• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 oddflux

oddflux

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

Why are you digging up a 6 month old thread to show off your l33t d00d pirated b00kz collection? I think pretty much everyone who posted here has forgotten this thread even exists.

I had no idea it was a six month thread. I was just looking over topics.
Half of those e-books were purchased, with money.

#22 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, some people actually do buy E-books, you know. This might belong in the Retail Hacking section but I bought some E-books from an unnamed vendor online and then did a chargeback on the credit card I used because I didn't realize they weren't hard copy. Well later on, this company switched to a new client-side program for downloading purchased E-books and I got an e-mail telling me how to download the E-books I had "purchased." (similar to the QVC lady from Making Money the BlackHat Way but with virtual goods instead of physical goods.) Not something I did intentionally but it happened.

#23 L33T_j0sH

L33T_j0sH

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:07 AM

Has anyone on this thread thought outside language syntactical model learning ?

I think its essential, more so to learn how to design data structures and algorithms;
the ability to interprete programs consisely is highly regarded, else you write code
with flawed algorithmic ideologies, creating problems for you later on in your
programming career.

I'm not sure, however, if everyone agrees with me here, oh well, here are a few books
I got earlier:

odd@fbzd:~$ ls Documents/programming/design/
Code Complete.pdf
Introduction to Algorithms.pdf linkers_and_loaders.djvu
Programming Pearls.pdf
The Practice of Programming - Kernighan & Pike.pdf
Write Great Code: Understanding the Machine Volume 1.chm
Write Great Code: Volume 2 Thinking Low Level Writing High Level.pdf

Good enough?

I know you did a couple of posts in this thread I wrote oddflux. Here it seems WhatChout completely agrees with you as do I. I plan on doing just as he says and learning these very helpful things first.

If you're into programming more than anything, then starting by learning a programming language is completely wrong. What you should do instead is learn about algortithms and data structures (yet again, the link in my signature) that are completely abstract, and then learn implementation by learning the syntax of a language you want to learn. By starting with any language you are limiting yourself to the paradigm preferred or sometimes enforced by the language. Since you said you're more into programming than anything, then you should learn the ability of solving problems first, not the ability of implementing solutions. You're going to be much better off then.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!