Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

http://www.pcworld.c...es/article.html

#2 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

Its great to know that the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency is keeping our streets safe from completely legal hardware, that has legal uses, but can also be used for copyright infringement. I hope they would be as responsive If I asked them to search people for those who might be infringing on my copyrights. How much money crossed hands to let this little operation go ahead :angry:

#3 greeniguana00

greeniguana00

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:29 PM

I think we should have the right to use our hardware how we want it. I use my Xbox to stream internet radio and play DVDs from any region, and that is not causing harm to anyone.

#4 Rambo

Rambo

elite

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

Lol My Xbox is totally modded to the brim with an extra big hard drive n all. Stuff them, maybe i want to back up my legally purchased dvd's?

#5 g3x

g3x

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:02 PM

legally purchased dvd's

:ranaway:

#6 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

legally purchased dvd's

:ranaway:

If you buy a dvd, you should be entitled back up your investment should the dvd scratch or for some reason not work. Also it is more portable (though it might not seem so) to carry around an Xbox or a hard drive than tons of DVD cases. The DVD cases might be lighter, but a have a much greater chance to lose or damage it, with a hard drive, you have one thing, that is a backup of the original. The concept of "only for pirating" is part of the MPAA bullshit.

#7 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:42 PM

I back up /everything/...optical media is way too easy to destroy. Any time I get a new DVD or CD, it gets ripped and stored on my fileserver. This includes copy-protected games. If I pay $60 for some plastic discs, I'm going to make sure I don't lose the data on them because someone ejected my optical drive and left the disc laying on the desktop.

I also prefer the network access aspect of it. I can watch a DVD from any computer in the house without hunting for discs. I can play a game without changing discs, thanks to virtual drives with copy protection emulation. And I'm pretty sure the embedded Linux system I use as an mp3 player wouldn't work nearly as well if I had to get to it to change CDs (awkward location).

Sure, you could call it piracy. But I'm not sharing it with anyone, so where's the harm?

#8 Perf-149

Perf-149

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:52 PM

I am just glad they are using their money wisely!

Hell, what could be more important than mod chips and copyright infringement? Illicit arms importation or drug deals? HAH!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!