• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 07:02 PM

Just to warn you guys in Cox territory, beware of roomates and bills. It seems that Cox Communications has a "Indebted Household" policy that allows any person living in a house to basically be found responsible for someone else's bill at the same house.

For those of you who dont know, Cox Communications is our local Cable TV/Data/Digital Phone company.

I haven't been around for a while because of this. They decided to tack on my sister's bill to my account, at which point the outstanding balance told the computer it's turn off time. Full story is a little too drawn out for a forum post, but long story short, my sister had cable tv, I dont, she moved to the Chicago area and no longer lives here, I wanted broadband so I ordered it. My sister and me dont even share the same last name (half sister if you want to get technical). So meanwhile, I'm stuck (unless things get straigtened out) with a $300 bill that I never agreed to pay to begin with.

I'm currently bitching, moaning, groaning, complaining, etc to get this problem fixed, but in the meantime....I be a dialup mofo.

I would rant, rave, urge you guys in cox country to go ahead and go elsewhere for your broadband needs.....but they do kinda have that whole local monopoly thing goin on, and unless you want to pay triple the price for 1/2 the bandwidth to go dsl, we're kinda stuck with them.

Well, after filing a formal complaint with the State Attorney General and the Corporation Commision, the seem to be more than willing to "work" with me to straighten things out. But after talking to over 6 reps, this seems to be a company policy. So be warned.

#2 holy_handgrenade

holy_handgrenade

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 07:30 PM

By the way, anyone in the phoenix area have any suggestions for alternatives to cable?

I'm trying to get more info on the Sprint Broadband, DSL is out, I'm over 40k feet away from my C.O. so I'm stuck with cable/satelite solutions.

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 10:29 PM

well, you need to know what the contract/rules of the cable company are. If they have it in writing, contractually speaking, there isn't much you can do except complain to the authorities like you are doing.

If they did not give you proper notice of the contract changes, you may be able to hide behind the contract (or lack thereof). You can call and ask a lawyer, it is standard contract law (which I studied just a little bit) and should be very easy for a lawyer to tell you the straight scoop.

I hate the legal monopolies that still exist today. All utilities are legalized government monopolies! :borg: The Telecommunications Act was supposed to take care of this!!! It only made them stronger because, like everything else that our government does, it was HALF-ASSED!!!

#4 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 01 December 2002 - 09:24 AM

I believe AT&T is offering DSL in the Phx metro area.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!