• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sidepocket

Sidepocket

mad 1337

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:49 AM

Ok, so I was browsing Netflix again (fuck Bockbuster Total Access) and I found that the documentary Hacking Democracy was available to rent. I am joyed, I saw this film and I liked it. Took all my thoughts about those electronic voting machines and put them all in one cohesive video.

I could tell people liked it, everyone gave it 4 or 5 stars...except one.

Hmmm, I did not see Michael Moore's name in the credits. However, it sure look like one of his pieces of fiction. First, the people in the movie are all far left people who think that Bush is a closet computer hacker who found a way to hack in to the voting machines. Second, their so called experts also don't know what they are talking about. They claim you can hack the voting machines by using a laptop, or by pre-loading a program memory card and replacing the same memory card in the voting machine with your hacked card. Ok, let me get this straight your going to take your laptop in the the voting center and hook it up to the voting machine(s) with out anyone noticing. Or even better your going to take apart the voting machine pull out the serial numbered memory card and replace it with your memory card (with out the serial number) all with an election judge standing over your shoulder. Oh and as for the demonstration they do in the video of hacking an election by using the switched card method. The voting machines used are missing the machine base. This base locks the machine in place and prevents someone from accessing the switches and memory cards. Look, I think the new voting machines have problems, but this movie is willed with lies.

http://www.netflix.c...p;lnkctr=MDP2RL

I have my own thoughts about this review, but I would like to here what you guys have to think first? :ranaway:

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 01:57 AM

To a certain extent I agree with the comment about how difficult it would be to carry a laptop in with all of the activity/people there. But I think that he missed the main point. The point was that it could be done. Period. The fact that they lied about the security, faked the documents (all explained in the video) was all shady and hackers called them out on it. It was not a demonstration of OMG hack the election by each individual person hacking their voting machines. It was a demonstration of OMG, look how easy it would be for the election officials, drivers, ballot counters, delivery people, or anyone else in the chain who is NOT constantly watched, or who could be bribed, to accomplish the same thing. So on that topic, he is missing the point IMHO.

But I am sure elected officials and state employees are never bribed and are completely honest all of the time..... <_<

On a possible controversial political note, I also have to point out that this is probably the same guy who thinks the election was stolen from Gore in 2000 when people did this exact same thing. People all complained and pointed out the potential areas where votes were lost/discounted/etc... so now that thorough checking of the machines is done by hackers so that it is less likely to happen again, people want to complain about it? I am not even going into which side of that whole debate you believe in, but for fucks sake is it so hard to BE CONSISTENT?!?!?! you cannot complain about how easy it is to change votes and then bitch about how hard it is to change votes! FUCK!!! Pick an opinion and STICK WITH IT! Don't flip-flop when it is convenient for you! I mean, I honestly wonder if people are retarded sometimes. WTF is wrong with these idiots?

:blowfuse:

#3 ragweed

ragweed

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

Wear some baggy clothes and this wouldnt be to hard to get in. http://www.palm.com/...tiveID=rd_foleo

#4 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:58 PM

The problem isn't really about people hacking the voting machines when they go to vote, its about someone with a little more authority hacking the voting machines, yes, I know that there are people there from both parties, but those are the people that would be in the best position to "hack" the vote <_<

#5 Sidepocket

Sidepocket

mad 1337

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:01 PM

To a certain extent I agree with the comment about how difficult it would be to carry a laptop in with all of the activity/people there. But I think that he missed the main point. The point was that it could be done. Period. The fact that they lied about the security, faked the documents (all explained in the video) was all shady and hackers called them out on it. It was not a demonstration of OMG hack the election by each individual person hacking their voting machines. It was a demonstration of OMG, look how easy it would be for the election officials, drivers, ballot counters, delivery people, or anyone else in the chain who is NOT constantly watched, or who could be bribed, to accomplish the same thing. So on that topic, he is missing the point IMHO.

But I am sure elected officials and state employees are never bribed and are completely honest all of the time..... <_<

On a possible controversial political note, I also have to point out that this is probably the same guy who thinks the election was stolen from Gore in 2000 when people did this exact same thing. People all complained and pointed out the potential areas where votes were lost/discounted/etc... so now that thorough checking of the machines is done by hackers so that it is less likely to happen again, people want to complain about it? I am not even going into which side of that whole debate you believe in, but for fucks sake is it so hard to BE CONSISTENT?!?!?! you cannot complain about how easy it is to change votes and then bitch about how hard it is to change votes! FUCK!!! Pick an opinion and STICK WITH IT! Don't flip-flop when it is convenient for you! I mean, I honestly wonder if people are retarded sometimes. WTF is wrong with these idiots?

:blowfuse:

Well you summed up everything I was going to say. Remind me to buy you a beer or something IRL. :pirate:

#6 stderr

stderr

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

I did enjoy how all of the networking with the local e-voting machines was done through wireless. All of the equipment was in the same freaking room! Wired, more secure means, could have easily been setup. People are just too lazy, and in the end don't care anyways. It's not about security, it's about convenience.

Edited by stderr, 26 June 2007 - 06:48 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!