• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

It seems that most of the people previously interested in these meetings are not active anymore. I think we have to extend the voting period to the end of the weekend. I hope that there are more hackers in Maryland and that they will see this thread over the weekend. Do you have any suggestions on how we can advertise these meetings to more people? I will try to get this into the topic message in #binrev.

#42 mubix

mubix

HACK THE PLANET!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

The below information is still valid. I can give access to those who need it

binrev.dc@gmail.com
202-658-7730
and of course if you have Google Talk you can IM questions

#43 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

I don't understand how it is possible to have so many people on these forums and have so few interested in hacker meetings in Maryland. There were more people interested in this idea last year... I will try to spread the word some more but I do not have much influence because I am relatively new here. Mubix, I hope we can gather up one or two more people and have a meeting setup pretty soon. Having a successful meeting might get more people interested.

Mubix, did you have a specific place in mind when you suggested Union Station?

#44 cypress

cypress

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

Yea, I would go with Union Station.

#45 craygee

craygee

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Location:From that place with all the stuff, near that one thing!

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Craygee can go. I'm in Alexandria on a long term engagement with a big SUV. :) So if people need a ride lemme know. I can do talks if needed. Next week and the week after I have an engagement in Seattle and Houston. I didn't have time to read through the entire thread to find the date but, I'll go if I can.

#46 mubix

mubix

HACK THE PLANET!

• 59 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:47 AM

I don't understand how it is possible to have so many people on these forums and have so few interested in hacker meetings in Maryland. There were more people interested in this idea last year... I will try to spread the word some more but I do not have much influence because I am relatively new here. Mubix, I hope we can gather up one or two more people and have a meeting setup pretty soon. Having a successful meeting might get more people interested.

Mubix, did you have a specific place in mind when you suggested Union Station?

What we initially set up was that we would pick a time, and we would all meet at the main hall / entrance and then find a seated location afterwards.. that was mainly what the phone number was for.. logistics.

#47 KuiperBeltObject

KuiperBeltObject

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:14 PM

Wow, I thought the meeting threads were dead.

I live an hour south of DC so a Union Station meetup would work better that a MD location.

#48 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

It looks like we have agreed on Union Station. So lets pick a time and date to meet there and scout around for a nice place to hold the meeting. I would be able to go at the following times:

Sunday 04/27/08 - any time
Friday 05/02/08 - after 4:00 pm
Next weekend (05/03/08 and 05/04/08) - anytime

PS. I was beginning to think we would not get enough members. Fortunately, I was wrong. :)

#49 mubix

mubix

HACK THE PLANET!

• 59 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:23 AM

Ok so here is the latest information:

I registered binrevdc.com
I set up google apps so now the core members can have a @binrevdc.com through gmail, I can also link subdomains to your sites.
I posted a simple image to binrevdc.com
Google Apps includes - email, a calendar, docs, chat

#50 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Ok, great. So we are meeting on the 3rd of May (this Saturday). Does anyone have geek targeted material that they want to share at the meeting? If anyone is interested, I can bring in a PowerPoint(with video) on website vulnerabilities that I am working on for my Senior Project.

Edited by Lelantus, 30 April 2008 - 04:48 PM.

#51 theMaxx

theMaxx

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:17 PM

Shit! I finally get a chance to hop back on binrev and I've missed the meeting.

I won't be here over the summer, but I'll definitely check up on you guys next fall.

How'd the meet-up go?

#52 craygee

craygee

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Location:From that place with all the stuff, near that one thing!

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:33 AM

SRY all, that I was unable to attend. Lelantus I deff applogise I didn't respond in time. I actually had to go back home this weekend so I wasn't in the "DC" area anymore. I had business to take care of. :( Did it go well?

#53 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

The meeting was not perfect but I still had a good time and have absolutely no regrets; Mubix was very generous (offered to pay for my meal), intelligent, and cool. Mubix and I looked for a good location inside Union Station where we would be able to host the meetings. Surprisingly, we did not find many places with accessible power sources and "public" internet access like we had hoped. We were able to unplug a lamp inside a restaurant (in which we got a free meal... but more on that later) and hook up our laptops. We ordered food and discussed the structure and contents of future meetings. I suggested that I could present my slide show with a video or live demonstration of various website vulnerabilities at the next meeting. Mubix liked the idea and agreed to peer review my presentation before the next meeting. He then proceeded to set up his own wireless access point in order to demonstrate some hacks. However, murphy's laws kicked in and we( I mean Mubix working hard and me giving supporting comments while devouring my lunch) attempted to get the access point to work with absolutely minimal documentation. We also had some interesting discussions related to XSS, CSRF, and hacking the smarttrip cards. When it was about time to go home, we decided to do some last minute war walking and concluded that we must find a meeting place outside the food court because we were unsuccessful at finding a location with accessible power and wifi after walking around the entirety of the food court. I plan to call/visit a few places near Union Station that will meet our requirements and post my findings.

Wondering how we got a free meal? The restaurant that we chose was close to the entrance and very accessible to bugs. During our meal, I spotted a relatively large sized bug crawling on the table. When I pointed this out to Mubix he lost his appetite and notified a near by waiter who then got the manager. Surprisingly, the manager stared at the bug and then looked at us with a big smile... (I still cannot find humor in the situation) and said he would take care of the check. When the manager went away for a minute, I took the opportunity to salvage as much of my free meal as possible (possibly acquired habit from living in Russia after the collapse of the Soviet Union) before the waiter came back to take away our plates.

PS. Shoutz to Mubix for taking the time to come to the meeting despite having to travel hours; I look forward to meeting you again. I hope you guys can come to the next meeting which _will_ be even better.

Edited by Lelantus, 05 May 2008 - 09:17 PM.

#54 mubix

mubix

HACK THE PLANET!

• 59 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

Lets get one thing straight, I didn't loose my appetite, I've eaten things that are much more gross. It was just quick thinking to get a free meal. But thanks for the props.

#55 walcy.carroll

walcy.carroll

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:17 AM

If it wasn't for the 3-4 hour drive and the traffic I would try to come, but it would depend on my schedule and stuff. I will monitor the threads and see about a future one.

#56 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

There is a meeting on the 14th (this Saturday) at around 2 pm. Please contact me if you are planning on coming.

#57 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

Next meeting is at 2:00pm on Friday the 18th in the Center Cafe - inside Union Station.
The meetings will now be every 3rd Friday of the month.

During the last meeting we had trouble finding a location with both wifi and power so please bring your laptop fully charged. If you plan on coming, please contact me. However, I will be there unconditionally.

Edited by Lelantus, 12 July 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#58 mubix

mubix

HACK THE PLANET!

• 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Next meeting is at 2:00pm on Friday the 18th in the Center Cafe - inside Union Station.

During the last meeting we had trouble finding a location with both wifi and power so please bring your laptop fully charged. If you plan on coming, please contact me. However, I will be there unconditionally.

How did the meeting go, and when is the next one?

#59 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

How did the meeting go, and when is the next one?

It was just me, myself, and I :(. Like I said, the next meeting will be the third Friday of next month (Aug 15th). If no one responds to this thread, I will try to contact people that posted in the past two weeks before the meeting.

#60 Lelantus

Lelantus

H4x0r

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

This is a reminder that the next meeting is this Friday!

Union Station @ 2pm

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!