Photo
- - - - -

Ok all you Phreakers please answer me this..

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 trick187

trick187

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 05:22 AM

I keep hearing everone saying that beige boxing and all that are all outdated/old school ect. so tell me what is new school phreaking other then redboxing and using scaners [i cant find any analog phones nereby]. what are real phrekers doing these days since beige boxing is so old?

Edited by trick187, 15 August 2007 - 05:24 AM.

#2 I-baLL

I-baLL

T0tal n00b

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 06:14 AM

Have you bothered to read any of the threads in this forum? They will pretty much answer your question.

#3 Turmoil

Turmoil

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:34 AM

I don't know about you guys, But I still use my beige box...

Maybe I'm just dumb and old fashioned :blink:

#4 Abhayaa

Abhayaa

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:44 AM

I keep hearing everone saying that beige boxing and all that are all outdated/old school ect. so tell me what is new school phreaking other then redboxing and using scaners [i cant find any analog phones nereby]. what are real phrekers doing these days since beige boxing is so old?

A lot of the old stuff, and a bit of the new stuff (voip, etc). Since technology changes, some of it is just keeping things like knowledge of technologies in use up to date.

Some things don't die.

Phreaks do whatever they're interested in doing.

Boxes were never what phreaking was about (though when [electro-]mechanical & other blue-boxable switches were around, they came in handy).

Edited by Abhayaa, 15 August 2007 - 08:45 AM.

#5 hexahubris

hexahubris

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Banned
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

personally, im into sensaphones and PBX stuff. and i love scanning. really, i think that's the spirit of phreaking. because, even when you cant box a switch or something, you can still find interesting numbers. ive never built a beige box ("built" ha.) but, they can be useful im sure in some situations.

you can still do most of the "older" stuff. like, there are some countries you can still blue box in, and even some states in the US you can still redbox in.

really though, basically phreaking and hacking and all of this is all about playing around with stuff.

#6 The_STDstroyer

The_STDstroyer

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 09:34 AM

try looking up and studying new technology. the better your understanding of a certain field the better it will help you find exploits or ways to use it in a way it wasnt meant to be used. and it will help you understand more complex concepts later on down the line.

#7 PhreakerD7

PhreakerD7

• 375 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

In fact (not sure if its still there) isn't there a switch in the USA that you can still blue-box on? Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah, red boxing and beige boxing are both very alive. Royal wrote an awesome tut on modern day red boxing and beige boxing is just using a slightly modified phone on a TNI.

Like hexahubris said, scanning could possibly be one of the most fun things of phreaking IMO. You can find some really awesome numbers. Pretty much EVERY exchange has at least a couple milliwatts or something.

And like Abhayaa said, VoIP is like a new playground for us. With Asterisk and a VoIP account, you can do some really mad cool stuff.

#8 The_STDstroyer

The_STDstroyer

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

my advice is to start looking at the cool numbers thread. Thatll give you some good ideas on what things are and where to go from where you are too.

#9 savant

savant

• 368 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

a "Beige box" is not old school. It's not even school. It's a tool that aids in telephony, a poor-man's Buttset. Hooking up a beige box to a TNI, or to copper wires, has very little at all to do with freaking. It's like saying "I'm old school hack, I still use my keyboard". Having and using a keyboard doesn't make you a hacker, having and using a beige box isn't phreaking.

Phreaking, a derivative of "phreaker", which was slang spelling for someone who uses frequencies, ala the 2600hz frequency, to seize a trunk in the good ol' days of yesteryear. It was quite literally hacking the phone system. Using a beige box is no more hacking the phone system than plugging in a telephone. It's like turning on a computer.

Using a beige box is no more technical than siphoning gas out of someone's gas tank and putting it in your car.

#10 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 923 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 02:32 AM

Using a beige box is no more technical than siphoning gas out of someone's gas tank and putting it in your car.

IMHO beige boxing in terms of making someone's bill bigger for your own pleasure is just a common stealing and NOT phreaking unless you are beige boxing in terms of testing some phreaking ideas

#11 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:17 AM

I too asked this when I 'started phreaking'.
You have to ask yourself what is a computer and what is a phone; because pretty soon, you'll realize they are one in the same. The phone 'network' is just that, a network. Instead of a computer, you have a phone to interact with it. And that of course is the goal, to trigger a 'reaction' from the network. Blue boxing to make free phone calls isn't cool, understanding what technology is behind each pulse. Purely amazing.

I recommend you perform a scan. Run through a list of numbers, dialing sequentially; and log your results. For example.
NPA-NXX-WXYZ Where NPA is the area code, NXX is the prefix, and WXYZ is the 'suffix' or the last four digits of the phone number. I usually scan chunks of "XYZ" at a time, meaning. I scan three digits 000-999 as opposed to "WXYZ" 0000-9999

You might wanna try a 3 digit scan first. So choose an area code, prefix, and then the scan range

Example:
312-598-0000 to 312-598-0999

Dial 312-598-0000 listen, and then log the results
dial the next number 312-598-0001 and so on and so forth.

Depending on what range you choose to scan, you may run into a lot of "Hello's", basically people's home or business phone numbers or fax machines, or occasionally a computer (also called a Carrier). But when you scan toll free numbers, or ranges (also called Exchanges) that are known for testing, or other wierdness, you'll run into far more interesting things. Keep in mind, NOTHING is predictable during scanning. Kn0x and I once found a Carrier right in the middle of a cellular block of numbers. We we're doing a 708-XZY-1337 Scan, or something like that, and it's the only reason we stumbled upon it.

The goal is to find numbers that do 'wierd' things. Numbers that produce wierd tones, or ringing or a dialtone, or anything of that sort. Scan around, and see what you can find. Then post back here.

This is probably where you should start your phreaking career. As you get more into it, you can start playing with VoIP (voice over IP) and learn how to glide between the two, how voip can assist you in discovering more on the phone network (also called PSTN [public switched telephone network]), it's limitations, and features. My latest interest is VoIP access to to DSN (http://www.chips.nav...2_oct/file3.htm, Defense Switched Network/Autovon)

The MOST fun EVER in 'phreaking' is when you're dialing those numbers, recording the results, and you come across one that does something wierd, out of the ordinary, strange. You post on BinRev, or contact your other phreak buddies, and you brainstorm as to what it could possibly be doing. This happened not to long ago with numbers that would read back a series, and then play DTMF for it like "twenty-four fourty-two eighty-eight ninety-three DTMF:24428893" What did we wind up nick-naming these numbers? I forget. I've come across a few scanning myself.

The point, no, the thrill in phreaking is finding out that a piece of equipment somewhere in the world is reacting to a series of keys you've press, how it's doing that, but most importantly; why.

#12 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:28 AM

Read this article. Phreaking is pressing the flash key, pure genious; just assholish to dial 900 numbers.

http://www.voiploop....c...90&Itemid=0

#13 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 923 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:17 AM

Read this article. Phreaking is pressing the flash key, pure genious; just assholish to dial 900 numbers.

you've got to be extra stupid to setup system in that way !! this is trick is soooo old that the patch should be applied long long time ago

and about modern phreaking : check Gadaix video presentation from HITB and you'll know what is the future

#14 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

you've got to be extra stupid to setup system in that way !! this is trick is soooo old that the patch should be applied long long time ago

and about modern phreaking : check Gadaix video presentation from HITB and you'll know what is the future

It's the exploration, not the specific exploit that makes this what it is.

#15 Murd0c

Murd0c

1000th poster in the world's longest thread

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."

#16 Lord Wud

Lord Wud

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

as for "new school" try playing a game called how many voip systems are running around with default passwords.

#17 The_STDstroyer

The_STDstroyer

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

as for "new school" try playing a game called how many voip systems are running around with default passwords.

ahahaha theres so many!

#18 PhreakerD7

PhreakerD7

• 375 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

You have to ask yourself what is a computer and what is a phone; because pretty soon, you'll realize they are one in the same. The phone 'network' is just that, a network. Instead of a computer, you have a phone to interact with it. And that of course is the goal, to trigger a 'reaction' from the network. Blue boxing to make free phone calls isn't cool, understanding what technology is behind each pulse. Purely amazing.

I recommend you perform a scan. Run through a list of numbers, dialing sequentially; and log your results. For example.
NPA-NXX-WXYZ Where NPA is the area code, NXX is the prefix, and WXYZ is the 'suffix' or the last four digits of the phone number. I usually scan chunks of "XYZ" at a time, meaning. I scan three digits 000-999 as opposed to "WXYZ" 0000-9999

You might wanna try a 3 digit scan first. So choose an area code, prefix, and then the scan range

Example:

Depending on what range you choose to scan, you may run into a lot of "Hello's", basically people's home or business phone numbers or fax machines, or occasionally a computer (also called a Carrier). But when you scan toll free numbers, or ranges (also called Exchanges) that are known for testing, or other wierdness, you'll run into far more interesting things. Keep in mind, NOTHING is predictable during scanning. Kn0x and I once found a Carrier right in the middle of a cellular block of numbers. We we're doing a 708-XZY-1337 Scan, or something like that, and it's the only reason we stumbled upon it.

The goal is to find numbers that do 'wierd' things. Numbers that produce wierd tones, or ringing or a dialtone, or anything of that sort. Scan around, and see what you can find. Then post back here.

This is probably where you should start your phreaking career. As you get more into it, you can start playing with VoIP (voice over IP) and learn how to glide between the two, how voip can assist you in discovering more on the phone network (also called PSTN [public switched telephone network]), it's limitations, and features. My latest interest is VoIP access to to DSN (http://www.chips.nav...2_oct/file3.htm, Defense Switched Network/Autovon)

The MOST fun EVER in 'phreaking' is when you're dialing those numbers, recording the results, and you come across one that does something wierd, out of the ordinary, strange. You post on BinRev, or contact your other phreak buddies, and you brainstorm as to what it could possibly be doing. This happened not to long ago with numbers that would read back a series, and then play DTMF for it like "twenty-four fourty-two eighty-eight ninety-three DTMF:24428893" What did we wind up nick-naming these numbers? I forget. I've come across a few scanning myself.

The point, no, the thrill in phreaking is finding out that a piece of equipment somewhere in the world is reacting to a series of keys you've press, how it's doing that, but most importantly; why.

Could it be those 7-1-1 numbers you were speaking off? Those were interesting as hell.

#19 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:58 PM

Example:

Could it be those 7-1-1 numbers you were speaking off? Those were interesting as hell.

Did we wind up calling them 711 numbers? I don't really remember, anyone got a link to the post?

#20 PhreakerD7

PhreakerD7

• 375 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

Are you amazed at my google pwnage? :)

http://www.binrev.co...o...ic=11638

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!