• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 12:06 AM

well where to start... i bought a new 20 gb hd about last year and since about 6 mnths after i bought it i started to recieve an error and i was wondering if anyone here knew precicly what causes this type of error and how to stop it. its called a "delayed write error" and it seems to happen every once in awhile. it goes in spurts. for maybe a month it will happen all the time and then it stops and then months down the road it will start up again. now i did do a google search for it and the only responce i got was to replace the hard drive. well i don't know about you guys but i don't have the money for a new hd!!! i've checked my cable connections in the box and everything is fine there but it causes huge lasting problems with my box. i recently had to re-install windows and format both of my hard drives due to this error and lost everything that i downloaded. so if anyone can help me out that would be great.

Thanx

#2 nick84

nick84

• 1,680 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 05:50 AM

Well things to try:

Replace the IDE cable completely as one of the wires may be loose inside.
Check you case isnt too hot inside.
Possibly buy a hard disk fan.
Check the power supply is giving the correct regulated voltage (not sure how you would do this) / swap to another power lead going to your hard drive.
Check your power supply isnt overloaded: http://www.howstuffw...wer-supply3.htm

Havent you got anything to backup your files (which you should be doing anyway?) old hard drive / cd burner / copy them over a network to another comp etc.

#3 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:01 AM

i have a cd burner but once this happens usually i can't get to the drive again. i've used knoppix to try to get the stuff that i want to keep. this hard drive is used to store my gigs for p2p sharing so i have anime, movies, music and appz in this drive. but no i don't usually back up the drive. but i found the problem with the drive this time. kindda ironic but i have a folder dedicated to internet radio show and it happen to be my RFA folder that was corupt :lol: but now i can't get rid of the folder because now it sez that the folder can't be read. i've even tried to wipe it but that won't work either. i'll probably back up the drive and format and re-install the drivers.

but can someone tell me what would cause this error to happen, is it hardware or software?

Should i replace the cable from the motherboard? and my case when i opened it last wasn't hot in there. and for the hard disk fan would that be like a heat sink?

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:41 AM

hard disk fans general sit below the HD and bloe kool air over it. not a heat sink.

Unfortunately, the rest of your questions are kinda hard to diagnose without being there to try some things.

Am I to understand that it happen in Windows only? Or sometimes with Knoppix also? What file system are you using? Maybe try it with another file system and see if it works any better. (Fat32, NTFS, etc...)

#5 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 10:32 AM

i havn't seen it happen in knoppix yet. but yea it happens in windows. i was currently using NTFS and it happen faster than when i had it fat32 ( i figured that NTFS would fix the problem since i'm using xp. god this fucking sucks. i think i might just have to suck it up and buy a new box.

#6 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 11:22 AM

are the master/slave jumper settings correct? If you have them on Cable Select "CS" then try hard setting them to master and slave settings.

does the error message you quoted come from windows? from the bi0s? the ROM for the controller card? What is generating this error?

OK, I did a little more research and found the following knowledge base article:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;330174

It sounds like you just need to tweak some settings as described. Let me know if this works(or if you have already tried it).

#7 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 12:24 PM

you know what i was looking at that last night!!!! f**king a dude. it sez something to the effect that it will make your saving or some shiznit faster and here it fu*ks up my computer!!! :flameon: :flameon: Fu*k this dude!!! if the people in my house were more open and willing to learn a new os i would install some fuc*ing Linux on my box so god damn fast Bill Gates would fu*king Sh*t his fuc*ing pants. FU*K YOU WINDOWS!!!!! jesus christ. its not a security flaw its a feature!!! fu*k fu*k fu*k!!!!!!! at least i don't have to pay for a fu*king update to fix the problem!!!!

whoa!! sorry guys but this has seriously pissing me off!!!

ok i'm fine now i just needed to get that out!! :D

Thanks Stank!!! :rockon:

#8 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 01:16 PM

well i swapped the ide cable out and there was a problem with the cable. it seems that one of the wires had a bit of it cut out!!! this is amazing how the computer company can sell shit like this!!! but like i said i swaped the cable out and so far so good!! no error yet but since that "special feature" with the hard drive slows performance i will keep that on, and if the error comes back then i will turn that off then.

Thanx to Everyone that helped. :D

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!