• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xcalibur

xcalibur

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

Does anyone know when steering wheel locks became standard on most vehicals? We've all seen cars hotwired in movies, but a lot of those cars aren't that old (late 90s). I'm wondering if it's just hollywood or if those locks are actually a lot newer than I thought.

Edited by xcalibur, 22 July 2007 - 07:14 PM.

#2 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

Does anyone know when steering wheel locks became standard on most vehicals? We've all seen cars hotwired in movies, but a lot of those cars aren't that old (late 90s). I'm wondering if it's just hollywood or if those locks are actually a lot newer than I thought.

Are you talking about the part that keeps you from turning the wheel while the ignition switch is 'off' or the ignition switch itself?

#3 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

The part that keeps the wheel from turning when ignition is set to off.

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

Are you talking about the part that keeps you from turning the wheel while the ignition switch is 'off' or the ignition switch itself?

Dunno... I want to say, I remember my dads 73 LeMans had it... I don't remember my brothers 68 GTO having it... it could have been broke... dunno... My '79 certainly has it.

It's amazing how easy it is to start an older car with the flat-blade screwdriver and a strong wrist. I think that's why they (the manufactures) are going with those 'magnetically' encoded keys...

Reminds me.. I gotta still get a tennis ball & try something out...

#5 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

See, that's what's making me wonder. When my Jeep get out of the shop I think I'm gonna try to do a clean hotwire and see what kind of safty messures I have on it. This all sparked when I was watching a show called 'traveller' and this one guy stole a 98 jeep cherokee (my exact model) without doing anything about a steering wheel lock. Kinda scares me, you know?

Oh, oh, I know this one! Hole in the tennis ball, put it over lock, and pop the lock, right?

#6 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:30 PM

See, that's what's making me wonder. When my Jeep get out of the shop I think I'm gonna try to do a clean hotwire and see what kind of safty messures I have on it. This all sparked when I was watching a show called 'traveller' and this one guy stole a 98 jeep cherokee (my exact model) without doing anything about a steering wheel lock. Kinda scares me, you know?

Oh, oh, I know this one! Hole in the tennis ball, put it over lock, and pop the lock, right?

right. I still haven't tried that... I have to get my CO2 tank refilled... I'll try it with that... 1500+ psi unregulated and see what happens... either it works... it freezes the lock shut... or just blows it into the door... or absolutely nothing.. I'm expecting the nothing.

#7 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, when my buddies tried it nothing happened, but they may have done it wrong. Make sure to post the results! I'm pretty interested myself.

#8 NextelFoe

NextelFoe

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

GM started using the "Saginaw" type steering column in late 60's. These have a pin that interlocks with a notched plate when the ignition switch is in the off position. Chrysler started using a modified Saginaw a few years after that. To hotwire and drive these down the street, you have to bang a hole in the column underneath, in the turn signal area. There is a weird linkage made of some pot metal that the thieves break and manipulate to start the car and drive away without problems. (If it isn't a chipped key) Of course, you never see this in H'wood. There are a few force tools that work well for the Fords. There is one for GM as well, but it is ugly and time consuming to use. I am a Locksmith that works primarily on vehicles, see the peeled columns all the time.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!