- - - - -

way to hack fire alarms?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GUEST_plank_***

GUEST_plank_***
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:22 PM

ok yeah so i was in school today and i noticed cat5 coming from the firealarm! so i was wondering if its possible to telnet or something into it? any input :blink:

#2 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 729 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:53 PM

i have no idea... although it would be awesome for the pool on the roof to have a leak

#3 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:11 PM

i guess if it really is cat5 then there IS a way to hack into them, or more realistically into the system that monitors them and send a "test' command or something.

#4 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:51 PM

lets remind the audience of one very important fact: CAT5 != TCP/IP network, or any packet-switched one for that matter.

all CAT5 is is 4 pairs of copper wire, making 8 wires. this could be an inifinate amount of things. more than likely its just a proprietary control mechianism for the entire building.

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:57 PM

yeah, you're right, but there is a possibility they are tcp/ip enabled and are controlled by a server or something.

#6 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:15 PM

i have no idea... although it would be awesome for the pool on the roof to have a leak

Oh god... lol! Excellent quote placement!

"This isnt woodshop class?"

#7 bland_inquisitor

bland_inquisitor

mod -o- the day

• 729 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:21 PM

<elvis>

thank you... thank you very much

</elvis>

<andy kauffman>

dank you veddy much

</andy kauffman>

#8 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:37 PM

It might not be too stealthy, I always wanted to disassemble my schools fire alarm and put in a mechanism for controlling it with a remote control.

#9 lowtec

lowtec

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 09:11 PM

I wouldnt mess with taking apart the fire alarms or anything. Some have ink that squirts out on you, and it's almost certainly a federal offense.. not to mention a really bad idea. But it would be sweet if you could connect to the server for them somehow.

#10 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 09:19 PM

While it would still be illegal, setting up a scheduled test where the fire department does NOT come is probably what you would aim for.

Ok, please somebody remember this: Ok I remember the OLD show Ghostwriter, and I know I loved it. Anyway, I remember there was a series of episodes about somebody (called something-Mouse) was 'hacking' the schools computers and set off the fire alarm or something, and the fire department coming to the school meant they didnt go to a house or something where there really was a fire.

If nobody remembers that episode, somebody tell me they remember that show!

#11 riscphree

riscphree

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 09:31 PM

I do I do!!! i remember that show, but not that certain episode, god that was a LONG time ago!!!

#12 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 10:41 PM

I wouldnt mess with taking apart the fire alarms or anything. Some have ink that squirts out on you, and it's almost certainly a federal offense.. not to mention a really bad idea. But it would be sweet if you could connect to the server for them somehow.

I wouldn't mess with the alarm handles themselves, I wanted to mess with the wall-mounted big ear-splitting speakers.

#13 Subzero1037

Subzero1037

D1g1taL Ma5t3rM1nd

• 1,050 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 11:54 PM

go in at night and check it out... see if you can actucally physically trace back the wires to a certain location?

#14 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:36 AM

All firesystems have a control board; usualy its in the main office or in a place people can not get to it easly.. from there you have full control of the fire alarms and can control what you want how you want, it is however against the law to do this, a false alarm is a fedral offence.. this is info gleened directly from the fire chief of the seattle area, who happens to be a ex's father, so if he says its against the law, Its a safe bet he knows what hes talking about.

#15 WhiteSword

WhiteSword

This time it's permanent!

• Banned
  • 351 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:03 AM

o just pull it :pissed:

#16 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:50 AM

I remember that show, I remember when they tried to make it again, The New Ghost Writer Mysteries <_<

#17 Subzero1037

Subzero1037

D1g1taL Ma5t3rM1nd

• 1,050 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 10:10 AM

hehe yeah the whole against the law thing could get in the way....it'd still be interesting to see what all you could do ;)

#18 Crimson_Binome

Crimson_Binome

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 10:56 AM

hehehe...my middle school (Durant Road Mi...) was brand spankin new when we started there. It didn't take long for some smart little binomes to quickly figure out that you could send out different alarms over the school P.A. system by inputting different numeric codes over the phone system that accessed it :P

#19 phrox

phrox

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 07:50 PM

ahh... I remember the days of the school PA...

:(

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!