9 stefanovich

stefanovich

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Ruby is a lovely language. Something also has to be said for Perl. A lot of exploits are written in Perl and it's a very solid powerful scripting language. You also are gonna have to learn C. There really isn't anyway around it. C++ may overload your brain so start with C. All that nice stuff like pointers and pointers to pointers needs to be understood backwards!! You may want to learn enough Asm to start playing around with shellcoding too.

#10 wirefire

wirefire

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hello,

I am learning Pascal and C++, but now I have question for you. Which programing languages are more useful for hackers? Is it C++ or PHP or other like Perl?

Thats like comparing chalk and cheese. Learn whatever languages it takes to get the job done. In most cases your going to need to learn an array of languages as each has different uses but i would recommend choosing a path and sticking with it as you will confuse the hell out of yourself trying to juggle multiple languages at the same time.

I'd consider dropping pascal as it is an old and rarely used language!

C/C++ PHP and perl are all good languages to learn however!

good luck

#11 KrayKomp

KrayKomp

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:07 AM

For now I will stay with C++, maybe in the future I will try PHP or Perl.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!