• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xof7

xof7

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:41 AM

I just got my first car as a high school graduation present. I dont have my license yet but the cars kind of my parents way of saying get your shit together.

I used to be into the whole car thing about 5 years ago but i've since forgot anything that I knew.

Can anyone point me to a forum that is newb friendly? I'm looking to do a few small changes on the car, such as new spark plugs, new ground wires, stuff like that to maybe get a little more out of the car and better gas mileage if possible.

#2 Sensayshun

Sensayshun

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:34 AM

Firstly congratulations.

Changing ground wires will only really help if your current ones are completely shot, same with spark plugs. But obviously every little helps and getting some nice shiny new ones may help fuel consumption a little. I don't know how much you know about cars but don't go buying these 'super high platinum content rubbed in the flaming faeces of the rarest mystical dragon in the world' spark plugs. A spark is a spark, and will ignite the fuel. That's all they're there for :)

As for sites. There're probably quite a few car people here. I know there's some honda people here, and although they drive hondas (joke guys, joke) they don't know THAT little :P

I also recommend the forums section of streetfire: http://forums.streetfire.net/
They also have an awesome videos section if you ever want to check it out. But their search feature currently doesn't work, you have to use the OTHER search button above the one you'd normally click in.

Also google for a forum specific to your car make and preferably model, the people there will know an awful lot of in depth information. Alot of useful hints and tips and they'll also know what are the common points of failure on that vehicle.

Good luck either way :D

#3 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:31 AM

The more air and gas you can get into an engine, the faster it will be.

Get some good spark plugs, high flow air filter, get itrolling road tuned if possible. Also lowering the back end can help keep the front wheels down, especially if it's front wheel drive.

*reminisces about first car aka mobile sex hotel*

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:34 AM

What kind of car is it??

#5 Remix

Remix

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 10:59 AM

First things first...

Cold Air Intake

Exhaust system from the cat, don't wast your time with a FnF tip.

if your gonna get plugs and wires make sure the gauge is right, a lot of "after market" wires are OEM width with a pretty color covering them.

Is the car manual ??

#6 Sensayshun

Sensayshun

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

If you're going to do breathing at least go the whole way. Air filter and exhaust will help but it will move your torque curve up and you risk burning valves unless you get a decent cam as well. Once you've done those there's no point doing the cold air intake if there're restrictions elsewhere so then you may as well get a decent sized throttle body too.

And by that point you've spent more money on your car than it's probably worth.
Unless you plan on keeping this car for a long time, just make it get good gas mileage. Modifications for speed will not give you much speed at all unless you're shelling out big bucks. Just bear in mind that if it were that cheap to make the car that much faster, the manufacturers would have done it in the first place.

If a cold air intake gave you a 0-60 2 seconds faster, they would have shoved a cold air intake on there.

#7 xof7

xof7

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:19 AM

Its a 94 buick skylark, coupe.

Its not bad for free, and my first car. I cant see myself putting more then a few hundred dollars into the car.
I will check out those forums and poke around a bit.
Thanks for the help.

#8 MrGreggie

MrGreggie

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:10 PM

Let me help you out a bit. First, to get it out of the way, it's not going to be fast (unless you have $$$ and a specific obsession to make it fast), but it doesn't have to be to make it fun. Lets look at power...

It's an older engine (I'm assuming you're getting the 4 banger), more torque heavy compared to what you see today so won't breath well at high RPMs. A shot in the dark, a custom intake will probably net you 2-4 hp. However, if the engine isn't too worn, you'll be able to note a nice improvement in throttle response. I don't think anybody is making parts for this, so prepare to build one yourself.

As for exhaust, I'd have a muffler shop weld on something slick if you want a little rumble, but just go for a shiny tip otherwise. The header is probably the most restrictive part, and again I doubt you'll find much of an aftermarket, so all new piping is a waste unless it needs to be replaced anyway.

Other than that, keep it clean and well maintained. If you have any specific questions or any projects you plan on starting, kick me a message and I'd be glad to lend some advice.

#9 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

One of the best mods I did for my 455 was a msd 6a ingition module.. That thing really gave me more power (from just spinning tires out of the parking lot to smoking the tires out of the parking lot... NO power braking by the way) Also it bumped my milage up by about 20-25%. Your results will probably differ... but I'm a convert now.. will have them on all my cars from now on. -even changed the smell of the exhaust.. Yes... learn the exhaust smells.. it can teach you alot.

Don't know how much it'd improve a 4 banger... but my 8 loves it!!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!