• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 05:42 PM

CNET Networks, Inc announced today that it has acquired certain assets of MP3.com, Inc.

Please be advised that on Tuesday, December 2, 2003 at 12:00 PM PST the MP3.com website will no longer be accessible in its current form.

Following a transition period, CNET Networks, Inc. plans to introduce new and enhanced artist services. If you would like to receive email updates on these new services and notification when they are available, as well as an invitation to their special artists-only preview, please sign up here.

Your personal information, music, images, related content or other information will not be transferred to CNET Networks, Inc. or any other third party.

MP3.com's content administration tools will remain available until the site is redirected on December 2, 2003. Please note, however, that promptly following the removal of the MP3.com website, all content will be deleted from our servers and all previously submitted tapes, CD-ROMs and other media in our possession will be destroyed. We recommend that you make alternative content hosting arrangements as soon as practicable.

Please remember to update or remove all links and references to the URL www.mp3.com. Additionally if you would like a historical record of your page, we recommend that you capture screen shots of the page as well as your artist statistics pages since they will no longer be available once the site goes offline.

MP3.com stopped collecting monthly fees for Gold and Platinum Artist Service subscriptions as of November 3, 2003. For any monthly Gold or Platinum Artist Service subscription fees MP3.com received during the period beginning October 13, 2003 and ending November 2, 2003, MP3.com will be issuing a refund that will be prorated to reflect a termination of the subscription as of November 2, 2003. For any previously paid annual Gold and Platinum subscription fees MP3.com has received during 2003, MP3.com will be issuing a refund that will be prorated to reflect a termination of the subscription as of November 2, 2003. Any artists who subscribed to the Platinum or Gold Artist Service after November 2, 2003 will receive a full refund of any fees paid.

If you subscribe to any other MP3.com services, you will receive separate email messages with specific information about refunds and service availability.

Participants in the truSONIC Business Music Service program will be receiving an email update about the process for their continued participation in that program.

All content uploads will cease immediately. Approvals of previously uploaded content will continue through Friday, November 14, 2003.

CDs will be available for purchase through Monday, November 17, 2003 at 12:00 PM PST.

MP3.com will perform a final artist accounting and check distribution on or around December 1, 2003. Any artist account with a balance of at least $25.00 will qualify to receive a payment in the final artist accounting (reduced from the usual requirement of $50.00). Payment of CD royalties will be included in the final artist accounting. If you anticipate a payment, please verify and update your artist account and contact information no later than November 20, 2003. Click here for help updating your contact information.

Please be sure to check the Sophie message board and System Service Report (SSR) for further updates.

On behalf of all of us at MP3.com we thank you for your patronage and continued support. It has been a privilege to host one of the largest and most diverse collections of music in the world. MP3.com wishes to express its sincere thanks to each of you for making our website an important part of your musical journey. We wish you continued success.

Sincerely,
MP3.com

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 09:59 PM

they were getting pretty crummy anyway. <_<

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:03 PM

crummy

stank...just say shitty dude...come on it wont hurt, only once...

#4 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:15 PM

crummy

must...resist...saying...shitty... OOPS!!! AAAAAARGGGHHH!!! oh fudge! ;)

#5 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:23 PM

sometimes for me its the opposite, where it is more difficult TO sware

#6 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• 813 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:45 PM

They were cool when I joined them in 1999. There wasn't any place like that. Now if you want to get some CDs made cheap you can have Cafe Press do it.

#7 Ws_Ninja[CSR]

Ws_Ninja[CSR]

What number are we thinking of?

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 10:46 PM

damn that sucks i got a lot good Jams offa mp3.com now ill just have to wait for the closing song on binrev to find good bands eh?

#8 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 15 November 2003 - 11:03 PM

crummy

must...resist...saying...shitty... OOPS!!! AAAAAARGGGHHH!!! oh fudge! ;)

you could say super duper again!!! :D :lol: :D

#9 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 16 November 2003 - 02:13 AM

mp3.com was cool. It was a fun way to discover new and different types of music. It is a real shame that it was going away. The web needs more sites like that, sites that let any two-bit musician with a computer and some kind of recording equipment to get his/her music out there.
<_<

#10 Majestic

Majestic

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Banned
  • 456 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 03:30 PM

:mumble: Man I loved that Electronica Section.. Antinomie was a great section to download .. I loved the House Medley 2003... You will be missed MP3.com .. ohh well www.windowsmedia.com <------- Not the same, but also free and good! :grr:

#11 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 10:56 PM

mp3.com was cool. It was a fun way to discover new and different types of music. It is a real shame that it was going away. The web needs more sites like that, sites that let any two-bit musician with a computer and some kind of recording equipment to get his/her music out there.
<_<

the web DOES need mroe sites lik ethat...but mp3.com turned into an outlet for mainstream stuff....not at all was it started out as. :(

#12 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 11:27 PM

the MP3.com website will no longer be accessible in its current form.

what does that mean? coming back as something different? better?

and does anyone know why they are leaving?

#13 GUEST_-gluttony-_***

GUEST_-gluttony-_***
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2003 - 12:17 AM

that totally sucks. As much as they promoted corporate artists I think at the low level it was all to keep the site maintainable for the independents.
I have been using MP3.com since about 1997 and I remember there were only a handful of people using their services back then, because it was new. If you wanted to support the artists you could buy an MP3 for 25c or 50c, instead of a DAM CD which is what the artists sell instead now. Thinking about how MP3.com sold MP3s back then seems funny now, they definitely knew what people wanted.
Still today it is the most vast online archive of free music and an excellent way to promote yourself.
this really bums me out :wacko:

#14 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 21 November 2003 - 07:08 PM

It sux that mp3.com is going the way of the dodo. I haven't been there in eons, so I can;t say what the quality was like anymore. Since most of the music I listen to these days is by dead people, I didn;t go there too much (just got a bunch o' Doors stuff from the iTunes store).

I used to like IUMA, but they changed their look a while back and I haven;t been there much...they used to have a very cool retro look. They have free MP3s from unsigned bands in just about any genre........

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!