• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hey, I was wondering if anybody had a good way to store PCI (not just PCI, but that form factor) cards. Because I have about 30 or so PCI/AGP/ETC cards that aren't being used at any one time. Mostly old graphics cards, raid controllers, networking cards..etc and I tried keeping them in a box but that becomes difficult to dig though, and I tried putting them on a book shelf but they just fall over.

I can't be the only person with an abundance of cards, how do you guys store them?... What I need is a like a cd-tower, but for cards... Thanks.

#2 Linux

Linux

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Banned
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:58 AM

I have a bunch of anti-static bags I got off ebay for about $10. I store all my unused PCI cards in them and put them inside a shoebox.

#3 Flash

Flash

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

I use a put them in a static bag and then on a cd rack.

#4 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:26 PM

I tried the cd-rack idea but they don't fit well, or at all really. I think I should just get X number of small boxes, you know like 4 inchs wide, half an inch tall and Y inches deep. Just order a whole bunch of those, then are least I can stack them all somewhere in some kind of uniform fashion with labels on the outside.

But if anybody else has an ideas I'd love to hear them.

#5 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

I just stick them in a box. It's not really an issue, but I suppose if you have some expensive cards you won't want them dying. I've been storing cards stacked together in boxes for a long time and nothing bad has happened. They're not really _that_ sensitive. But remember, most of what I have is junk ;)

#6 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

They're not really _that_ sensitive. But remember, most of what I have is junk ;)

*Looks at cards... pulls out IBM token ring network adapter....

Well... they aren't important, but I like to keep things organized to some degree, I'll just go with boxes.

You know if I had another IBM token ring network card I would so use them.

#7 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

Token ring adapter? Why bother keeping it? Assuming you can find some more working token ring equipment and software that you can actually get working.. besides novelty or just playing around, what's the point? Things like that I just toss.

#8 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

Token ring adapter? Why bother keeping it? Assuming you can find some more working token ring equipment and software that you can actually get working.. besides novelty or just playing around, what's the point? Things like that I just toss.

Well like everything else as soon as I get rid of it I'm suddenly going to need it. What if I get invited to a LAN party and everyone is using token ring except me, I'll feel stupid.

#9 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

If you get to a LAN party and everyone's using token ring, it's time to leave anyway.

#10 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:51 PM

If you get to a LAN party and everyone's using token ring, it's time to leave anyway.

lol, I'm going to start a token ring lan party, it will be great. Infact I should do it over the internet, everyone just needs to have an adapter to tunnel their token ring across a vpn.

#11 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

That's.. completely useless. What's the use of token ring if you're all going to be on 1-node rings connected by another medium? It's also not a LAN party either.

Edit: excuse me, 2-node rings. The bridge or router will need to be in the ring as well.

Edited by Ohm, 25 March 2007 - 03:53 PM.

#12 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

That's.. completely useless. What's the use of token ring if you're all going to be on 1-node rings connected by another medium? It's also not a LAN party either.

Edit: excuse me, 2-node rings. The bridge or router will need to be in the ring as well.

... you know, I don't go around crushing your hopes and dreams :unsure:

#13 TheCheckt

TheCheckt

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

I just had a great idea. Get a cheapish plastic suitcase that has a lot of depth. Get a large chunk of foam that you can later cut so it fits nicely in the suitcase. Then cut a whole bunch of little slots that are deep enough for the card, but not too deep so you can't pull them out easily.

Here's a high quality rendered image.

Posted Image

Something along those lines. Not only would it be pretty cool, but it's easy to store and portable :D

#14 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:28 PM

Yeah but cutting foam seems like ... work. I'll just though them in boxes.

#15 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

http://worsethanfail...7_s_Gloves.aspx

s/gloves/boxes/

#16 thej3w

thej3w

T0tal n00b

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Get a suitcase as described above, take old motherboards that no longer work. Cut them up so you can fit as many PCI\AGP slots from the motherboards that you can, and then stick the cards into the slots.

Also I'm not really sure if this is the best place for this topic, you usually post a lot of your questions here and while some of them seem to fall under the "General Hacking" description many of them do not. Just saying since I'm not a mod or anything I can't do anything about it.

#17 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

I just stack them with the slot flanges in alternating directions, so that they form a mostly flat stack. Then I put them in a box that's close to the width of one stack. I've never had a card die from this (I use cardboard boxes...plastic might generate static? Plus, cardboard boxes are free.)

#18 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

I've never had a card die from this (I use cardboard boxes...plastic might generate static? Plus, cardboard boxes are free.)

Well I wasn't concerned about the cards breaking, these aren't any of my high end important cards, just misc ones. I've just been trying to get things organized lately. But I do appreciate all of the suggestions.

#19 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

Yeah but cutting foam seems like ... work. I'll just though them in boxes.

It's not work if you use a puddy knife and a torch to heat it up. just watch out for the fumes...

#20 Drake Anubis

Drake Anubis

Never Forget

• 911 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

It's not work if you use a puddy knife and a torch to heat it up. just watch out for the fumes...

But the fumes are the best part....

Joking aside, where do you buy large blocks of foam anyway? Home depot or something? The only time I've ever modeled foam was this one time where I just happened to have a large 3 by 5 foot block of foam left over from a shipping container.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!