• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TyrranzzX

TyrranzzX

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 12:54 PM

I asked for Suse 8.1 pro for an x-mas present and I'v got the box sitting on my shelf, I haven't opened it up yet (a testament to lazyness!). I recently built a box just for linux/windows toy arounding (mostly nvidia parts, abit nf-7/gf2 mx440/ 512 meg ddr ram, Ath TbredA 1700+, liteon cdrom, floppy, 40 gig wd drive).

Anyway, I'v read through most of the manuals that came with it; both the admin and user manuals (which are almost identical, cept the admin is thicker). Is there anything I should do/suggestions for installs?

I know on my older win2k install I had one partition for the OS, another for the swap file, another for applications, another for storage and another for backup (my last set of installs, I had 3 harddisks with a c-o drives). I know linux uses different partitions in the same way; one filesystem for storage, another for swap file, another for the OS, etc.

#2 DipShit

DipShit

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 02:18 PM

Its generally easier to install windows 1st. (not really eassier, but theres less chance of it getting screwwed up if you don't know much about partitioning and file systems) After that in the suse install you'll probly only want to make 2 partitions for linux, a swap partiton and a root (/) partition. Some distrobutions like you to make more partitions but its easier to make only one swap partition and one for the main file system becouse you don't have to worry about assigning too much to too little to any one partition.

#3 psychopuppy

psychopuppy

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 02:59 PM

yeah install windows first or it will overwrite whatever linux bootloader you installed. I'd put /home on a seperate partition in case you want to reinstall or change distro without losing all your personal stuff and configs.

#4 TyrranzzX

TyrranzzX

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 03:40 PM

Yea, I was curious about the bootloader, that does sound aufuly logical. Thanks :)

Anything else?

#5 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 05:15 PM

yeah, install windows first if you must install windows....

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!