• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bsd-roo

bsd-roo

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

im a university student and i live in halls and here in like most halls do, block certain listening ports
to stop bittorrent downloads, one strange thing is, if i use bitcomet i can download at a very bad speed but alot of the times
still manage to download things that i want. but when i use another different client like bitlord, azeurus and kde's ktorrent
they all seem to get stuck without downloading anything.
i randomised the listening port but bitcomet still tell me that my ports are blocked.

any ideas anyone?

#2 gloomer

gloomer

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

Encrypt the traffic?

#3 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:50 PM

I don't understand. Bittorent needs port fowarding enabled, do you have your own public ip address or is everyone in the hall sharing an IP and your behind NAT?

#4 bsd-roo

bsd-roo

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 04:56 PM

we all get assigned a local ip behind a NAT.
i don't even know how bitcomet manages to sneak downloads?!?!?!
does it work slightly different to others?

Edited by bsd-roo, 04 April 2007 - 04:57 PM.

#5 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

Well bittorent can work without port fowarding... but not very well. Do you have control of a computer outside somewhere else?

Like if you had a computer somewhere else you could just have it do the downloading and then transfer the files back to yourself.

#6 Penguin Liberation Front

Penguin Liberation Front

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:38 PM

I can't tell you how bitcornet works in order to sneak downloads, but I can explain to you how to get through the Halls network and use bittorrent

The problem is, just as with Uni, halls tend to use a caching proxy server (my guess is SQUID) - in order to get through that, the easiest way is to use a HTTP tunnel, but in order to use a tunnel, you need to "own" a box outside the network itself.

If you do "own" a box, connect to it, and install "hts-server", then on your local machine, install hts-client, which is a form of SOCKS proxy and will generally listen on port 1080 (or whatever you configure it to) - you can find out more about this here - http://www.nocrew.or...httptunnel.html - all you need to do then is configure your client to direct all traffic to port 1080

Basically what this does is re-write your bittorrent traffic and direct it through the HTTP protocol and send it to the server, which forwards it to the correct ports required for bittorrent. (Ok, its a bit more comlex than that, but thats the basic idea).

#7 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Try setting the incoming port to 80 or something that's going to be unblocked. Then make the tracker communications go through tor and encrypt the bittorent traffic. That works at my school.

#8 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

Try setting the incoming port to 80 or something that's going to be unblocked. Then make the tracker communications go through tor and encrypt the bittorent traffic. That works at my school.

Doesn't bittorent require that the port be forwarded directly to the machine its running on though?

What I do is have a dedicated bittorent box that I can access with a web interface (including adding torrents). If you could setup a physical (or virtual) machine somewhere, you could just control it remotely. If you need help with that I can point you in the right direction, if its a possibility at all that is.

#9 BigBrother

BigBrother

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:22 PM

Doesn't bittorent require that the port be forwarded directly to the machine its running on though?

What I do is have a dedicated bittorent box that I can access with a web interface (including adding torrents). If you could setup a physical (or virtual) machine somewhere, you could just control it remotely. If you need help with that I can point you in the right direction, if its a possibility at all that is.

I forward through port 80 with peer guardian.

#10 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure. But it works for me. I get speeds ~400 kb/s. I am happy.

#11 bsd-roo

bsd-roo

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

looks like im going to either have to hack the hall's server or hack someone's wireless connection to have an internet connection that doesnt block
bittorrent downloads...
anyone fancy download files for me and whacking them onto a http or ftp server for me?? :lol:

#12 xGERMx

xGERMx

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:23 AM

Tunneling BitTorrent over SSH

3rd result on Google.

Edited by xGERMx, 06 April 2007 - 12:24 AM.

#13 bsd-roo

bsd-roo

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:06 AM

thanks xGERMx

very useful

#14 xGERMx

xGERMx

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

You may not get the fastest speeds but, it's a tried and true method that will almost always work.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!