Photo
- - - - -

I'm Slacked!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 05:37 PM

Yes it took 2 days to get it finnaly configed and got lilo to boot xp. All i need to do is get a new modem, my old one, from 1998, just wount work. 1 question though, I picked kde as my xwindow system, Its ok, but I would like to switch and see how the other ones are, and how do you make it look all cool like the rest of you have yours, and I opened up that system monitor program and it is only seeing 1 processor, what do i do there.

#2 the spanish inquisition

the spanish inquisition

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:40 PM

i could be wrong but the last time i looked linux "out of the box" so to speak didnt support dual processors

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:43 PM

yeah, i think you have to recompile your kernel for smp (simmetric multi processing)....but i could be wrong, btw try 2.6 if you wanna recompile, its worth it.

#4 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 06:57 PM

any place I can look to get some help with that, cause I'm like the ultra-newb to linux.

#5 vooduHAL

vooduHAL

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 415 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 07:26 PM

Check out the kernel howto and yes, you have to compile in SMP (Symmetric multi processing ) support. I think it's in the general setup section. You'll have to download the kernel source from www.kernel.org. If you're new to linux, I wouldn't go with a 2.6 kernel. Stick with 2.4.22 and you should be fine, although some distros come with multiple kernels to install from the disk so there may be a kernel-2.4.x-smp some where on your install media. I don't think slack does unfortunately. Kernel compilation can be very trick if you are new to linux. My suggestion would be to install debian and use one of their pre-built kernels with smp support. I know, I know, everyone is going to say he should just build one himself, but to all those, do you remember when you were new to linux, do you really think you could have made it through a kernel build without having to reinstall 10-15 times? Although, if you want, give me a complete break down of your hardware and I can build a custom kernel for you. Anyway, good luck.

#6 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 07:51 PM

its really just a matter of preparation and knowing your hardware, also DO NOT delete your current working kernel, rename it to vmlinuz.old and update lilo, also remember to type in lilo in a console after you edit lilo.conf or you WILL be fuxked.

#7 v90

v90

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:56 PM

For switching DEs' or WMs', just go to pkgtool as root and there will be an option somewhere in there, if you go there it will have a thing for the WMs'/DEs', I know this is vague but just check pkgtool out... Not sure if it's in the 9.X releases as I still use 8.1 ^_^

#8 djmollusk

djmollusk

resident chix0r magnet

• 813 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 10:11 PM

For switching DEs' or WMs', just go to pkgtool as root and there will be an option somewhere in there, if you go there it will have a thing for the WMs'/DEs', I know this is vague but just check pkgtool out... Not sure if it's in the 9.X releases as I still use 8.1 ^_^

yeah they have pkgtool still...

thats one of the programs that keeps me with slack and not with red hat or fedora or something.

#9 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 10:34 PM

well, I'll have to look and see what my motherboard is, bit I do have dual p3 overclocked at 930MHz each. Two hard drives, a 30 gig ibm, and a 6 gig maxtor (yeah, I know, I need to get some cash before I get my next drive, which I plan to be 200 gigs), and an the video card and audio are seperate cards. Does that work? I will try to do this myself, but now I'm worried about setting up lilo, it is in my MBR, and I don't wat to fuxor it up (although i can just go into xp and delete the partitions or something to fix it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!