Photo
- - - - -

Finding vulnerabilities

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 3ni-T

3ni-T

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

:ninja: hi everyone! can anyone answer my question plz? i just want to know how to find vulnerabilities(or something like that) just like what the title says. if anyone can help me plz reply. :ninja:

#2 dapirates

dapirates

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

use www.securityfocus.com and http://milw0rm.com :blink:

#3 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

Do you want to search for the vulnerabilities yourself, or do you want to have a website listing them?

#4 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

If it's the first, learn assembly and play with fuzzers.

By the way, please don't write plz.

#5 plex0r

plex0r

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 04:02 PM

plz plz plz

#6 ansichart

ansichart

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

plz plz plz

You are a funny one aren't you.

So you want to find vulnerabilities... well, let's start at step 1.

You have to use creativeness and think like a programmer... (pretty close definition to what a hacker is).
And like IronGeek said, "If it's the first, learn assembly and play with fuzzers."

Learning assembly will get you really far. But also... you can always just go with trial and error, and input unexpected data... such as nothing at all (blank), very large ammount of data, or a string when it asks for a number, etc.

Also, reading about Buffer Overflow Exploitation, very interesting concept.

Buffer Overflow exploitation is very fun to mess around with, however... it's going to be dead soon.

Edited by ansichart, 08 July 2007 - 11:02 PM.

#7 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 03:54 AM

Stop, take 12 steps backwards and try to assess what it is you want to do. Say you find a vulnerability, what could you do with it? If you don't know what they are or how to find them, you're not going to know what to do with it. This is not a top-down kind of thing, you can't start with the more complex action and learn your way down. You have to start with the most fundamental and learn your way up. Learn to program (well), then ask yourself this question again.

#8 Dex

Dex

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:00 AM

This above addvice is what i did before i even thought about looking for vulnerabilities, Now i see vulnerabilities all over the place.
But i do not know if it's just me, but when your new to coding/hacking you want to take addvantage of all these vulnerabilities, but once you have the knowledge and can easy find them, i seem less interested in taking addvantage.

#9 orion

orion

H4x0r

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:35 AM

Start by scan with a port scan to find open port eg is nmap like: nmap 203.65.39.20 -O this will tell you the ports open as well has the OS, next try connecting to the ports that are open like 21(ftp), to connect use telnet : telnet 203.65.39.20 21 this will give you the banner like proftp version 1.2.7 etc, next goto milworn,insecure eg and find a exploit for that port and version, run that exploit, the rest is then up to you

hope it helps

#10 j0nin

j0nin

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:40 AM

Here's some advice that I personally think is very good. Instead of looking for vulnerabilities start by learning a scripting language such as PHP, ASP, or Perl. Then read a book like Hacking Web Applications Exposed. Then go on the web and download some free scripts that webamsters used for things like logs, shopping carts, mailing list, etc. These kind of applications are likely written by one person and did not go through a lot of testing. Then play around with Fuzzers and see if you can make the applications crash or do something they're not supposed to. Then read a book or article that teaches you how to write exploit code, shell code, buffer overflows, etc. A good one in my opinion is Hacking: The Art of Exploitation. Download the Metasploit Framework and get familiar with that and how to use it to write exploits. And all of this will probably take you about 6 months to a year to learn and master. and by this time you probably will still not be able to write your own effective exploits. So basically it takes a lot of time, reading, learning, and experimenting. good luck.

#11 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

If you attempt to learn a programming language to exploit you probably wont be very good at it. Finding bugs and exploiting them in a byproduct of understanding the language and having a good understanding of the environment that it is in. Most people who learn to exploit don't get this deep level of understanding but instead focus on the surface only learning how to exploit very obvious bugs. When it takes some creativity to actually exploit it they are unable to do so because they only have enough understanding to exploit within specific circumstances.

#12 oddflux

oddflux

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:01 PM

Learn C -- Once you've leapt over that hurdle, come back, and ask again.

#13 operat0r

operat0r

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

I can't even call myself a skiddie its sad. I can't seem to get past the basics in coding ... I feel like I hit a brick wall when it comes to programing. I think its the ADD but I know ( from experience ) if i have a need to learn it I can pick it up most the time quicker then others but sort of bass ackkward ... I hope once I get a entry level security job I can make the jump into hard core perl php etc.

Edited by operat0r, 16 July 2007 - 06:42 AM.

#14 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

I can't even call myself a skiddie its sad. I can't seem to get past the basics in coding ... I feel like I hit a brick wall when it comes to programing. I think its the ADD but I know ( from experience ) if i have a need to learn it I can pick it up most the time quicker then others but sort of bass ackkward ... I hope once I get a entry level security job I can make the jump into hard core perl php etc.

People here can help answer your questions about programming, so you should just ask.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!