• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 813_Error

813_Error

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 18 November 2003 - 11:08 PM

Ok I have a HP Pavilion with Windows ME installed and I'm moving to Linux and I've been doing the research and am getting mixed reviews on which distro would be the best thing for me (noob to Linux I guess) to get. I was thinking SuSE, RedHat 9 was my first choice but then I heard they are going to drop it soon next year so I don't see the point in it. Then I found SuSE 9 and although I havent gotten any in depth reviews so far it seems like the way to go for me. I read 1 review that SuSE 9 is just one big debug session after another before things work right...I have that with Windows ME and want no part of that again. I dont know if it was just that one user or if its a common problem with SuSE. So I come to you guys asking for some help deciding. What do you think would be good for me? I have alot of music software that I use. I also use alot of art and design programs. Then of course theres game, of course I play games. I don't mind changing to all new software but I only ask one thing. I WANT IT TO WORK THE FIRST TIME! That might be alot to ask but thats what I'm looking for.
Thank you in advance for any help.
(ok I actually tryed to type this the "proper" way so if I really messed up the grammer I'm sorry I don't normally use any :P )

ERROR!

#2 kizzle

kizzle

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 01:57 AM

I've been running a hard drive install of Knoppix for the past month and I'm loving it. It's fast and not as bloated as other distros.

#3 DigitalAttrition

DigitalAttrition

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 07:10 AM

same here kizzle. knoppix is my favorite besides mandrake

#4 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:17 AM

you KNOW im gonna say slack....if you want it to run the first time, then read on it before you install it. also make sure you know your hardware since you might need to configure shit.

#5 liht

liht

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 11:03 AM

for the most bang for your proverbial buck, knoppix would probably work best outta the box.
but if you wanted to be UBER NEATO SUPER COOL you'd run slackware :)
but what do i know, i nuked my slack install because i was pissed off that my wifi didnt work

#6 813_Error

813_Error

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 02:55 PM

ok well does anyone have some horror stories about SuSE or do you guys just not use it because you all love knoppix? I got nothing against knoppix, i got a boot disc demo of it and its pretty cool. But i was still wanting SuSE :D .
I could always tell a friend to get slack or knoppix and try it at threre house :P , a friend said he was gonna get red hat 9 soon so i can try it there.
ERROR!

#7 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

(noob to Linux I guess)

I WANT IT TO WORK THE FIRST TIME!

definitely knoppix

#8 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:34 PM

ok, Since redhat and i have parted ways i have tried 3 distros...

1. Fedora - hated it with a passion that is impossible to put into words

2. knoppix 3.3 HDD install - most everything worked fine i guess, but KDE blows, and it tends to bloat and slow the linux experience. 3.1 was awesome, but 3.3 gets the big :voteno: from me.

3. Slackware 9.1 - Hacnslash and i are in the same boat on this one... 9.1 pwns the known universe. The only bummers about making it work were

A. Nvidia drivers (cake easy to get going, and youll have to do it with ANY distro you choose)

B. USB mouse (this was a balls-out CHORE, but i conquered it, and can show you how to as well)

C. Patching orinoco drivers for wardriving (cake easy also, and also a 10 min fix)

If j00r hardware is decent but not on the bleeding edge of tech, slack should work for you with minimal effort. just remember to unckeck that KDE box on install ;)

#9 813_Error

813_Error

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:48 PM

ok well my comp its liek 2 or 3 years old and i havent upgraded so i guess everything would be fine-n-dandy, i found a site that sells halfway cheap so im gonna order 2 and get a friend to order another(might not like 1 but there cheap) the cheap ones are mandrake 9.2 for 13.99, slackware 9.1 for 11.99, and knoppix 3.3 for 4. then of course they sell red hat and suse for 40 each. ill be ordering slack and knoppix(ive used knoppix boot cd from the book i got and its ehh...ok).
i should have em late next week. ill be sure to keep u updated.(maybe soon i can actually say that i know what my website title is about(i just like penguins to tell ya the truth)).

ERROR!

#10 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 05:57 PM

dude from linuxcd.org slack is like 1.99 or something...or but it from slackware.com it cheaper than 11.99 i think...

also, i think this is like the first time bland and I have agreed on a distro..ever..lol
anyway, could you maybe post how to configure a usb mouse and pin it here in the nix forum?

#11 the spanish inquisition

the spanish inquisition

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:01 PM

knoppix or slack....btw if you wanna run redhat dont instead run ferora core 1...its basicly RH 9.1 but its been tweaked a little more like the whole nivida driver thing

#12 813_Error

813_Error

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:49 PM

Wow Hac I really owe you one now...thats the best site ever. Have you bought anything from there? Im glad you told me before I ordered, now I can get more software for the same price :D and thats always a good thing.

ERROR!

#13 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 20 November 2003 - 03:46 PM

no, ive never bought from them, but its advertised on distrowatch and im always on distrowatch...

#14 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• 812 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 01:13 PM

you KNOW im gonna say slack....if you want it to run the first time, then read on it before you install it. also make sure you know your hardware since you might need to configure shit.

And right behind hacnslash you can find me pimping Slack as well.

#15 Y0ungBra1n

Y0ungBra1n

The floor is made of lava!

• 1,239 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 02:20 PM

for n00bs to linux like myself, i use knoppix, and it is great. You can learn so much, and I can testify of that!

#16 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 02:32 PM

the most stable os is VMS...but that's not linux so I'll go away :ninja:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!