• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 austinator

austinator

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:23 PM

I was thinking of getting into programing and i was wondering what would be a good starting language.
I know html pretty well and javascript ok
but i want to program
so maby python,C++ idk
any suggestions?

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

Certainly not C++. Python is a good choice, go with that. It doesn't really matter what you learn when you start, as long as it's something easy to use. When learning programming, it's the concepts and techniques that you have to learn, syntax and other language specifics aren't so important. Everything you learned with Python will count when (and if) you ever decide to move to a new language.

#3 austinator

austinator

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:53 PM

alright im gonna go do some reading :D

#4 Abhayaa

Abhayaa

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

I agree -- python's a good language to start with. Also consider ruby and ocaml... Since you do a lot of web stuff already, might also consider perl as a possibility (if in part because there are some really good learning resources out there -- for eg the oreilly starting perl book).

Edited by Abhayaa, 27 July 2007 - 10:22 PM.

#5 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Hint: Python works on the web too.

#6 The_STDstroyer

The_STDstroyer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:55 AM

python is great. once i learned it it was easier to understand alot of programming fundimentals.

#7 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:18 AM

Certainly not C++. Python is a good choice, go with that. It doesn't really matter what you learn when you start, as long as it's something easy to use. When learning programming, it's the concepts and techniques that you have to learn, syntax and other language specifics aren't so important. Everything you learned with Python will count when (and if) you ever decide to move to a new language.

C++ was the first programming language I learned and it seemed easy for me.

#8 bigggj

bigggj

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

i started learning Basic, because it's well, basic. Heres the link to Microsoft Visual Studio

#9 BeefyMcNasty

BeefyMcNasty

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Another vote for python. That is waht I am currently working with and it seems to flow well. And from some of the stuff I have seen, it is extremly flexible and it's usage is quite diverse.

#10 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

I started with C++ and then moved to C. I now stick with C.

If you want to start with C++, try my tutorial.

#11 chrionix

chrionix

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 03:07 AM

I started with PASCAL back in the days :P

But nowadays I'd recommend Java. It's fairly self-intuitive and en excellent lead-in to C. It also cuts away the phear of pointers if you plunge straight into a C/C++ variant. Good luck with your coding.

#12 austinator

austinator

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

thanks guys
ive been trying python and i was wondering if anyone knows of of some good sights that teach you it or something
like tutorials
video tutorials are awsome

#13 Vangald

Vangald

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

I would say Basic, C, C#, or Python.

I tried learning C++ first and it kicked my ass.

C# is actually really easy to pick up. Actually, I know it sounds cheesy and a little embarrassing, but C# for kids and VB for Kids are actually good things to read if you start with those languages. Mainly because they make it easy to visualize the different concepts in the languages.

http://msdn.microsof...ds/default.aspx

That plus any of the other .net learning resources are good if you want to pick up one of the .net languages.

As far as python some good resources are actually linked to on the site.

http://wiki.python.o.../BeginnersGuide
http://wiki.python.o.../NonProgrammers
http://docs.python.org/tut/

Edited by Vangald, 02 August 2007 - 10:10 AM.

#14 LordRach

LordRach

H4x0r

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:19 AM

hi,
I think C is the best choice, even if it's a bit hard, after you learn it, nothing can stop you ! you can learn any other language in no time.
why ? because almost all the languages have a lot of similarities to C, for instance : PHP , javascript, java, c#, ...
so just go for it, it worth the pain !

#15 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

hi,
I think C is the best choice, even if it's a bit hard, after you learn it, nothing can stop you ! you can learn any other language in no time.
why ? because almost all the languages have a lot of similarities to C, for instance : PHP , javascript, java, c#, ...

Seeing how C lacks most of the features of those languages (especially object oriented features, which is really a large hurdle when you're learning), that doesn't make too much sense. Even from a low-level point of view, C has little in common with any of those. The only thing C has in common with any of them is a slight syntax likeness.

Though it is easier to learn new languages after your first, no matter what it is. The mental process of composing a program as well as many of the basic features and techniques of the language will be similar, all that's left is to learn the new syntax and features. Eventually, having learned many languages over many years, it gets to the point where learning a new language is almost as easy as looking at some code (or reading a language grammar) to learn the syntax and browse the docs to see which features the language uses.

So to reiterate my advice from long ago (why are you resurrecting a dead thread?): It doesn't really matter what you learn. Any experience will help you, even if it ends up being experience in a language it turns out you have no use for.

#16 Dooms_day

Dooms_day

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

lol i think i started with one of those ti-83 calculator's basic language first :roll:

#17 Beave

Beave

• 350 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

hi,

Seeing how C lacks most of the features of those languages (especially object oriented features, which is really a large hurdle when you're learning), that doesn't make too much sense. Even from a low-level point of view, C has little in common with any of those. The only thing C has in common with any of them is a slight syntax likeness.

Though it is easier to learn new languages after your first, no matter what it is. The mental process of composing a program as well as many of the basic features and techniques of the language will be similar, all that's left is to learn the new syntax and features. Eventually, having learned many languages over many years, it gets to the point where learning a new language is almost as easy as looking at some code (or reading a language grammar) to learn the syntax and browse the docs to see which features the language uses.

So to reiterate my advice from long ago (why are you resurrecting a dead thread?): It doesn't really matter what you learn. Any experience will help you, even if it ends up being experience in a language it turns out you have no use for.

I actually disagree with you there. Many, many moons ago after learning C the transission to perl was a synch. It was almost a no brainer. I'd started even many more moons ago with BASIC, which I believe now is a horrible way to start out. If you plan on being in the *nix world, I think C is a good place to start. Don't be confused with learning C with "mastering" C. I think that the understanding of C, it's syntax and other things will make the transsision to PHP, Perl, Python really easy.

Of course, if you're not looking at working on a *nix plateform, then all bets are off.

#18 oddflux

oddflux

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Has anyone on this thread thought outside language syntactical model learning ?

I think its essential, more so to learn how to design data structures and algorithms;
the ability to interprete programs consisely is highly regarded, else you write code
with flawed algorithmic ideologies, creating problems for you later on in your
programming career.

I'm not sure, however, if everyone agrees with me here, oh well, here are a few books
I got earlier:

odd@fbzd:~$ ls Documents/programming/design/
Code Complete.pdf
Introduction to Algorithms.pdf linkers_and_loaders.djvu
Programming Pearls.pdf
The Practice of Programming - Kernighan & Pike.pdf
Write Great Code: Understanding the Machine Volume 1.chm
Write Great Code: Volume 2 Thinking Low Level Writing High Level.pdf

Good enough?

#19 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Why are you digging up a 6 month old thread to show off your l33t d00d pirated b00kz collection? I think pretty much everyone who posted here has forgotten this thread even exists.

#20 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:20 PM

Designing data structures and algorithms really isn't some major thing. There are two required classes in the CS program at my school, which I'm sure is similar to others, which teach it. Honestly I think the classes are a waste of time. Having a professor sit there and lecture about different types of trees, vectors, linked lists, heaps, stacks, etc. is extremely boring and in my opinion a waste of time, especially when the lab assignments are just re-implementing the same data structures over and over. Once you have a basic understanding of O notation and some good documentation it's really just minor differences and using certain data structures differently.

And I second Ohm's response...stop thread digging.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!