• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin Liberation Front

Penguin Liberation Front

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:07 AM

I've got a PCLine wireless keyboard - yes, its bottom of the range kit, I know, but I needed a new keyboard in a hurry late one night and it was the only one I could afford in a hurry...

Most of the time it performs ok. However, this weekend I'm having issues with it.
  • It chooses to repeat keys at random
  • It misses key presses out
  • it re-orders the keys (e.g. type "of" and it sends "fo" to the system)
  • it sends incorrect key-codes - (e.g. I type "no" and it sends "mp")
If it starts missing keys, that particular key missed won't type for several attempts.

Now, The reciever is about 12" away behind my TFT, where it always is. I've tried moving it away, and b, but get the best response at this position.

I'm assuming now that there is interference coming from somewhere but cannot workout where, as it is an intermittent thing as to it happning.

Have any of you experienced these symptons before? or could you provide any insight as to what is happening? I've tried changing the channel the keyboard sends/recieves on several times to no avail. This is becomming more than just a slight annoyance. I pride myself on being able to type large quantities very quickly - and I've got 3 assignments to do over the next few days - I can do without aving to type at 1 word a minute because I have to check for typos which shouldn't exist

Its not a battery issue, there are 3 brand new batteries in the keyboard.

Edit :
I should state that about 3 months ago, a battery did split during transit and leaked into the battery compartment. However, this has not affected the operation of the keyboard in the weeks following,

Edited by Penguin Liberation Front, 07 April 2007 - 01:09 AM.

#2 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 911 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:14 AM

Sometimes radio equipment is just crap, like the patterns used to transmit the codes aren't very distinct or the frequency that the receiver is set on vs. the keyboard is askew. It could be a number of things.

You would probably save yourself a lot of time and effort buy just buying a new wireless keyboard. Logitec makes nice products, also you may want to check our IR or Bluetooth as a replacement to RF if you are getting a lot of interference. Hope that helps.

#3 Penguin Liberation Front

Penguin Liberation Front

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

Sometimes radio equipment is just crap, like the patterns used to transmit the codes aren't very distinct or the frequency that the receiver is set on vs. the keyboard is askew. It could be a number of things.

You would probably save yourself a lot of time and effort buy just buying a new wireless keyboard. Logitec makes nice products, also you may want to check our IR or Bluetooth as a replacement to RF if you are getting a lot of interference. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your prompt response. I've been considering the possility of bluetooth, but tend to find it rather slow, (at least it is fom my phone) I'm also not convinced as to its security as yet. Mind you, it would be a god experiment to play with :-) Like finding out from how far away the key-presses could be picked up, etc...with this rf keyboard, not very far. put the keyboard more than 18" from the reciever and nothing gets through, although it does state on the box "Range : 1.8m" (lying sods)

As for IR - well, I've got IR built into my motherboard and never bothered getting any utils toi connect to it. Perhaps its time I did!

#4 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:34 AM

Well the reason I suggested IR is because you shouldn't have that much of a latency considering its light. Also for something like a keyboard which isn't in motion while its being used IR works well.

I've never used bluetooth, I assumed that it would be faster then RF but I base that idea no nothing so its probably not right.

#5 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:43 AM

the only problem with using IR is that you have to have line of sight connection for it to work, for keyboards this kinda sucks, bluetooth may be slow for tranfering data from one device to another but youre talking about keystrokes, 1 byte of data shouldnt be a problem no matter how fast you type. in addition to that you dont need line of sight to keep your connection and, bluetooth is pretty much RF. if you get a BT keyboard it will most likely be a class 2 BT device which means it should have a range of about 30 feet in good conditions. you could also try getting a usb extension cable for your current RF dongle and see if moving it around helps the signal. but if youre gonna go wireless i would check out the BT boards. i have one that i use in my livingroom and i love it. i would like to find one that has a built in touchpad though.

#6 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

the only problem with using IR is that you have to have line of sight connection for it to work

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, a lot of IR devices now are extremely powerful. A friend of mine has a keyboard that he can point in the opposite direction of the receiver and it will work just fine. Also the remote for my tv can actually be bounced around corners by aiming correctly at the walls, granted I replaced the IR led with a WAY more powerful one.

But if you have a clutter desk with a lot of papers and stuff, that might cause a problem. Unless this computer is like a media center or something, I would recommend just getting a wired keyboard.

#7 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

the only problem with using IR is that you have to have line of sight connection for it to work

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, a lot of IR devices now are extremely powerful. A friend of mine has a keyboard that he can point in the opposite direction of the receiver and it will work just fine. Also the remote for my tv can actually be bounced around corners by aiming correctly at the walls, granted I replaced the IR led with a WAY more powerful one.

But if you have a clutter desk with a lot of papers and stuff, that might cause a problem. Unless this computer is like a media center or something, I would recommend just getting a wired keyboard.

i would agree with the wired suggestion, the only reason i have my wireless keyboard is so i can sit on the couch and work the tv with it without cables getting in the way.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!