• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Affinity

Affinity

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

The video is just some background music with text to read, but it is very interesting. It basically puts into perspective the next 40 years of our life.

Video

#2 ansichart

ansichart

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:46 PM

Some of the "facts" I have to call bullshit on though.

Such as:

Predictions are that by 2013 s supercomputer will be built that exceeds the computation capability of the human brain.

com·pu·ta·tion (kŏm'pyʊ-tā'shən) pronunciation
n.

1. The act or process of computing.
2. A method of computing.
2. The result of computing.
3. The act of operating a computer.

com·pute (kəm-pyūt') pronunciation

v., -put·ed, -put·ing, -putes.

v.tr.

1. To determine by mathematics, especially by numerical methods: computed the tax due. See synonyms at calculate.
2. To determine by the use of a computer.

v.intr.

1. To determine an amount or number.
2. To use a computer.
3. Informal. To be reasonable, plausible, or consistent; make sense: Your alibi doesn't compute.

Well, by the American Heritage Dictionary definition, computers already compute faster than the average human brain. It seems that computing is based with numbers and computers are much quicker at that than humans are (not counting the super humans)

#3 Affinity

Affinity

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:02 AM

Some of the "facts" I have to call bullshit on though.

Such as:

Predictions are that by 2013 s supercomputer will be built that exceeds the computation capability of the human brain.

com·pu·ta·tion (kŏm'pyʊ-tā'shən) pronunciation
n.

1. The act or process of computing.
2. A method of computing.
2. The result of computing.
3. The act of operating a computer.

com·pute (kəm-pyūt') pronunciation

v., -put·ed, -put·ing, -putes.

v.tr.

1. To determine by mathematics, especially by numerical methods: computed the tax due. See synonyms at calculate.
2. To determine by the use of a computer.

v.intr.

1. To determine an amount or number.
2. To use a computer.
3. Informal. To be reasonable, plausible, or consistent; make sense: Your alibi doesn't compute.

Well, by the American Heritage Dictionary definition, computers already compute faster than the average human brain. It seems that computing is based with numbers and computers are much quicker at that than humans are (not counting the super humans)

Yea, strictly speaking in the exact meaning of the word you're right. But what they really meant was that computers will be more intelligent than us. I agree with the BS on the time frame though, I don't think it will be as soon as 2013. Maybe by 2013 we will have real AI capable of learning and expanding....one can hope at least :P

#4 ansichart

ansichart

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

"If the robots win we'll have to listen to techno! ... HECK NO! HECK NO! We'll never listen to techno!"

... anyway, I can see this being the beginning of many of those sci-fi movies Machines vs Humans!

I wonder when they will start taking a human brains and implementing it into a computer system. Biotechnology with Computer technology intertwined to give a computer its own intelligence... that's the only way to go. Then it will be like a sci-fi movie.

#5 Affinity

Affinity

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:43 AM

"If the robots win we'll have to listen to techno! ... HECK NO! HECK NO! We'll never listen to techno!"

... anyway, I can see this being the beginning of many of those sci-fi movies Machines vs Humans!

I wonder when they will start taking a human brains and implementing it into a computer system. Biotechnology with Computer technology intertwined to give a computer its own intelligence... that's the only way to go. Then it will be like a sci-fi movie.

I for one am excited at the idea of AI. Imagine the possibilities. Ignoring the negative sci-fi stereotypes associated with AI, I strongly believe that machines reaching the intelligence levels of humans will cause the human race to evolve to the next level. As machines evolve into conscious beings capable of learning and expanding their knowledge base they will be able to contribute to society in ways that benefit humanity as a whole. On the human side of the equation, in order to preserve our existence and avoid obsolescence we too will become more advanced in ways of thought. I basically picture AI and human intelligence as coinciding intelligences with two unique perspectives on knowledge. Machines will always have the pure computational power to analyze the raw data, and most likely will forever be limited to performing mathematical equations to their "thinking". While humans are flawed in the area of exactness, we have logical reasoning and creative thinking to expand the horizon.

I would love to be alive when the day comes that we employ machines to do the mundane and dangerous tasks instead of humans. For the skeptical, refer to the adage "Master technology or technology will master you". So long as we as a race are able to further develop and contribute knowledge we will never be replaced by machines as a whole. While I believe their are certain professions that humans should be replaced by machines exist their will always be room for the human perspective and contribution. I think all medical fields should have machines taking the place of humans, this would benefit society greatly for two reasons. One, the error level would be reduced to near non existent, and two the cost would become nothing more than the supplies needed giving everyone the benefit of having the greatest level of care at minimal cost. I also believe all labor jobs should be taken by machines: if we're going to outsource them anyway might as well reduce the cost to zero. This would allow us as a species to further evolve our intellect.

Anyway I don't feel like going much further into my beliefs on the synergy of AI and human intelligence.

Edit: :( i like techno

Edited by Affinity, 18 July 2007 - 03:46 AM.

#6 greeniguana00

greeniguana00

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

Just recently a super computer was able to emulate half of a mouse brain. Then look at Moore's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
I don't think we will get there in 6 years. Then you need to realize that the emulated mouse brain was just emulating random neurons. They weren't set up to actually do anything.
Broadband stats: http://www.oecd.org/...1_1_1_1,00.html

#7 ansichart

ansichart

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

Edit: :( i like techno

It's a song, "If the robots win we'll have to listen to techno... HECK NO! HECK NO! We'll never listen to techno!"

Anyway, they should have some references on that video that show where they got that information, I want to look some of them up and see how valid of a source they are. Especially with the super computer thing, BS!

#8 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

It seems that computing is based with numbers and computers are much quicker at that than humans are (not counting the super humans)

We should keep in mind how much computation the human mind does on a subconscious level - such as in the case of deciphering visual information our brain receives.

#9 Tonto

Tonto

Mack Daddy 31337

• Banned
  • 206 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

I want to be the first cyborg

#10 ansichart

ansichart

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

I want to be the first cyborg

Sorry dude, Arnold Schwarzenegger beat you too it in 1984.

#11 Tonto

Tonto

Mack Daddy 31337

• Banned
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

No, he came back from the future to save humanity. I'm just gonna be a cyborg in the nowand here

#12 A_Brilliant_Display

A_Brilliant_Display

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 04:08 PM

Dude.that.video.has.some.interesting.facts.Like.the.text.messages.one.

#13 Perf-149

Perf-149

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

A lot of the stuff said in the video is interesting, and true, but it really isn't all that extraordinary.

If MySpace was a country, it would be the 11th largest in the world (between Japan and Mexico).

Oh shit, that would be one fucked up country.

#14 thenotwist

thenotwist

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

A lot of the stuff said in the video is interesting, and true, but it really isn't all that extraordinary.

If MySpace was a country, it would be the 11th largest in the world (between Japan and Mexico).

Oh shit, that would be one fucked up country.

Well, the population wouldn't last for so long with all them emos on there ^^

#15 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

"Cybernetic organism" claim in the movie or not, the Terminator is not a cyborg. Sorry, had to say that.

Hopefully the transition into posthumanism goes smoothly. I doubt it will, even if we don't fuck ourselves over way before the singularity would come to pass. Even if we don't crunch ourselves before we gain the knowledge allowing us to transform into posthuman beings, _and_ think we have it under control, the black swan effect is always there.

#16 zule

zule

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

heh, reminds me of the mayan (but not just the mayans) 2012 prediction.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!