• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 09:59 PM

well as a newb i decided that it would be fun to go for a dive at my local cable & internet provider to see what i could find. well what i did find was quite interesting. now i thought i would find more techy stuff like broken digital cable boxes or at least analog boxes or if i was really lucky a cable modem. but no!!! i found food garbage and shit ( no real shit but you get the point.) the only real thing that i keep as a reminder of my first dive was an analog remote. well i will continue with my diving and hopefully i can get some manuals or something kewl that is better than a remote!

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 01:16 AM

well obviously they are going to have some normal trash, I mean even evil cable company employees have to eat. ;) But finding good stuff is hit and miss from what I see/hear. Usually they throw out large groups of the good stuff together.

I thin kcable companies would be a good palce to find exactly what you described!

#3 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 04:38 PM

well ya they will have regular garbage i wasn't complaining i was telling everyone of my first dive. but i will continue with this dumpster and i will find more and hopefully find something of interest. btw the peeps at that cable company are a bunch of drunks there was more beer in that dumpster than anything else. :D

#4 W1nt3rmut3

W1nt3rmut3

Phreak Scout

• 321 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 07:34 PM

just as a tip, if there is ALOT of consumer garbage, and were talking stuff that really doesnt belong in a telco switching office or cable office, then its safe to say its neighbor garbage. But, if it really isnt a residential hood, then they are wild drunks :)

At the CO by me, its 90% consumer crap. never any cool shit.

#5 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:34 PM

are they in a stand alone building? maybe they are sharing the dumpster with a neighbor (restaraunt, bar, general mall trash). Usually they are stand alone, so you may be right about them being drunks!

Or, w1nt3rmut3 got their first and disposed of his party supplies. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 29 November 2002 - 12:32 AM

:D :D hehe funny no its not stand alone its a payment center, but when i last talked to some one at the corp office they said that they had equipment there and since i live a mile away from the place i decided what the hell and gave it a go. but there are no resturants in the strip mall... but who knows, but if they are drunks then that could be a plus since people who get drunk alot do get stupid ( no offense to any people here who drink alot) and through good shit away. :rock: that would be kewl!!

#7 kondor

kondor

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 04:33 PM

I went for Recycle bins, there you only get good stuff, the worst I found was a dirty/used nose tissue.

#8 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 06:04 PM

talk about finding kewl shit in normal shit. when I was thorwing the trash away (I live in an apartment complex, so there are more than 1 dumpsters) I found a complete pentium system ( 233 Mhz 64 Mb 8Gb HDD), too bad it had a 220 volt power supply, some1 must've brought it from like Europe or somwhere, i tried using an old power supply I had, but i shorted the thing out ( smoke and everything, nasty burnt circuit smell). So I had to throw it out, I still have the processor, ram and modem...
Another find was a brand new, check this out, brand new ATX case, I looked up the model and make no. and it was a 50 buck case, sweet shit, I still have that. Only in America... :usa:

#9 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 11 December 2002 - 07:23 PM

nasty burnt circuit smell

:wub: I LOVE that burnt circuit smell... :wub:

#10 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 10:57 AM

Burnt circuit smell, that's what I just smelled, after frying an old tnt2 on an antique motherboard, I don't know what the hell happened. I hope that's the only thing I burned... :(

#11 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:51 AM

well went for another dive yesterday at my local blockbuster. i was returning my overdue movies when i had a thought..... the fall issue of 2600! i remembered the article about social enginering your way out of late fees and decieded to take the dive. at first i found a bag full of movie boxes and thought i hit the jackpot......but nope empty. kept on moving around and found some xbox boxes. again i had that thought come back..... again.....empty. then i decieded that maybe i should look for some info or just anything and then i grabbed nicely stappled packet of paper. stuffed it in my jacket and left. i then looked at it later to find i have a list of all of the blockbusters in MN and WI. Store #'s, Phone, Fax, Vmail with pass, names of managers, when the store was opened, district managers names etc. so if anyone whats the info i will be posting that later today(i'm at work right now, and i don't think they would like that to much).

#12 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 08:54 AM

Hell yeah I want it! Type it up and we'll put it in the Retail Hacking section at oldskoolphreak.

#13 feend

feend

microphone commander

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 01:59 PM

Hmm what are the laws like in reguards to garbage? I've heard that once you put your garbage out someone can go through it and that's perfectly legal. Does the same go for dumpster diving some mom and pop computer shop?

#14 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 03:52 PM

I am almost positive that it is illegal. The reason is because it is on private property, and therefore, tresspassing.

Even FBI agents are not supposed to be allowed in your garbage (yeah, that stops them like it stops us...) until it actually leaves your property and hits the garbage truck. Then it become property of the city, county, whatever...

#15 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 04:06 PM

Stankdawg: yeah but if what you say is true, then going thru somebodys garbage is completely ok, the only crime being committed would be trespassing, not going thru trash, and what if I took the trash out on the curb and just left it there, that's in front of my house on the sidewalk, thats public property....

#16 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 04:13 PM

It wouldn't hurt to call your local 5-o and find out. but then they might just "tell" you its illegal. Or you could ( if you have tons of spare time) look it up in a legal book, but thats probably a waste of time.

#17 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 08:58 AM

well, the fact that it leaves your yard and is on city property doesn't really tell the story. The wind could blow it onto city property as well, that doesn't make it any less your property.

The point occurs when you willingly allow someone else (legally called an "agent") take possession of your property. In this case, it is the garbageperson picking up your trash on the corner where you WILLINGLY placed it for pickup. Until the transaction takes places to that agent, it is still your property.

#18 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 10:18 AM

like you said you are willingly giveing your property away. whos to say who needs to come and pick it up. it is garbage and no one really wants garbage. and if their is personal info in there and you didn't shread it or dispose of it in a proper manner then its your fault if someone gets it. the point is, that it is something that you don't want any more and you are giving it away. i know i have given things away that i consitered garbage.

one mans garbage is another mans treasure.

#19 Epiphany

Epiphany

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 08:32 PM

Twirlz congrats on your first dumpster dive. It will turn into an addiction once you find some cool stuff trust me.

Anyway most of the regular members on the board i'm sure already know this.. but for all the people who still dont know or haven't tried it.. it's a little technique I like to call online dumpster diving. (It's a lot cleaner)

Ok so the search engine google has spiders that crawl around the web cacheing files on their network. Now alot of times their programs cache some stuff they are not supposed to have. For example pdf files (ebook... read with Acrobat) are cached as well as html files and in some companies pdf files that were on their webserver are now linked in google.

Now in order to do your online diving you need to put into little phrases like "verizon pdf proprietary".... and you can substitute verizon for any big company that you want. The results I can say are very satisfying.

If you want to take it a little further you can substitute proprietary with confidental. Be wary though... dont take it too far. Happy online diving!! B)

#20 Quasi_Mofo

Quasi_Mofo

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:52 AM

I had the double pleasure today of having my first dumpster diving attempt while out on my first ghetto/wardriving expedition. Well, dumspter "diving" is probably inaccurate. It was more like lookign inside open dumpsters to see what was in them. For a long while, I've wanted to inspect the dumpster of the computer dealer where I worked a few years ago. They often threw out lots of great stuff...I have a clost full of computers, parts and cables to prove it. I'm not too keen on jumping into a dumpster at night in the middle of winter, and since I'm self-employed and trying to build my business, I really can't take the chance of getting busted. So, I figured a daylight raid under the guise of looking for boxes would be less risky. Someone please tell me if that excuse doesn't work anymore. :(

I knew the computer store (my target) was closed on Sunday but they are located in a mini-strip mall with two other stores (a hardware store and a hair salon). I really didn't want to take the chance of being seen, since the dumpster is in back where the employees of all three stores take their smoke breaks. I called the other two stores to see what time they closed....no answer at either place. I drove by the building slowly to do a quick recon and confirmed the other two stores were closed. Yup! I was in luck. I drove in back, and checked the dumpster. It was pretty full, mainly of bags full of packing peanuts. There were some peices of an apparently dead monitor some ATA ribbon cables and a bunch of various power tool parts and some "regular" garbage. Not too much of value to me.

In short, even though I didn't come away anythign other than some hard drive cables, I learned some valuable info for my next trip: I know the other two stroes are closed on Sunday when the computer store is also closed, and I know that the dumpster is not emptied on the weekends. Having a little bit of inside info also helps too, as I know what kind of stuff is put into the dumpster so I know it's a good source for the kinds of things I'm lookign for. Targeting a place where you used to work might carry a certain amount of risk (in my case this computer store is a bit of a competitor), but the payoff potential and use of the inside info you posess can make it too tempting to pass up.

Maybe on my next trip back I'll decide to get a little dirtier and climb into the damn thing.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!