10 replies to this topic

#1 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

http://www.virginmob...ff/sugarmama.do

I just heard about this (although apparently it has been going on now for several months) and it sounds interesting. Anybody here use Virgin Mobile and tried this? I use very few voice minutes per month, and if I could get most of my minutes for free and combine that with one of their good text messaging plans (http://www.virginmob...extMessaging.do) I'd be set!

#2 PhreakerD7

PhreakerD7

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• 375 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:09 AM

I hate Virgin Mobile. I had their phone, got one pre-paid card, and dropped them after it was out. I found out I was being charged 18 cents a minute. WOW. What a great deal! Then, they were charging me 2 cents everytime I checked my account via my phone. THEN, they were charging me 5 cents to read a txt message, and then 5 cents to respond. I mean, I hope to God you're getting a different deal then that. Thats their "Pay-per-minute" plan. Pssh.

Anywho, IDK. I glanced at that. I mean, why not try it? Ya know? It doesn't seem all that bad. A bit annoying, albeit, but thats it.

#3 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:06 AM

I hate Virgin Mobile. I had their phone, got one pre-paid card, and dropped them after it was out. I found out I was being charged 18 cents a minute. WOW. What a great deal! Then, they were charging me 2 cents everytime I checked my account via my phone. THEN, they were charging me 5 cents to read a txt message, and then 5 cents to respond. I mean, I hope to God you're getting a different deal then that. Thats their "Pay-per-minute" plan. Pssh.

Anywho, IDK. I glanced at that. I mean, why not try it? Ya know? It doesn't seem all that bad. A bit annoying, albeit, but thats it.

So you bought their phone without looking at what their rates were? :blink:

I don't know what other prepaid providers you have looked at to think of those rates as 'outrageous'.
T-Mobile to go: from 0.33/min to 0.10/min depending on what card you buy, 0.10 to send txt, 0.05 to receive
Boost Mobile: 0.20/min regular, 0.10/min nights and weekends, 0.10 to send txt, free to receive
Net10: 0.10/min always, 0.05 to send txt, 0.05 to recieve
Cingular: 0.25/min or $1/day then 0.10/min, 0.05 to send txt, 0.05 to receive

Over the summer I do a lot of txt messaging, and use Tmo to go, but at 15 cents per back-and-forth it adds up if I do a lot, and I texting is Virgins strong point which I why I was looking at it (0.05 per sent/recieved, $2 for 50, $5 for 200, or $10 for 1000.

#4 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:51 AM

I have a Vigin Mobile phone I use because it's not tied to me at all. I don't use it a lot, but it's prepaid, and I keep about 20 bucks in airtime on it. You can get the cards for cash at Rat Shack. It is expensive compared to other normal phones, but I do believe my plan is a little different. IIRC it's 25 cents for the first minute, 10 cents each additional, incoming and outgoing. I don't use it much for incoming. It's always on me or in the car though. Good for giving out at 2600 or Binrev meetings and ordering things.

I'll check it out when I have more time this afternoon. I wouldn't mind if I can tor in, click a few boxes and get minutes I barely use too. Great find man, I didn't know about this at all.

#5 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:25 AM

The vkey I use to re-up isn't working on the page. I'll keep fucking with it more later, at lunch or something. I want those free minutes, heh.

#6 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

I have a virgin mobile prepaid. I top it up with $10 of airtime using the credit card top-up method when I need to. It works pretty good for what I need. $.18 a minute is not that bad either.
That sugar mama thing looks good. I tried signing up for one of the promotions but:

Sugar Mama experienced a Severe Error no database available for read at 172.18.172.171 or 172.18.172.171 for sugarweb on sugarmama.virginmobileusa.com
database=sugarmama
user=sugarweb

#7 kitche

kitche

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

um it's 25 cents for the first 10 mi tes so for the first 10 minutes you get charged 25 cents for each minute then it goes to 10 cents

#8 dalejrrocks

dalejrrocks

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

um it's 25 cents for the first 10 mi tes so for the first 10 minutes you get charged 25 cents for each minute then it goes to 10 cents

They have two different plans.

#9 kitche

kitche

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

that is the defualt plan not the text messenging plan that is their only plan if you don't go that way I pay 20 dollars for 3 months of service and htat is it

#10 GIJoe

GIJoe

0v3n /\/\1tt

• 2,020 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

that is the defualt plan not the text messenging plan that is their only plan if you don't go that way I pay 20 dollars for 3 months of service and htat is it

Huh? I couldn't understand what you said.

I think the 25 cents for 1st 10 minutes and 10 cents a minute after is something they used to have many years ago, but the people who had it then are allowed to keep that rate plan going ("grandfathered" is the term). Now when you sign up to pay per minute it is either 18 cents a min, or $7 a month and then 10 cents a min. They also have pay by the month plans, which operate like a postpaid plan, but you pay in advance, in that you pay per month for a bucket of minutes that resets each month.

#11 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Ahh, yeah I must be grandfather in with that plan. I certainly have no monthly fee whatsoever. They still won't take the goddamn V-Key, even though for shits and giggles I stopped and bought a damn card to reup the minutes, and the V-Key worked fine.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!