• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 TheCheckt

TheCheckt

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:57 PM

It's not work if you use a puddy knife and a torch to heat it up. just watch out for the fumes...

But the fumes are the best part....

Joking aside, where do you buy large blocks of foam anyway? Home depot or something? The only time I've ever modeled foam was this one time where I just happened to have a large 3 by 5 foot block of foam left over from a shipping container.

Well what kind of foam are we talking about here? I guess we will have to go with styrofoam, because all the other kinds seem too expensive. I'm not really sure on where to buy this stuff in bulk, but this ebay link should do.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...VQQcmdZViewItem

For a case try to find the biggest carrying case you can. One with a lot of depth. It should be able to hold all the pci cards. I don't know where to find those though. I know my friend had a really big one that was super deep for carrying d&d miniatures.

#22 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

....not really sure on where to buy this stuff in bulk, but this ebay link should do.

// Lame Joke Disclaimer

If you buy Styrofoam what do they ship it in?

#23 TheCheckt

TheCheckt

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

....not really sure on where to buy this stuff in bulk, but this ebay link should do.

// Lame Joke Disclaimer

If you buy Styrofoam what do they ship it in?

:lol:

Yeah seriously though you should try this project out. I want to see pictures of the finalized thing. I mean if it turns out to be a relativley cheap and easy project I might just do the same thing to store some of my pci cards.

#24 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

Yeah seriously though you should try this project out. I want to see pictures of the finalized thing. I mean if it turns out to be a relativley cheap and easy project I might just do the same thing to store some of my pci cards.

Well gee, I don't normally get involved in a lot of projects...

*Puts on to-do list

#25 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

You guys are crazy. Boxes. Cardboard ones.

#26 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

You guys are crazy. Boxes. Cardboard ones.

Well thats the idea I'm going to go with but if I can find a place that will sell me large random amounts of styrofoam I'm going to spend some time melting it because its fun.

I'm going to make a 1 foot tall Ohm figure out of styrofoam.

#27 carwash

carwash

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

I always grab a bunch of those UPS 2nd day air shipping envelopes.

They are great for all kinds of parts storage and artwork like stencils.

The best part is that they are free and pretty well made too.... so thank you UPS :)

#28 revebo

revebo

mad 1337

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

Rubber band the cards into piles, the rubber band the anti static bags and tape the bags shut

#29 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:11 PM

Rubber band the cards into piles, the rubber band the anti static bags and tape the bags shut

Ok, thats what I have now. The question was something like "does anybody know of a storage rack for pci cards", and then it pretty much went down hill from there.

#30 carwash

carwash

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

As far as storage goes I built a real nice custom oak desk with lots of big drawers to hold all the odds and ends that I don't end up using every day.

This gets most of the units out of sight and helps me hide my addictive obsessive/compulsive hardware situation.

Party on!

#31 hrddrv

hrddrv

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

Well I will tell you how obsessive I am getting. I have not finished this yet but hopefully will soon. I am putting all my parts (cards, drives, etc..) in the antistatic bags that are labeled with what is inside of them. If there is a disk for drivers or software I place it in a cd case (hard plastic not the flimsy ones) and then place both in a manilla envelope, again this is labled with what is inside. I then place the envelopes in a copy paper box (I get these for free from work, teachers make lots of copies a day.) I then type up what is and place on the outside of the box what is in the box. This way when I am looking for something in particular all I have to do is go through that one box. Now if I can just get the time to finish this up. I only have 2 boxes done and probably have 4 to 5 more boxes to go. Oh and the plastic sleeves that have a sticky side to attach to something is great to put on the outside of the box, so you can change sheet that has your inventory on it. The reason I use this is because the inventory in that box can change quickly and all I have to do is make a few changes to the document that I typed and saved earlier and print the new one out.

Hopefully this helps and is not to OCD for you.

#32 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

As far as storage goes I built a real nice custom oak desk with lots of big drawers to hold all the odds and ends that I don't end up using every day.

Thats impressive, I'm terrible at wood working. Like in my garage just now I needed a little shelf so I just nailed a piece of wood between to beams (on a wall that has no drywall or anything) and it gets the job done but it looks like crap.

#33 Penguin Liberation Front

Penguin Liberation Front

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

As far as storage goes, most of my old cards get thrown in a draw, until the draw gets full. Then they "misteriously" wend their way to my dads garage.

The problem with hardware, is, you buy new, then the next week an updated model is out which "you just have to have" so last weeks purchase has to be replaced.

I keep thinking that one day I'll build a sculpture out of all my old parts, but that, like a lot of things, just never seems to occur.

#34 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

I keep thinking that one day I'll build a sculpture out of all my old parts

I am working on turning a broken hard drive into a wind chime, recycling... kind of.

#35 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:38 PM

It's not work if you use a puddy knife and a torch to heat it up. just watch out for the fumes...

But the fumes are the best part....

Joking aside, where do you buy large blocks of foam anyway? Home depot or something? The only time I've ever modeled foam was this one time where I just happened to have a large 3 by 5 foot block of foam left over from a shipping container.

Home Depot or Lowes will have these 'aluminum' looking tool boxes/ cases that have this foam with it already..

#36 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

Ok, I found a good solution. You can get one of these little storage karts at walmart for like 10 dollars. The PCI cards fit in them well and you can see all the cards at once to quickly find the one you need. Also it has little wheels, which you can remove, but I like to keep the wheels on so when I'm working on computers in different areas I can just wheel the entire kart over and start swaping parts untill I get the configuration I need.

Attached Files

Edited by Drake Anubis, 07 April 2007 - 04:42 PM.

#37 SiDaFaLiCKNo

SiDaFaLiCKNo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:58 PM

Ok, I found a good solution. You can get one of these little storage karts at walmart for like 10 dollars. The PCI cards fit in them well and you can see all the cards at once to quickly find the one you need. Also it has little wheels, which you can remove, but I like to keep the wheels on so when I'm working on computers in different areas I can just wheel the entire kart over and start swaping parts untill I get the configuration I need.

The second rack from the bottom looks good...

Mine go in cardboard boxes.

#38 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

The second rack from the bottom looks good...
Mine go in cardboard boxes.

Yeah, the only cards that really fit perfectly are the linksys wifis and some old Raid controllers. Everything else kindof falls to one side, but I think it works pretty well for 10 dollars.

#39 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:25 PM

what you hould do is get an enclosed case and line it with egg-carton mattress foam, thats what i do with my valuble extra pc parts, the rack that you show there is a good idea i guess if you have tons of extra pci cards, but the only drawback would be dust buildup on the cards, especially if its a video card with a heatsink and or fan.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!