• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 d3xter

d3xter

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

I have red alot of papers and docs about hacking / cracking / linux. However I do find it so overwhelming, I saw that some folks helped "ali ali" with his exploit questions even with his bad grammar ^^. I would like to get some tips and direction myself. I now have opensuse 10.2 / windows xp on my pc. I am going to switch to "Linux from Scratch", it sounds like a real learning way. but then what? Learn to Program... What langauge? Perl or Python? I am not going to be some scriptkiddie, I dispise the idea of cracking with no knowledge at all and i don't care about hacking school. ( like it helps teachers keep grades also hand written :P ). So some Q here.

1- Hacking lab; 1 pc with emulators or phisycal boxes? (I like the idea of having 3 pc's under my desk and 3 monitors for attack / chatting, info / defend. :)
Does someone has a hack lab? pls tell me :) I googled alot and didn't find anything usefull.
2- Programm; I am despered to learn to programm where to start, witch language, books?

So on my holday i am going to linux alot and buy books and keep on learning. If someone would mentor me a little ( Steering on what to learn and why ), so that one day I can feed my wifde and kids by hacking or penn testing ( If I get one :P ).

Greetings, d3xter

#2 Yudi

Yudi

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Lot of stuff, here's some answers: (opinions, really)

1. If you are just switching to Linux, get something like Ubuntu. Most distros are confusing to new users.

2. As for what language - you might want to start with C, but if it has to be one of those two, I think Perl is better.

3. Hacking lab - Try starting with one regular-use box, and one for hacking into. Also try Hackthissite.org.

#3 d3xter

d3xter

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:51 AM

Thank you yudi for your replie. Well I know my way around linux and opensuse annoy's me like hell since zen update manager is kinda buggy :P. I am trying to choose betweeen slack,deb or lfs. But lfs really attracts me. If my linux box is done I will go and check the C out I red alot about the C book of P&K maybe I will buy it.

The hacking into box. Are there papers about making a hacking into box? Witch distro? windows or linux? for sure it must be a local server. Any tips on that one?
Summer is about to start and I have alot of time :), Well first I am going to listen to alot of your radio casts on my ipod :P.

Thank you, d3xter

#4 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

You should choose a language that fits your needs. Most hacking labs I've seen are just computers connected into LAN. BinRev has a mentorship program, but I don't know if it's active. (http://www.binrev.co...ts/mentors.html)

For free books on most of the computer related subjects, go to http://freecomputerbooks.com/.

The hacking into box. Are there papers about making a hacking into box?

There's no such thing as making a hacking, it's even grammatically incorrect if you know what "hacking" means. Hacking isn't baking a fruit cake, you cannot describe a hack that will always work. Just like you won't find papers on how to be an artist, or a musician, you won't find papers that tell you "how to hack" in a way that will always work.

for sure it must be a local server.

Don't want to disturb your logic, but the whole idea behind servers is that they are public. Even if it was a "local server" wouldn't change anything.

Edited by WhatChout, 05 July 2007 - 01:50 AM.

#5 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:00 AM

If you really want to learn linux, don't start with linux from scratch, that's not really the purpose. Pick a distro that you like and that does what you want. Personally I think that Slackware is one of the best distros for really learning the operating system and how to run it. It doesn't hold you hand but it makes everything very simple to do. It's not going to do everything for you and you will have to read sometimes to figure out how to really get something to work the way that you will want it to, but Slackware is one of the most stable well supported distros out there. As far as languages go it really depends on what you want to do. But please don't poison your mind with perl, I'd recommend starting with C or python. I'm not a python programmer, but it seems as though learning it will really give you a grasp of object oriented programming and get your mind wrapped around programming. C can be a very elegant language to program in and offers a lot of power. It also will force you to do a lot of work that languages such as python wont.

#6 d3xter

d3xter

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:06 AM

To set some things right, I ment with "hacking into box" the computer witch will be my target to practice on. With the local server I ment that is is only reachable on lan. and with server I ment a computer using server applications like apache, ftp, shh etc etc. I am sorry for my incorrect grammar however thanks for the mentor programm link going to check it out :). So I gues C is the language I am going to focus on :).

Greetings, d3xter

#7 bigggj

bigggj

elite

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

I would start learning Basic, its easy to learn and easier to use. Heres a link to get the program:

Here

Go down to Visual Basic Express Edition and download it :-)

#8 d3xter

d3xter

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

Someone please shoot my dog.. Visual Basic?? <_<.

I bet that was Bill Gates sitting behind his vista trying to promote microsoft on bin rev.

I aplied for the mentor programm if someone would like to make some time for me ( <-1hour a week or less ) to chat a little about directions and some tips, I would apprecied it.

No kidding biggj, I don't want to learn VB I want to learn linux/unix/networking/Programming (C. Perl. Python. Lisp etc )/ how to make a living being a geek.
Greetings D3xter

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!