8 replies to this topic

#1 Cr45 Du57

Cr45 Du57

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:41 PM

I know I listen to internet radio! But sadly the future of it is in danger! :(

Due to increased royalty fees associated with copyrights, a lot of stations will go offline.

Act Now! goto http://savenetradio.org to help!

#2 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

There was already a post on this in the off topic, but I think its extremely important for people to understand what is really going on here so more publicity is better!

#3 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:16 AM

When they talk about internet radio are they talking about all the shoutcast stations and icecast stations or are they commercial stations they are talking about? I was under the impression that most of those shoutcast/icecast stations aren't paying royalties anyways.

#4 operat0r

operat0r

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:14 AM

ya slacker.com pandora.com FTW ....

im with liv I think that if they are paying royalties then changes are they are making money off it anyway * or at least trying too *

#5 Cr45 Du57

Cr45 Du57

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 619 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:30 AM

I dont really care if the station is making money or not, all I care about is the programming, And if because of increased royalty rates I will no longer be able to listen to said programming, I want to try and atleast do somthing to help.

#6 BigBrother

BigBrother

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

I personally listen to ShoutcastRantRadio/RantTV and XTCradio. I will do what I can with my state rep.

Edited by BigBrother, 27 April 2007 - 12:25 PM.

#7 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

When they talk about internet radio are they talking about all the shoutcast stations and icecast stations or are they commercial stations they are talking about? I was under the impression that most of those shoutcast/icecast stations aren't paying royalties anyways.

Yes, if you broadcast online, you 'technically' need to pay royalties for the music you broadcast.

#8 sparks4u

sparks4u

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

Being in the UK, I cannot count my opion on the save net radio site,
however, I enjoy listening to streaming radio although my ISP seems
to restrict this somewhat, but I would not like to see this important
media streaming dissapear just because some fat cats probably want
more money!

#9 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

The future of Internet radio is in immediate danger. Royalty rates for webcasters have been drastically increased by a recent ruling and are due to go into effect on July 15 (retroactive to Jan 1, 2006!). If the increased rates remain unchanged, the majority of webcasters will go bankrupt and silent on this date. Internet radio needs your help! The Internet Radio Equality Act has recently been introduced in both the House (H.R. 2060) and Senate (S. 1353) to save the Internet radio industry.

This is what happens when you rely on the internet for advertising :( We fail.

Anyway being across the pond doesn't mean your exempt from this. There are tons of US based stations that you may listen to that will not operate anymore. Maybe soon something like this will go to the UK? You may never know! This is the kind of injustice that ANYONE can fight.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!