• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Alk3

Alk3

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

A few of us from Chicago want to start a meeting. We have possible locations, but we need some input on when (day and time).

Locations:
103rd and Cicero Starbucks Map
and/or
106th and Cicero Panera Map

WiFi is available at both spots. We want it to be in the day time on a saturday afternoon.

What do people think?

#2 kn0x

kn0x

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

yeah I agree with Alk, I think these locations are really good for a number of reasons. first its on the south side (2600 is on the north side) so southsiders will have it fair. It's a couple blocks away from a train station, there are a bunch of bus routes through here, and its right near 294.

Also, I think it'd be interesting to have a Saturday afternoon time- say second or third sat. of the month so geek time won't take up another Friday night.

The Panera is bigger and it has truly free wifi as opposed to starbucks t-mobile hotspot- so I think Panera's a better pick. There's a nice patio for outside seating as well.

-kn0x

#3 Alk3

Alk3

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 02:09 AM

bump

#4 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

bump

Double bump. I'm glad you guys took the initiative. Chicago meetings have been brought up on several occasions before, but I just haven't had time to commit. Let me know where they're at, and I'll try to make it out.

#5 miche'le

miche'le

elite

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 10:24 PM

Count me in.

Damn wireless keyboard.

#6 thej3w

thej3w

T0tal n00b

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:29 AM

I think we decided to have the spring\summer meetings in the city. In Millennium Park, I'll get the exact details of a spot in a week or so. Maybe we can all meet by the bean for the first meeting and then all agree on a better spot. Anyways I went ahead and created a Yahoo Groups mailing list for the meetings, sign up here http://tech.groups.y...inrev_meetings/ .

I know some people wanted it on the south side, but the places mentioned weren't even in Chicago from my understanding, If they were, then it was the very edge of Chicago.

I think Millennium Park is a good place because of the amount of space, wifi, and the distance isn't terrible for everyone. Anyways, hope to see everyone there, and we can discuss a better place at the 1st meet, but for the spring\summer I think this is an awesome spot.

I'll be adding more to the mailing list later today.

#7 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

I think we decided to have the spring\summer meetings in the city. In Millennium Park, I'll get the exact details of a spot in a week or so. Maybe we can all meet by the bean for the first meeting and then all agree on a better spot. Anyways I went ahead and created a Yahoo Groups mailing list for the meetings, sign up here http://tech.groups.y...inrev_meetings/ .

I know some people wanted it on the south side, but the places mentioned weren't even in Chicago from my understanding, If they were, then it was the very edge of Chicago.

I think Millennium Park is a good place because of the amount of space, wifi, and the distance isn't terrible for everyone. Anyways, hope to see everyone there, and we can discuss a better place at the 1st meet, but for the spring\summer I think this is an awesome spot.

I'll be adding more to the mailing list later today.

once you guys have one or two meetings we can create a subdomain for you at binrevmeetings.com to help you orgainize

#8 kn0x

kn0x

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

cool, yeah I just don't like yahoo...at all... for anything.

Edited by kn0x, 16 July 2007 - 04:55 PM.

#9 thej3w

thej3w

T0tal n00b

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

I don't like Yahoo all that much my self but figured it would be the easiest at the moment to get us all talking together.

As for the subdomain, do we get control over the software on there as well? I noticed you give us stuff like Wordpress, are we free to add plugins and other stuff?

Edited by thej3w, 16 July 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#10 kn0x

kn0x

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:10 AM

w00t first Chicago BinRev meeting today! Lets see, we had a total of 8 people show. We got a lot of attention from people in the park, which was interesting. I'll post some pics later.

#11 thej3w

thej3w

T0tal n00b

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:10 AM

I'll be getting the pictures from Leigh soon. The meeting wasn't to bad for a first meet. I've seen worst anyways. I think if we can let members at the 2600 meeting know, we can get a bigger turn out.

I got some sun while I was out there, so bits of me are redder than usual. Which isn't a bad thing, just different.

Edited by thej3w, 22 July 2007 - 04:11 AM.

#12 serious putty

serious putty

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

has the next meeting date been decided yet?

#13 kn0x

kn0x

H4x0r

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

Third Saturday of the Month. I think 2pm is a better time, 1pm was too early. We still need to decide on a better place to meet in Melenium Park. The bean is pretty crowded.

#14 miche'le

miche'le

elite

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

We still need to decide on a better place to meet in Melenium Park. The bean is pretty crowded.

I was thinking maybe that concert green.

#15 Alk3

Alk3

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:33 PM

kn0x and I are starting a new project that is available to Chicago Binrev members. Here is the email sent to our local 2600 list:

Me and kn0x are collecting memberships to our shell server project.

We are asking for $5 per month (3 months for $17 (an extra $2 for Paypal) to (somewhat)cover our initial costs.

We are planning to offer a Secure Jabber Server with PGP-PKI encryption(membership not required) for secure private IM communications for the hacker community.

Shell accounts on our Debian server will include access to our HTTP proxy (via SSH tunneling) irssi, naim, etc. (so you can use your favorite irc/IM networks, email clients, web space, BBS, and more). User directories will be encrypted, and will only be offered to people we can trust who come to the meeting.

We reserve the right to deny you service for any reason including, but not limited to: lack of skill, body odor, being ugly, etc. Obviously there will be no P2P, warez, pr0n, cracking, etc.

PayPal payments are being accepted right now at: chishells@gmail.com.

P.S. We are also struggling to come up with a name. Email me or kn0x about a name you think is good. If we use your name, we will give you $5 off (one month free) your shell purchase.

#16 Dare To Imagine

Dare To Imagine

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:13 AM

I really need to stop being lazy and get to one of these meetings.

#17 BrakeDanceJ

BrakeDanceJ

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 598 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:13 AM

I really need to stop being lazy and get to one of these meetings.

Fuck that.

Next meeting, my house.

#18 Dare To Imagine

Dare To Imagine

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:09 AM

Fuck that.

Next meeting, my house.

If you live on the south-side, and not in the "hood", you can count me in.

Going into the city sucks.

#19 Dare To Imagine

Dare To Imagine

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:13 AM

A few of us from Chicago want to start a meeting. We have possible locations, but we need some input on when (day and time).

Locations:
103rd and Cicero Starbucks Map
and/or
106th and Cicero Panera Map

WiFi is available at both spots. We want it to be in the day time on a saturday afternoon.

What do people think?

I'm really thinking that since those locations are painfully close to my house, I'm down.

#20 thej3w

thej3w

T0tal n00b

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Those locations aren't good for a number of reasons,

They are on the small side, we had 8 people show up last meet, anymore show up this time and we are taking up way to much room. Everyone would have to buy something or at least some people would, inorder for us to stay there.

It wouldn't really be a "Chicago" BinRev meeting if its outside the city of Chicago.

The WIFI at the places are pay per use, 30 for a month, 10 for a day. Yes, PTunnel worked before, but not everyone would be using it, and it's stealing.

As for BreakDanceJs house, even if we held it there I still don't think he would make it to the meeting.

Miche'le has the right idea, the grass area by the concert in MP would be good. We could do some outdoor WarWalking\Scanning next time. If I can find my pigtail I can bring my cantenna and we can scan for WIFI and point it at tall buildings to see what we find.

I think our problem with the last meeting was that we had one just to have one, we didn't really do much other than "hang out" but I bet if we come up with a schedule and some "hacking" activities that the next meeting would be really well. Also since it will be after Defcon, many of us will have stories of Defcon and other cool stuff. So it should be a lot more intresting.

Edited by thej3w, 27 July 2007 - 11:42 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!