• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 kleptic

kleptic

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 01:36 PM

I used to go diving at local telephone company buildings. Those guys throw away some weird shit sometimes. Like aligator clips that are still useful. One time I found a linemans headset that still worked, a hard hat.. Sometimes I find credit card info. And sometimes I find doughnuts. But don't eat the doughnuts. You don't know how long they've been there.

I haven't gone diving in a while though. Maybe I'll swan dive into a dumpster sometime again soon.

#22 sl1pm0de

sl1pm0de

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 03:23 PM

I will tell you that the best places to go dumpster diving is places that sell cell phones. Don't go to just any outlet, goto one that has been around for a while and sells for more then one provider.

Yes dumpster diving is illegal and can get you in a "heep" of trouble. Heep haha. Ok bad joke.

#23 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:43 AM

...he shoots....HE SCORES!!!!

Made my third DD outing today. LOTSA COOL LOOT!!!!!

Stop 1: The computer dealer I used to work a few years ago....they are closed on Sunday so I've bene hittin 'em regularly. My first few stops yieled nothing. Today, the dumptser was chock full. It was raining and everything was wet and nasty so I didn;t want to jump in.

****side note: I have a real phobia about blindly jumping into anything with garbage after what happened to a friend of mine last year...he went to push some garbage into a dumpster outside where he works and got stuck with a bloody hypo needle sticking out of a bag with a bunch of used condoms. He was on the HIV cocktail for 6 months....he's OK, but he and his wife went through pure hell with it all, and the memory lingers*****

Poked around the big clear bags filled with mainly packing peanuts, but scored some stuff that might not mean much to other people, but for me running my biz they are worth a fortune.....kind of a little industrial espiaonge you might say. Said computer dealer is an indirect competitor, so the stuff I found is PRECIOUS. But I really went looking for 'puter stuff....just happened to find paper stuff thats even better. All stuff was inside the garbage bags, protected from the rain:

- A book in mint condition called "The Municipal Computer Systems Handbook: A Practical Guide to Computer Planning, Procurement, Negotiations, Contracts, and Implementation for Governments, School Districts, Utilities and Not-for-Profits". It's a book that's geared towards these groups in their search for upgrading their systems and networks. This book is a road map for me to deal with these groups and people....speak their lingo and learn how to talk to them.

- A backordered item list with the names and phone numbers of the clietns: A bunch of contacts for me to add to my mailing lists = potential business. Some of the names are companies I've wanted to contact, but wanted a name of someone on the inside first...now I have some.

- A price list of what they charge for some of the same services I provide.

- Some serivce repair orders, showing what they charge along with the legal mumbo-jumbo to cover their ass in the event they nuke a clients hard drive. Very important to me cuz I need something with the same type of legal mumbo-jumbo and had no clue where to start. More names and phone munbers on the SROs too.

Cool stuff for my purposes...but everything smells like stale donuts

* BUT WAIT......THAT'S NOT ALL!

Stop 2: I felt like I needed another fix before I went home. The HQ for the state teachers union is a block from the compu-dealer on my way home......so........I stopped.

One covered dumpster...opened the top. Not 1, Not 2, but 3....THU-REE fucking PC's sitting ontop of all the garbage. :o

Mine! Didn't look to see what they were, just tossed them in the car and drove off. That was it. I didn't think I was going to top that. Stopped at the used PC store on the way home, cuz I have no PC mice or keyboards. I've been thinking about getting a Wintel box solely to have as a 100% open source machine, but would rather spend the money on a new PowerBook. But if I could get one of these things running......SHA-WING!!!! :pengy:

They are all pretty old: a Compaq Presario 4712 and two IBM PC300PL's (also called the 6562 as far as I can tell). The Compaq is DOA. The power supply seems to work, but otherwise, no joy. Maybe the logic board is fried. Both IBMs work, but one has no RAM. Put the RAM from the other one in, and it boots up, goes through it's startup dance and gets this message:

"PXE-M04: Initializing network boot device using interrupt 18h"

Then it gets a Win98 spalsh screen and that's as far as it gets.....the hard drive just grinds and grinds and grinds. It seems like it's looking for some netboot directory that it won't ever find anymore and I don;t know how to disable it. Couldn't find anything useful about "PXE-M04" on a Google search. Anbody have any ideas?

The second IBM boots right up and starts WinNT 4.0. A Novell Client log-in box pops up with the username "admin" and it asks for the password. You have the option of connecting to the Novell server, but I checked the "Workstation Only" box since there is no Novell server to connect to.

First I tried the intials of the teachers union whose dumpster I raided. No joy. Then I tired "1234". Still no joy. Then I tired "novell". BINGO! Gee. That was tough. Got right to the desktop. Poked around the folders, but there don;t seem to be any documents or other interetsing info. Just a few apps: the M$ Standards: IE, Orifice, and Outlook Express. There is a Novell Workgroup app that tries to connect to the server, but the IP address its looking for must be one from an internal network. But, the machine seems to be running fine. Floppy, CD and Ethernet work, but haven't tried the USB yet. It's in real good shape, but I think I want to paint the damn thing some sorta German splinter camo.

So now that I have this thing running, I have to find a Linux distro to put on it. I have Red Hat 8.0 but I don't think it will run on this thing...not without more RAM and a larger hard drive anyway. It only has 32MB of RAM and a 2.5GB drive. This would be a perfect time to try Knoppix. :ATTN:

I really don't want to spend more money than the 7 bucks for the keyboard and mouse, but will have to drop the Reichsmarks for the RAM if I want to use this thing for much. Will try and find some cheap RAM at the 'puter graveyard store 2morrow. I'm gonna bring the Compaq in and see if they want it for parts...maybe they'll trade it for some cheap old RAM. I'll keep the other IBM for now....would love to see what's on it's drive.

all in all, it was a good day.....

#24 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:50 PM

Now that, that my friends was a damn good DD run, three puters, man that is kick ass.

#25 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 08:05 PM

It's down to one computer today. I was up till like 4AM dickin' around trying to get the one IBM to boot. Finally got it going by swapping the hard drive out from the other IBM, but I still only had the 32MB between the two. The hard drive from the one that wouldn't boot is shot. The Compaq was totally DOA. I wanted to at least yank the drive out of the Compaq, but it had some realy phunky proprietary drive that wouldn't fit in anything else I have. A little research showed these Presarios had part of the BIOS on the hard drive. Wierd.

So, I gave the two parts cows to the used computer store for $35 worth of store credit. I have the last IBM up and running but am having a real hard time finding xtra RAM for it. SO, I have a free computer and $35 of "free" computer stuff when I need something.

#26 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 10:23 PM

How old is it, and what kind of ram does it need?
You probably all already know this so I dont know why I'm saying it but anyway.....
If you dont know, dont worry, on crucial's site and maybe kingston(dont quote me on that) they have mamory wizards, that ask you what computer you have and they tell you what memory you need for it. Then just go buy that type of ram from a generic vendor, one that doesn't charge as much as crucial (damn corporate hogs)
This is how I managed to find out what type of ram I needed for an old gateway 2000 P5-60....lil bit of useless info there...

#27 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 12:20 AM

How old is it, and what kind of ram does it need?
You probably all already know this so I dont know why I'm saying it but anyway.....
If you dont know, dont worry, on crucial's site and maybe kingston(dont quote me on that) they have mamory wizards, that ask you what computer you have and they tell you what memory you need for it.

Thanks fer the info. I thinks the puter is like 5 or 6 years old. Yeah, I'd already narrowed down the RAM. Anyplace that does have non-parity EDO 168-pin DIMMs wants way more than I want to put into this thing. The best price I found was where I usually buy my RAM, MemoryToGo.com, like $75 for 128MB. I was hoping for more like $30...or free. If someone in town here had some I would have scored it today.

Maybe I can find another one in the dumpster again soon. ;)

But I do have Red Hat 8.0 installed on it. It runs, but the drive is CONSTANTLY accessing the swap partiton and it's SLLLLOOOOWWWWWW doing anything. This 'puter will need two things:
1) More RAM
2) Me to read dual's article on running fat distros on thin hardware

#28 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:14 PM

if its that old, make sure that one slot supports 128 megs, when I upgraded my old pentium 60 I found out the socket 4 motherboard only supported 32 megs per slot, me careful about this. Anyway check out pcprogress.com they got some good shit, that's where I bought my ram and a 40 gig hdd, for that same computer. the thing that pissed me off about them is that they sent me a 5400 rpm drive instead of the 7200 that I ordered, the prices where the same at the time, so maybe that's where they made the mistake, but still...

#29 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:18 PM

5400 rpm instead of a 7200? Yow. That's a pretty big mistake. Especially if yer using the drive to render video. I know how you feel. I get SOOOO pissed when simple things like that get screwed up.

Thanks for the link. That place has some really great prices on stuff. I did find the RAM through them for the IBM , but it was still like $45 for a 128MB stick. That's the best price I'd found but still just over the top of what I want to spend on this project right now. But I'll probably get it soon anyway. Trying to save my pennies for a new lappy and wasn't planning on adding another horse to the stable.

Thanks for the heads up on the RAM specs. I hadn't thought of that, but IBM's site says that 128MB sticks are supported. It has 3 slots with a max of 384MB, so I should be fine.

Gonna try putting Mandrake 7.2 on it as soon as I d/l and burn the ISOs. Wanted to find SuSE 8.0 and try it, but that seems to be MIA.

#30 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:12 PM

you know I dodn't even try to send it back, for what I have on it right now, (redhat 8, very very soon to be longhorn and slackware) it's not gonna affect my performance all that much, I didn't really even care, but the fact that they screwed it up pissed me off really bad, I mean I never bought anything from them ever again, that's really the only time ive got an order screwed up.

#31 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, I *SO* know what ya mean. I just ordered a few DVDs and one they sent wasn't what I ordered. No biggie since I'll just take it to Circuit City and say I got it as a gift. But it's just the fact that they screwed up and I have to make an extra trip outta my way. I mean, if I had actually WANTED Pretty In Pink, I would have fucking ordered it. Oh well, at least I can "explore" the store a little while I'm there.

#32 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:27 PM

Speakin of stores, I live in west virginia, and it's actually a really small town, and I hear they're building a new mall with a best buy in it, sweet retail hacking heaven, it's gonna be awesome, plus I bet I can find good stuff around they're dumpsters....

*edit* holy shit dude, I am now a super 1337 p1mp this is cool *edit*

#33 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:28 PM

Amen to that, brother!

#34 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 14 March 2003 - 10:25 PM

today I stopped by office depot, and I decided to take a look around their dumpster. It was 3 pm, so there wasnt a lot of activity. I found this funny letter to a store manager (i think) from this dude (who I think was a student here at the university) he said he would appreciate it if he could find a job for him, but he was gonna be away for spring break next week so he couldnt be reached, jeez, the dude wants a job but he's puttin his boss-to-be on hold....lol
I also found a rechargable battery and a laptop keyboard key (i was hopin the rest was around......but it wasnt)

#35 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 08:51 PM

I brought home another stray computer today. This one was in the dumpster of a computer store a couple of hours from here. I had to go out of town for some family stuff today, and figured....WTF, I might as well see what dumpsters I can find. My local ones have been dry as of late. This machine is a no-namer. It just says Tandem Station LC 466. It boots right up (into Win95), but I can't find what the hell kind of system it is or what processor it has. Where the fuck does Windows hide the system profile? It's like it doesn't WANT you to know anything about your computer. Haven;t been able to find how much space on the drive either. I'll just crack open the case...far easier than forcing the info from Windoze. It seems to work OK, but it has no Ethernet card and only has 32MB of RAM. So, I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet.

Also found dumpsters all over the business park that now occupies the now-defunct Air Force base I was poking around today. Didn't look at too many cuz I was a little paranoid, being on an airbase and all. After stumbling across a VERY ACTIVE Air Force command bunker with 4 fully armed Security Police guarding the entrance, I didn't feel like getting shot for rumaging through garbage.

#36 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 08:59 PM

no trash is worth gettin shot at......well except if its like something you really really want.........nah, I still dont think itd be worth gettin shot at. :)

#37 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:21 PM

Half eaten donuts and coffee grounds, no. Phone cards, computers and other useful stuff?.....lemme think about that....... ;)

#38 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:23 PM

well, if you're fast enough, then go for it, I know my slow ass would get riddled with bullets fore I ever got a chance to turn around :roll:

#39 logan5

logan5

Hakker addict

• 534 posts

Posted 17 March 2003 - 09:08 AM

Well, if my performance in 1st person shooting games is any indication, I'd be swiss cheese too. :lol:

Forgot to mention that i also found an office supply store than had just moved to another location, but their dumpster still had a few cool things in it. They had all these awards and IBM typewriter (what's a typewriter?) dealer promo stuff. I wish I'd snagged more, but I did get a framed award they got from IBM for being a "Model Dealer". The frames on all the stuff were really nice and the glass was all intact, so that alone would have been worth it. Kicking myself. :pissed:

#40 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,213 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 02:34 PM

i'm going to get one of them ameritech laptops... there sweet as all hell too bad there in the frount of the van :(

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!