• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bbhz

bbhz

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:46 PM

The following statements to do not reflect the opinions of bell or its employees. I assume no responsibility or liability for anything. The following statements represent a fictional world in my mind which does not exist. Any similarity to any ISP that actually exists is pure coincidence.

I work for a call center that is outsourced by Bell Canada to provide tech support for their internet service. As of the first of this month, bell has changed their dsl lineup. "High speed" internet has been replaced by "DSL Performance" ... etc. (www.bell.ca) Now, everyone that signs up for DSL Performance or above (Max) will recieve a free wireless enabled modem/router. The 2wire modem (2700, 2701). This new modem has a sticker on the bottom with a default SSID and WEP 128bit key for the customers convenience. As such, a Bell representative who personally runs the department in Bell that deals with the 2wire modems came to our call center today to give us an overview of the modems and answer any questions. Durring this information session, he explained that when the customer takes the modem out of the box and hooks it up, by default, wireless in ENABLED and set to WEP, regardless of whether or not the customer is going to use the wireless capabilities. I repeat...by default wireless in enabled, set to WEP.... So I asked this representative if Bell thought it was wise to have wireless on by default, and using such a poor encryption method. I told him that there are people that just drive around in their car looking for WEPs to break. He essentially told me that customer convience outways any type of risk that someone is going to break into their network. This is going to be the standard modem for all of Ontario. We, as tech support agents are told they we "can" set it to WPA for the customer, if we feel comfortable going through the steps to set it up. Unfortunately, we are not told how to pick a strong WPA key. I just wanted to come on here and flame a little...thank you .... i could go on and on about whats wrong with the tech support we offer, like....it can never ever ever be the modems problem if you cant connect....go see a tech you got an OS issue...

#2 double.emms

double.emms

elite

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

You've touched on it, my friend. They're not in it to provide as good a service as they can--they're in it to make as much money as they can.

#3 Schuchwun

Schuchwun

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:35 PM

hence why rogers never released a wifi enabled modem, the average person is a dumb idiot and doesn't bother to change anything lol thus businesses think the same way.

#4 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:49 PM

hence why rogers never released a wifi enabled modem, the average person is a dumb idiot and doesn't bother to change anything lol thus businesses think the same way.

I wouldn't even give Rogers that much credit. If anything, it was that it was just cheaper to send out non-wifi modems to begin with.

#5 l33tphreak

l33tphreak

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

At least it's not as bad as Verizon Online in Pennsylvania - they give out those Actiontec WG704 wireless-equipped gateways or some Westell thing with wireless. Both come with WEP enabled and wireless on by default with the cozy little sticker on the bottom labeling the default WEP key for the Verizon specific firmware. What they don't mention is that every unit distributed uses the same default WEP key and same default logon information. Repeat after me - stupid.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!