• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 nLoD

nLoD

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:29 PM

I'm planing on buying the Kohjinsha SA1F00B. So it's gonna be a 500mhz processor prolly with 1gig of ram. I'm thinking about running Fedora Core on it. I know I'm gonna need to run a small Windows Manager. XFCE being my Windows Manager of choice. I was just wonder what everyones opinion on this was. I know a 500mhz processor is kinda small for the pricetag. But I need a small and portable machine with a keyboard and such. I think 500mhz would be perfect for wardriving/websurfing/email etc. So. What should I put on it. And I would also like some opinions on the machine aswell.

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:42 PM

XFCE will run pretty well on a 500 MHz Pentium III class processor -- I'm not sure if the Geodes translate as PIII equivalent or not (I know the VIA C3 processors are quite a bit slower).

#3 arewhyainn

arewhyainn

Cryin' Ryan

• Banned
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

for the price of that laptop I would have to say not a good move. 500mhz for that price, BUT it's you money

and is it just me or dose that laptop look kind of like one of those laptops for those third world kids?

#4 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:56 PM

Don't use Fedora Core.
You need a minimalists distro.

Use FluxBox.

#5 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 09:58 PM

Debian or Slackware would be a good choice as far as distro. My grandmother is currently running Slackware 11 with XFCE on a 550 MHz PIII with 128 MB RAM. It's not a fireball, but it's fine for Internet/e-mail/general stuff.

#6 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:00 PM

I'm pretty sure the Geode is slower as well. I seem to remember messing with a Geode-powered internet applicance that absolutely crawled.

I would go even more minimal. You don't need to save on RAM really (1 gig is plenty), but you do need to save on cycles at every opportunity. IceWM is a good choice, as is fluxbox. WM doesn't really matter when it comes right down to it, what matters is your programs. Don't use thunderbird when sylpheed will do. Don't use Firefox to view some HTML docs, use something more lightweight. In fact, Opera is much easier on the cycles, go with that ;) Don't even run X unless you need to, GUIs chew up cycles.

I wouldn't go with Fedora either. It's really bloated, you don't have the luxury of bloat. Debian or Slackware would be a better choice.

#7 nLoD

nLoD

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

Well it's mostly gonna be used for SSH and such. I don't need much power. The price is alittle high for 500mhz but it has a touch-screen will bluetooth to my phone for EDGE websurfing etc. Price isn't a big deal. I want a UMPC and this seems to be the cheapest and most full featured. I like the idea of the touchscreen and what not. I'm pondering if the machine will really need 1gig of ram. I'm not sure if it's aftermarket upgradeable but I think I'm just gonna go with the 1gig and forget about it :) Ya I figure XFCE would be best.. I was thinking Slackware aswell. Who knows what I will do. But if anyone knows UMPC with = features let me know! price wise I would hope to keep it about the same as that.

--Edit--

Also with the Geode processor anyone know where I could find benchmarks or reviews on it?

Edited by nLoD, 23 April 2007 - 10:04 PM.

#8 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• 1,319 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

If you do not feel you know Linux well enough try xUbuntu.
http://www.xubuntu.org/

I just thought of something, throw the OLPC distro on there for kicks.

#9 nLoD

nLoD

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

If you do not feel you know Linux well enough try xUbuntu.
http://www.xubuntu.org/

I just thought of something, throw the OLPC distro on there for kicks.

I know enough about Linux. I hate ubuntu distro's honestly. I feel like I'm being held back alot of the time. Another worry I do have though is how well the hardware will be detected in Linux. It's my one little worry. It's made for XP so I would asume most of it will run linux fine. I'm just now sure. I don't know if I can be sure till I get it. Though some people on engadget mentioned running linux on it. From what I read about the processor in the last few minutes it seems to be one of the better running Geode processors.

#10 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:36 PM

I have some NX-1 Geode processor based boards. They're 300 MHz processors that don't even require a heatsink. Linux with a 2.6.16 kernel reports around 600 BogoMIPS. I think AMD has largely improved the Geode cores though (the NS-1 was made by National Semiconductor, and was recognized as a Cyrix Media-GX -- Cyrix was notably not great in the processor department).

#11 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 12:26 AM

Stop discouraging him from fedora, it will run fine on that box. It is however going to be a pain to build patched drivers for injection, assuming you want to, on that box. But before I got my thinkpad I had an old dell latitude 500 mhz pentium 3 with 256 megs of ram and it was good enough to do all my wireless hacking for over a year. xfce will run fine on it and fedora will run fine assuming you spend the time to set it up correctly and not just have everything enabled.

#12 doomtroll

doomtroll

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:49 AM

you may want to take a look @ Vector & Zenwalk Linux...both Slackware based ..Zenwalk comes with XFCE....& Vector STD comes with XFCE, Fluxbox, & IceWM...I run Zenwalk on a 266mhz PII laptop with almost no issues....Vector is just as good

Edited by doomtroll, 24 April 2007 - 07:49 AM.

#13 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

vector linux is stupid, it's basically just slackware with slapt-get installed. If you want slackware run slackware.

#14 nLoD

nLoD

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm prolly still gonna be shopping around for a few weeks before I take the plung. If anyone can think of anything else that would do awesome as a lower power low heat good notebook UMPC Sub-Notebook. for Wireless hacking etc. Let me know I think in the end I might beable to do alot better then this little machine. But who knows.

#15 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

How much are you willing to spend on a notebook. You can pick up some really nice used thinkpads for fairly inexpensive. I got my T40 off ebay refurb over a year ago and have never been happier. If you can afford a few hundred check out like the T40 or T30. You'll find some good packages on ebay and thinkpads are amazing notebooks.

#16 nLoD

nLoD

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

Ya that's what Affinity keeps telling me. He is a RL friend of mine. I'm lookin to spend around $1,400 The thing is I need something that crazy portable amazing battery life and something that's not gonna replace my desktop. I have a habit of using w/e is easyer. And I ended up doing that with my last notebook and used the hell out of that thing. I like the idea of the thinkpad. But I have never really been a huge fan of the thinkpads. I know alot of people are. I want bluetooth for internet over my phone etc. So I'm not totally sure. Still kinda confused as to what I need/want/get.

#17 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

For 1400 you can pick up a brand new T60 from lenovo. Trust me, I use my thinkpad every day and take it out hacking all the time, these things will last you years as long as you take care of them. They are strong, durable, and amazing machines.

#18 nLoD

nLoD

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

I'm gonna get check it out now. Thanks a bunch livended

#19 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

Stay away from the internal atheros wifi card if it's pre-n if you are planning to run linux on it. Tioscti has that one and says that it doesn't work with madwifi-ng. I know they've added some support into the subversion build but I don't know how stable it is or if it even really works. Go for the intel card and pick up a pcmcia atheros card for all your injection needs.

#20 nLoD

nLoD

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:36 AM

I have spent about 3 1/2 hours shoping. I think I will make this easy and maybe everyone here can help me out. Here is what I'm looking for

500mhz - 1.2ghz. Duel Core is ok. But as I said earlyer. I want something that's not gonna replace a desktop. I want something small and portable.

I'm gonna say on ram about 1gig. That would be just perfect.

Storage isn't all that important.

Under 15 inch screen. I think that's it. I would like to stay away from buying anything on ebay.

Also nothing bulky or to heavy as I will carry this with me at all times.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!