c++ learning and comprehension

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
80 replies to this topic

#1 Avatar/Oroborus

elite

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:31 PM

how does everyone here or on rohitab.com generate so much unique coe and know so much about the c++ lang. when all of the examples in ebooks or tutorials are all the damn same i/o or string handling you talk about win sock and api hooks and all of this stuff and when beginners ask how do you do it alot of the time google well im asking how do you find this info out is there some magical thing, i have some source code and it is amazing but i can't understand how exactly it works i know what each part basically does so all im asking is how do you find out about more practical programming

#2 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

Pick up better books? If you aren't able to write your own code or understand code that you are reading you obviously don't know the language all that well. As far as C++ books go I'd recommend "How to Program C++" from Deitel and Deitel as well as "Practical C++ Programming" from O'reilly.

#3 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

c++ for dummies will start you out slow.

#4 Avatar/Oroborus

elite

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:39 PM

ok im not a total idiot i would say im intermediate i understand what is happening but im saying that the "1337" people sit here and say oh i did this cause i was bored and its a really great code and it's so simple yet looks so complicated and thats what i don't understand how the hell do you find out about these things an i got those books i have alot of books i spend 4000 dollars on books a month like it isn't shit my house is the library in my city literally so i have books but i can't pass that last hurtle you know like im still having problems with syntax and all these other things that are difficult to explain to me it seems everybody else has the answers except the "i just heard of c++ yesterday" people i feel like a noob even though i know im not :unsure:

#5 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:55 PM

ok im not a total idiot i would say im intermediate i understand what is happening but im saying that the "1337" people sit here and say oh i did this cause i was bored and its a really great code and it's so simple yet looks so complicated and thats what i don't understand how the hell do you find out about these things an i got those books i have alot of books i spend 4000 dollars on books a month like it isn't shit my house is the library in my city literally so i have books but i can't pass that last hurtle you know like im still having problems with syntax and all these other things that are difficult to explain to me it seems everybody else has the answers except the "i just heard of c++ yesterday" people i feel like a noob even though i know im not :unsure:

It's called "reading" and "experimenting"

And if you spend $4000/mo on books, why not just pay someone to write your leet shit? I call shenanigans.

#6 tiocsti

tiocsti

rekcah-rebÜ

• Banned
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

you learn by writing real applications in the language, no amount of reading can replace this. Anytime you get stuck on a specific concrete problem, google for help, if you still cant solve it, then go to forums, or irc for help.

how does everyone here or on rohitab.com generate so much unique coe and know so much about the c++ lang. when all of the examples in ebooks or tutorials are all the damn same i/o or string handling you talk about win sock and api hooks and all of this stuff and when beginners ask how do you do it alot of the time google well im asking how do you find this info out is there some magical thing, i have some source code and it is amazing but i can't understand how exactly it works i know what each part basically does so all im asking is how do you find out about more practical programming

#7 Avatar/Oroborus

elite

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:42 AM

i do those things and my friends give me code that i have to look over an blah blah blah, and i don't just spend it all on c++ books i have a very highrange of things i spend it on but usually it's books and i read those books im the fastest reader i know, bkah blah blah im kinda tired of people not giving straight answer im no noob noob i just need to know where to go from here you know how to better myself i do experiment i o try to write practical programs and i either get error messages or wait that all i get and it sux and well yeah im just trying to find something to read that goes past the while loop an getts into the real heart of the language

#8 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:48 AM

If you are getting errors then you obviously don't understand the language as well as you think you do or you are just making common/dumb mistakes which we all do. Why not work on the program until it works instead of just giving up when there are errors? You should also look into spelling/typing classes, I'm have far from perfect grammar and terrible spelling, but at least take the time to read over what you write and spellcheck it. That last post took me forever to read and figure out what you were saying. You will also come off as more than just some random whining 13 year old kid.

#9 tehbizz

tehbizz

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:56 AM

Learn what punctuation is. Someone that spends $4000/mo on books (or anything else) and READS them knows how to use periods and commas.

#10 Vangald

Vangald

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 01:00 AM

It comes from experience. Just start writing programs and keep learning how to do new things. Although I can sympathize with the problems of syntax in C++. It is a hell of a learning curve trying to remember every little coma, simi colon etc. that seems unnecessary (as I believe C# and Python have been the prime examples of that). Just have to practice, research, practice, repeat.

#11 Belial

Belial

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Binrev Financier
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:54 AM

hell of a learning curve trying to remember every little coma, simi colon etc. that seems unnecessary (as I believe C# and Python have been the prime examples of that). Just have to practice, research, practice, repeat.

I think that just might be his problem ! :)

#12 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

You spend $4000 a month on books?

Assuming they're nonfiction books, let's say an average of $50 a book (even though that'll be much lower), so that's 80 books a month. An average of 450 pages a book, that's 36,000 pages. An average of 30 days in a month, that's 1200 pages a day.

How about paperbacks? You can get a paperback for about $7 new, so that's ~571 books a month. 400 pages on average, that's 228,400 pages a month, 7,613 pages a day.

Something tells me you don't really spend $4,000 a month on books. That's $48,000 a year. That's 120 inches of shelf space a month, 120 feet a year. I don't think I even have 120 feet of shelf space and I have a lot of books. Or how about paperbacks? 71 feet of shelf space per month, 856 feet per year. You've passed devoting every wall of your house to bookshelves and have now entered devoting entire large rooms to bookshelves.

You want to know how to program in C++? Read some of those books you say you have. In particularly, ones about C++. No one here will give you some magical answer and make you know everything there is to know about C++ from a forum post. I don't understand why you're even posting, since you seem to have already figured out that what you really need is books. What you really need next is to read them.

#13 Avatar/Oroborus

elite

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

i use comma's and semicolons in my code, im very good at remembering those. and i do try to work on it as much as possible then i have to go back and fix bugs then i change one thing, doesn't do it, then change another doesn't do it , i am still working on alot of programs. and let me rephrase what i said i meant i spend 4000 dollars a month mostly on books not always or all of it on books i read about 3 - 7 books a month depending on size of it, and i get this money from my father. im 18 y/o my fatehr died when i was 5 months and he was in world war two he was almost 80 when he had me and now i get alot of money from his days in the army so over all i spend about maybe 1000 dollars on books a month at the most. i practice alot im mostly programming like 8 hours a day well 4 to 8 since there is so many on here worried about prescision, i just want to know is there any really good practice exercises i can do or something i mean any advise and not just the punctuation bashing i get.

#14 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

i do those things and my friends give me code that i have to look over an blah blah blah, and i don't just spend it all on c++ books i have a very highrange of things i spend it on but usually it's books and i read those books im the fastest reader i know, bkah blah blah im kinda tired of people not giving straight answer im no noob noob i just need to know where to go from here you know how to better myself i do experiment i o try to write practical programs and i either get error messages or wait that all i get and it sux and well yeah im just trying to find something to read that goes past the while loop an getts into the real heart of the language

a couple of things i dont understand. you say that you sit and code for up to 8 hours a day, and you've been doing this for how long? it would seem to me that if you practiced anything for that many hours a day that you should at least have some sense of what questions to ask. the only thing that you have told any of us is that you dont understand c++ but then in the same sentence you say that "im no noob". well i hat to break it to you but you ARE! just accept that and quit trying to pose as something that you're not. you havent gotten a straight answer because you havent asked a straight question about programming in c++. you also say that your friends give you code to look over "blah blah blah" so if you have friends that know what they're doing then why arent they helping you out? if what you say is true and you do have tons of books and you are the "fastest" reader you know (/me lolz) i would suggest slowing down so that you may absorb some of the content that you're reading and understand it a bit more. you can also post your uber l33t code right here in the forums if you have a question about something in your script thats giving you trouble. and if you think that youre gonna be able to just start coding and not get any error messages, youre truly mistaken my friend , errors are about as common as snow in alaska bro, and if think that you can just learn "the heart" of the language as you say without learning the basics then you are going about this entirely the wrong way. if you dont want to take the time to learn about variable types, making constructive arguments, factoring classes, stream I/O, handling errors, etc. etc. then how do you think you can just jump into the heart of the language and start coding? dosnt make sense does it? stop being so defensive, and if youre actually serious about learning the language then ask specific questions about real problems that youre having with your code.

#15 angelfly

angelfly

H4x0r

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

The best thing to do is not just read a book. Either use books or free online material to get a grasp of the language. After that think of an app you want to make and start on it. You'll use what you know and as you go deeper in it you'll become more proficient. I always recommend people do small apps instead of just pumping out hello worlds and loop test.

#16 Avatar/Oroborus

elite

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

a couple of things i dont understand. you say that you sit and code for up to 8 hours a day, and you've been doing this for how long? it would seem to me that if you practiced anything for that many hours a day that you should at least have some sense of what questions to ask. the only thing that you have told any of us is that you dont understand c++ but then in the same sentence you say that "im no noob". well i hat to break it to you but you ARE! just accept that and quit trying to pose as something that you're not. you havent gotten a straight answer because you havent asked a straight question about programming in c++. you also say that your friends give you code to look over "blah blah blah" so if you have friends that know what they're doing then why arent they helping you out? if what you say is true and you do have tons of books and you are the "fastest" reader you know (/me lolz) i would suggest slowing down so that you may absorb some of the content that you're reading and understand it a bit more. you can also post your uber l33t code right here in the forums if you have a question about something in your script thats giving you trouble. and if you think that youre gonna be able to just start coding and not get any error messages, youre truly mistaken my friend , errors are about as common as snow in alaska bro, and if think that you can just learn "the heart" of the language as you say without learning the basics then you are going about this entirely the wrong way. if you dont want to take the time to learn about variable types, making constructive arguments, factoring classes, stream I/O, handling errors, etc. etc. then how do you think you can just jump into the heart of the language and start coding? dosnt make sense does it? stop being so defensive, and if youre actually serious about learning the language then ask specific questions about real problems that youre having with your code.

i have been programming for two years now off and on, been programming in c++ for about 6 months straight, read over 15 books on it, and can't understand the complicated subjects. pretty much past the while loop.
and let me rephrase myself im not a total noob.
im not posing as anything i suck at code making, i have no imagination or application in mind.
i haven't given a straight answer cause i can't word it correctly.
my friends don't help me cause i don't want there full help i just want tips, if i have people always helping me i will grow dependent on there help.
and with speed reading comes better comprehension look it up.
thank you i will post my code on here more often then, but its far from uber 1337.
i no there a errors i just get pissed off when i fix one problem and get another.
im aking only for tips on how to learn and not but just practicing code over and over i know that, im asking what helped everyone else out.
ok one problem i am having is putting a while loop in a if statement can one of you give me a non specific example of this please

tips on how to read this (lol) each question or statement in the quote has a answer, the answer has its own line dedicated to it .

#17 tehbizz

tehbizz

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:19 PM

Doing it for 6 months but can't get past a while loop? I still call shenanigans considering how dead /easy/ while loops are to write.

Like everyone else says, you obviously don't understand the language at all and if you've read 15 books on it, you for damn sure would be able to get past a while loop and would easily be able to troubleshoot your own errors. Either that or you're buying the worst books possible on C++.

Overall: shenanigans.

#18 Rightcoast

Rightcoast

mmm ... donuts

• 2,074 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

Dude ... this would go better if you gave up on the handle where you forever be known as a guy who can't spell, punctuate, articulate questions or code, yet insists he does does all of the above with above average ability.

Not a flame, just some unsolicited advice. Forget this account and come back as someone humble and honest with themselves about what they do and do not know, and with the ability to use a period and the shift key.

The ONLY reason this isn't a PM, is because I think you need to see a couple people go "yeah man, good idea", and so other youngsters get the message.

#19 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Dude ... this would go better if you gave up on the handle where you forever be known as a guy who can't spell, punctuate, articulate questions or code, yet insists he does does all of the above with above average ability.

Not a flame, just some unsolicited advice. Forget this account and come back as someone humble and honest with themselves about what they do and do not know, and with the ability to use a period and the shift key.

The ONLY reason this isn't a PM, is because I think you need to see a couple people go "yeah man, good idea", and so other youngsters get the message.

yeah man, good idea.

Maybe you should play with BASIC first. Are you strong minded with math?? you don't have to be a math god taking all of those advanced classes and such.. just good with a calculator... You remind me of this guy who is a super god with crossword puzzles, language, and books. but when it comes to turning a wrench he's the village idiot... no offense.. but some people just don't get it.

plus spell check is a god send...

Start easy, write you a while loop that just prints out the number, before, during and after the loop, and not just the number, but a letter in front of it like (b1,d1,d2,d3,d4,a5) so you know 'where' in the loop it was printed from... and see where they don't jive up with what your expecting... then change your expectations.

#20 LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS

TCP/IP....PI/MP

• Members
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

Doing it for 6 months but can't get past a while loop? I still call shenanigans considering how dead /easy/ while loops are to write.

Like everyone else says, you obviously don't understand the language at all and if you've read 15 books on it, you for damn sure would be able to get past a while loop and would easily be able to troubleshoot your own errors. Either that or you're buying the worst books possible on C++.

Overall: shenanigans.

OFFICIAL WORD OF THE DAY: shenanigans

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!