18 replies to this topic

#1 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

http://209.85.165.10....Phreaktastic-a

Unfortunately, it seems Verizon is to begin shutting down the White Plains #4ESS, starting in March, and by the 30th, "Any traffic sent to WHPLNYWP06T will not be completed." . The replacing tandem isn't, as many of you would have expected,a VoIP tandem, but instead, a 5ESS. It's sad to see Verizon shutting these down; they always seemed to me like a "specialized" switch, to be handling long distance traffic and all that. Now it's just another 5E. Fortunately, as far as I can tell, AT&T doesn't show any signs of doing anything like this yet, though, and they're the primary owners of many 4Es :) .

R I P

WHPLNYWP06T

August 1980 - March 2007

EDIT: One thing I'd like to mention is that the prefix is 914-394 there, but there aren't that many working numbers that terminate to the tandem. You must have Verizon long distance service to reach it, or else you'll reach a recording that really starts to show the switch's age.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker, 30 January 2007 - 12:15 AM.

#2 Strom Carlson

Strom Carlson

Nub

• Members
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:02 AM

Considering that 4ESS is approaching 31 years since its first deployment, I'm actualy surprised that the switch is still in such heavy use. Anyway, apart from the lack of the phased announcement system, 5ESS is much nicer.

I forget, but I /think/ the latest version of 5ESS can do VoIP with the right modules and program load.

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:05 PM

My guess is they're not wanting to upgrade it to VoIP just yet; most of the time Verizon rips out a tandem to put calls over the VoIP network, they'll put in a Lucent 7R/E, or some other strange breed of soft switch.

#4 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:16 AM

http://209.85.165.10....Phreaktastic-a

Unfortunately, it seems Verizon is to begin shutting down the White Plains #4ESS, starting in March, and by the 30th, "Any traffic sent to WHPLNYWP06T will not be completed." . The replacing tandem isn't, as many of you would have expected,a VoIP tandem, but instead, a 5ESS. It's sad to see Verizon shutting these down; they always seemed to me like a "specialized" switch, to be handling long distance traffic and all that. Now it's just another 5E. Fortunately, as far as I can tell, AT&T doesn't show any signs of doing anything like this yet, though, and they're the primary owners of many 4Es :) .

AT&T (long lines) has discontinued some 4ESS switches and replaced them with 5ESS. Detroit, Harisburg and Philadelphia are some examples.

They still have many 4ESS switches in the network, but many have been supplemneted with 5ESS switches (or maybe DMS-200 switches) as terminating switches, while the 4ESS is still used as origination in many cases.

I'm on a newer 4ESS (circa 1997/1998) that seems to use digital technology for the announcement recordings (they aren't the old scratchy kind)

#5 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:50 PM

It's interesting that you'd say that a good few have been replaced. I recall on your site that you mentioned that the 4ESS in Richmond, VA was removed from service. Despite that, I've never gotten a recording from 8049L before. Any error message I get from routing a call over AT&T's network will go to a recording from 078T when originating call, and I've been able to terminate to it from areas, such as from the Rocky Mount 4E, or the one in Nashville. Can you tell me what you did to route a call to 8049L?

Also, could give me an example of a location where the calls terminate to a newer tandem, yet calls originating still go through the 4E? I'd appreciate it :).

#6 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 10:45 PM

It's interesting that you'd say that a good few have been replaced. I recall on your site that you mentioned that the 4ESS in Richmond, VA was removed from service. Despite that, I've never gotten a recording from 8049L before. Any error message I get from routing a call over AT&T's network will go to a recording from 078T when originating call, and I've been able to terminate to it from areas, such as from the Rocky Mount 4E, or the one in Nashville. Can you tell me what you did to route a call to 8049L?

No, the 4ESS in Richmond, VA (088-T) is still in service, as far as I know. Same for the OSPS (804-0T), which I'm surprised considering how many OSPS systems are being consolidated throughout the US. (I'm wondering how much longer before the OSPS is retired and all operator calls are routed via the Alexandria, VA OSPS 703-0T).

In this particular case, the 5ESS is being used as a CLEC switch or a terminating tandem. (I should rephrase that on the page you're referring to.)

I once found the 804-9L recording from dialing a number via the Richmond OSPS (forgot what I dialed - will need to do the research).

Also, could give me an example of a location where the calls terminate to a newer tandem, yet calls originating still go through the 4E? I'd appreciate it :).

Again, it was through the OSPS that I found it. Its been a couple of years, I'll have to dig out my notes on how I did it :-)

Edited by dmine45, 18 February 2007 - 10:58 PM.

#7 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

[
I once found the 804-9L recording from dialing a number via the Richmond OSPS (forgot what I dialed - will need to do the research).

I remember now.. it was a test number for the yet-to-be-implemented 855 toll free area code. But it was done via the OSPS.

Of course, attempting to dial a toll free number from OSPS gives you reorder now :(

#8 anubis26

anubis26

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

I know that it's somewhat of a stupid and off-topic question, but where do the switches go after they are 'retired'?

#9 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

Probably to be used for spare parts first, or they might sell it used, as I've seen them do with a few 5ESSes and other switches before. I've heard sometimes they just toss it in the scrap heap, too :mumble: .

#10 anubis26

anubis26

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

Can you say Dumpster Diving? :D
Maybe someday when they are commercially useless, some phreaks/hackers will get a hold of one. </fantasizing>

#11 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Maybe someday when they are commercially useless, some phreaks/hackers will get a hold of one. </fantasizing>

People have discussed such an possibility, and the issue is that Lucent does not have a program in which to acquire licenses for the switch software unless you are a major telco. The purchase programs at Lucent have two payment options:
  • Body Parts
  • Firstborn Children
Both of which hobbyists are reluctant to part with.

Software licensing... It will kill you every time...

#12 anubis26

anubis26

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:01 PM

People have discussed such an possibility, and the issue is that Lucent does not have a program in which to acquire licenses for the switch software unless you are a major telco. The purchase programs at Lucent have two payment options:
  • Body Parts
  • Firstborn Children

And I'm sure they'd be very happy to change their policy to give away millions of dollars of switching equipment to a bunch of phreaks. <_<

#13 BlackRatchet

BlackRatchet

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:07 PM

Considering the people who did the initial inquiries were former Bell employees, I don't think they're going to make exceptions for other people ;)

#14 anubis26

anubis26

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

So inevitably, the only place we might see the switch will be the bell system memorial...

#15 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

Believe it or not, you can actually find switches on eBay every so often. You'll still get charged up the ass for one, but not significantly as much as if you bought it from our friends over at Lucent, or one of the Verizon auctions.

#16 anubis26

anubis26

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

Believe it or not, you can actually find switches on eBay every so often. You'll still get charged up the ass for one, but not significantly as much as if you bought it from our friends over at Lucent, or one of the Verizon auctions.

Speaking of auctions...
http://gsaauctions.g...=81FBPI07029016

#17 Linux

Linux

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Banned
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

• Body Parts
  • Firstborn Children

"But does it run Linux?" :P :whatsup:

Edited by Linux, 10 March 2007 - 04:37 PM.

#18 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:28 PM

It looks like the switch has been given a bit longer to live :)

http://www22.verizon...s-03_22,00.html

#19 tacomaster

tacomaster

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

Speaking of auctions...
http://gsaauctions.g...=81FBPI07029016

Wow, that is the vaugest thing ive ever seen.. Still.. <Want>

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!