Photo
- - - - -

boxes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 metguru

metguru

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone has been able to use a <insert color here> box these days. Ive read that most phone companies are using digital phone equipment now, and im not sure how updated this is, as they all might be by now. Are there any new techniques available if using boxes doesn't work anymore? I haven't had time to make or try any boxes, and figured it would be a waste of time if they can't be used.

#2 amazing_ned

amazing_ned

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

As long as there are TNIs and linemen there will always be beige boxing. I've heard red boxing does in fact still work in some areas, but YMMV.

#3 Linux

Linux

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Banned
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

There is a decent article about redboxing and finding the places where it still works in this quarter's 2600.

#4 Royal

Royal

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 431 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:59 PM

There is a decent article about redboxing and finding the places where it still works in this quarter's 2600.

I was just about to mention my article and you beat me to it. I got so sick and tired of hearing people say that it's dead or only possible through local operators; so that's finally cleared up to the max.

Anyway, aside from red boxing and beige boxing, there are a few other boxes that still have some use today, one of which is a newer "box" called the Orange Box. I would highly recommend Fixer's box review which goes over all of the phreak boxes and their plausibility as of today. In my opinion though, phreaking isn't really all about phreak boxes anymore considering that we're long past the electromechanical switching days.

#5 PhreakerD7

PhreakerD7

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, from what I've seen, Phreaking seems to have come much more into actual exploration of the phone networks, rather than using boxes on it. Don't get me wrong, old school phreakers were all about phone network exploration, but it seems like now-a-days, it's not about using boxes anymore.

Thats only my opinion though. I'm interested in what other people think as well.

#6 Rpm

Rpm

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:02 AM

As long as there are TNIs and linemen there will always be beige boxing. I've heard red boxing does in fact still work in some areas, but YMMV.

Yeah-about ten years ago, when me and my friend used to go out beige boxing almost every night, we would take a party box with us. ( which is still usable today w/two beige boxes )
Leaving gay sex line recordings on telco employees vmb's , or connecting two operators together , or whatever used to be funny as hell.

Yeah-those were the days..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!