• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hdcase

hdcase

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:01 AM

It seems that after a couple of updates to the Airport Extreme card, KisMac can no longer find the AE driver. Fine, I can re-compile and see if that works, but better yet, I'd like to put a question out there for the Mac hackers on this forum:

What's your wireless toolbox look like? Do you use KisMac? Kismet? iStumbler? ? ?

And better yet, does anyone have a Macbook Pro with the newer Airport Extreme chip? This newer one (also present on the newer Mac Minis I believe) does not work in monitor mode with the stable release of KisMac as the driver hasn't been reverse engineered. You can however, get it do passive scanning if you compile the latest dev release from source. However, due to some new laws in Germany, distributing security software will land you jail time, and the KisMac team has shut down until further notice (some mention of KisMac via the Netherlands or something).

Anyone with a newer Macbook Pro or Mac Mini successfully compiled Kismet to work in raw monitor/passive mode? I like iStumbler a lot, but since it only does active scans, it doesn't fill the gap.

Passive scanning on a Macbook Pro... your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

It seems that after a couple of updates to the Airport Extreme card, KisMac can no longer find the AE driver. Fine, I can re-compile and see if that works, but better yet, I'd like to put a question out there for the Mac hackers on this forum:

What's your wireless toolbox look like? Do you use KisMac? Kismet? iStumbler? ? ?

And better yet, does anyone have a Macbook Pro with the newer Airport Extreme chip? This newer one (also present on the newer Mac Minis I believe) does not work in monitor mode with the stable release of KisMac as the driver hasn't been reverse engineered. You can however, get it do passive scanning if you compile the latest dev release from source. However, due to some new laws in Germany, distributing security software will land you jail time, and the KisMac team has shut down until further notice (some mention of KisMac via the Netherlands or something).

Anyone with a newer Macbook Pro or Mac Mini successfully compiled Kismet to work in raw monitor/passive mode? I like iStumbler a lot, but since it only does active scans, it doesn't fill the gap.

Passive scanning on a Macbook Pro... your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

that really sucks that the Kismac team has shutdown. If you need, I managed to get the latest beta build that will allow monitor mode with my macbook pro sporting the newer airport extrems, no injection unless a USB card is used though.

#3 hdcase

hdcase

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

Thanks. I PM'd you regarding the KisMac beta build. I hope those guys set up shop somewhere soon, because it'd be a shame to see that app's development come to an end.

What USB wireless cards do you use for injection? I have D-Link DWL-122 which is one of the recommended dongles to work with KisMac, but am hesitant to install it because I've read the drivers -- which by D-Link's account -- are not compatible with Tiger. Many people have claimed that they got it to work, but that it destroys Spotlight.

#4 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:21 AM

Thanks. I PM'd you regarding the KisMac beta build. I hope those guys set up shop somewhere soon, because it'd be a shame to see that app's development come to an end.

What USB wireless cards do you use for injection? I have D-Link DWL-122 which is one of the recommended dongles to work with KisMac, but am hesitant to install it because I've read the drivers -- which by D-Link's account -- are not compatible with Tiger. Many people have claimed that they got it to work, but that it destroys Spotlight.

I PM'd you the link to where I uploaded, just hope it was the correct version (i've got about 5 versions of kismac in my dl folder). For injection I use the DWL-122 and have not had any problems with spotlight. When working with Kismac DWL-122 does not use native Dlink drivers it uses MAcJak drivers. By all means DO NOT install Dllink drivers. From my experiences they do nothing but cause kernel panics. According to Dlink this is an os x issue, guess apple failed to develop their kernel around Dlinks drivers ... lol

However, Kismac injection is kinda weak. AirCrack and BSD Airtools are much better suited for cracking wep

#5 buckythakid

buckythakid

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

I recently got a new macbook pro and realized that my Kismac doesn't support its drivers. I used a netgear MA111v1, but have found Kismac to be more effective when I use both the USB dongle and the Airport card together. Where can I find a Kismac that supports the new Macbook Pro. Also, how do you run Aircrack and those programs off a Mac? I have fooled around with Backtrack 2.0 before but couldn't find support for my drivers. Thanks.

p.s. If I could also get that link to the new compiled Kismac, that would be great.

#6 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 813 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

I'm sure someone will step up and release a solution soon. I just noticed a yesterday it wasn't working.

#7 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:49 AM

I'm sure someone will step up and release a solution soon. I just noticed a yesterday it wasn't working.

This sort of thing is common when a program comes into ongoing popularity. I remember nmap having a bunch of troubles a while back.

#8 hdcase

hdcase

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 06:00 AM

A while ago they moved their site to Switzerland. Here's the link for anyone who's interested:

http://kismac.macpirate.ch/

I ended up using a D-Link DWL-122 I found on ebay (without installing the D-Link drivers - thanks for the tidbit tekio). Just plug it in, fire up Kismac, load the Prism2 USB driver, and away you go. It supposedly supports injection, but I haven't been able to get it to inject/reinject to generate enough traffic to capture enough IVs in a reasonable amount of time. For simple passive scanning and network discovery, despite a somewhat crappy range, it works great.

#9 ghostshadow

ghostshadow

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:18 AM

The project is in deed back up, which is fab. I have the Linksys WUSB11 version 2.5 It has a prism2 chipset, supports packet injection and it also has a detachable antenna on the inside, so you can add a little pigtail to it and add a nice antenna onto it. It's actually a pretty decent little device. You can usually find them on ebay for pretty cheap, you just have to make sure it's the 2.5, because anything else has a different chipset. I think the lower versions are safe too, but the 2.5 is a guarantee safe.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!