Photo
- - - - -

finnaly going for it,

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

...and would you belive they let me play with 30TB!!!

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:00 PM

for a while, i've attempted to switch over and go with linux and windows on the same machine, but I just couldn't get it, but know I've finally got enough hd space, n stuff, my uncle originally put the lycoris distro on it when he built it, but i don't like it at all, and have decided to go with slackware 9.0. A fresh install that was done by me just feels so much better, then from that point I can just continue my learning from there. Well anyway, I'm still a little confused, can anyone help guide me, I'm not sure what to get from the ftp server or how to do this thing that my system does now, which is it gives me a screen with the lycoris boot screen and it give me a boot choise (xp or lycoris), I like the way that works. I would like to have have an easy way to chosse which os to boot. this is just for my original box, my next two are going to be pure linux, but I just have to keep windows around (for fun).

#2 neuro

neuro

biggest post whore in history

• Members
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 12:25 AM

In my opinion, the only real reason to have windows around is gaming without dickin' with WINE.
I hate wine. it killed my parents. :umph:

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 01:08 AM

In my opinion, the only real reason to have windows around is gaming without dickin' with WINE.
I hate wine. it killed my parents. :umph:

mine too!!! Let's kick its ass! :blowfuse:

#4 Tank

Tank

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 01:47 AM

yikes scarry,
as far as linux is concerned i found that windows like to be installed first, Then linux. linux uses a bootmap to load but you may have to fdisk your master boot record. mandrak is what i use, have not played with slackware.
on the ftp just look for the iso file make shure its english.

if your using win2k using ntfs and you are keeping it do not fdisk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 09:11 AM

why would you install slack 9.0 when 9.1 is out?! anyway, i commend you on your distro choice ;)

#6 GUEST_rg_***

GUEST_rg_***
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2003 - 11:19 AM

why would you install slack 9.0 when 9.1 is out?! anyway, i commend you on your distro choice ;)

well for one slack 9 didnt mess up lilo... i recently installed 9.1 and lilo wouldnt see windows

#7 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 05:30 PM

did you configure it properly?? ( ie /etc/lilo.conf)

#8 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 07:45 PM

well, i've been reading and for some reason partition magic says that my hard drive is bad?!?! Its fucking running of the drive it says is bad!!! Ph well, i'm currently running xp and i've already have linux lycoris so i know i've already got linux partitions, will me trying to install slack delete my current distro (which i hate, and i feel i will learn more if i install a distro i chosse). I've been reading and I'm pretty sure that i can do this without fucking up my hard drive. I'm going to practice it on an old 6 gig drive before trying it on the hd i want to keep. I'm not sure how to (confidently) config this lilo thing (more reading required). and i'm probably ganna need to read the 30 page (i like to print, so much ink used) install guide again. I chose 9 instead of 9.1 because on rfa they said that 9.1 wasn't as good. oh well, i'll let you know how it goes, if it goes.

One more thing! i didn't see this in the guide, can i install it on another hd and then have my windows and linux hd working together in the same machine, will lilo see the other hd? or whatever is needed.

#9 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 07:51 PM

when you configure lilo remember that your ide devices are named like so:
hda -> master on 1st ide channel
hdb -> slave on 1st ide channel
hdc -> master on second ide channel
hdd -> slave on second ide channel

and hda1 hda2 hdb4 hdd854 is how partitions are called

#10 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 08:00 PM

can you help me with the other questions i posed hacnslash?

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 08:10 PM

allright, lets see....
yes, installing slack WILL delete lycoris since slack formats the partitions on install. just make sure to select the right partitions.

yes, if you have to hdd's lilo will see both as long as you specify the correct device name (ie /dev/hdx, where x is something from my above post).

as for lilo, i don't know how you add windows on there, but if you want to distros you add this:

image = /boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hdxy (where again x is your selected hdd and y is the partition number)
label = whatever you wanna call it (usually the distro name is the easiest way to differentiate)
read-only

and the type lilo in a console and if you don't get any shit then you're all set.

oh, and dude, trust me 9.1 is better than 9.0 (and if i recall correctly nobody said 9.1 was worse than 9.0 only dual couldn't install it on his shitty via box, and that's not slack's fault). trust me install 9.1 so you don't have to update all the security things in 9.0, plus if you wanna upgrade to the 2.6 kernel 9.1 is already 2.6 ready with the new module init tools and alsa...

#12 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 08:14 PM

*bows down*

Thanks! :voteyes: :D :D

edit: oh yeah! i guess I'm going to getting 9.1 now, thanks for your help!

#13 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 08:54 PM

lol, no need to bow, just being helpful, good luck. ive found that (as most ppl know) slack's learning curve is pretty steep, but if you get the hang of it its sweet...

#14 White_Raven

White_Raven

That's so raven!

• Banned
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 10:51 PM

Slack does not always format the drives; You have to tell it it is ok for it to do so, thus you can have many different os's on the same computer.. ;)

#15 phreakblaze

phreakblaze

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 03:29 PM

yes I know, but i just don't care if it runs over and kills my old distro! I hate it!!! but I am now thinking of getting an 80 gig drive for it, before i only had an 20 gig for it. Thanks for the help, and I'm pretty sure i'll get it, learnding is fun.

#16 GUEST_rg_***

GUEST_rg_***
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2003 - 04:09 PM

did you configure it properly?? ( ie /etc/lilo.conf)

with slack 9 i never needed to config it it was just done automaticly :P

#17 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:12 PM

yeah, when you install it, but if you want to add another boot entry you HAVE to edit lilo.conf in some way.

#18 [pat]

[pat]

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 11:18 PM

best of luck to you...i made the switch not that long ago, and i can never go back

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!