• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

Anyone use something like Process Tamer to adjust the priority of Windows apps?
http://www.donationc...user/proctamer/

Anything better out there?

#2 jht129

jht129

elite

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:49 PM

nope... looks cool tho

#3 nullkraft

nullkraft

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Binrev Financier
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

CurrProcess does some really cool shit. Once you get there you need to look over their utilities. They have a crapload and some are really handy.

#4 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:19 PM

They mention processes like audio/video encoding and how this program moves the priority down...I'm not sure thats such a good idea. If you are rendering or encoding something don't you want it to do a good job? These are the kinds of things you want running at a higher priority. Moving it down just raises the chance that it messes something up and you need to do the whole thing over to get it perfect.

Edited by livinded, 22 January 2007 - 12:19 AM.

#5 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

They mention processes like audio/video encoding and how this program moves the priority down...I'm not sure thats such a good idea. If you are rendering or encoding something don't you want it to do a good job? These are the kinds of things you want running at a higher priority. Moving it down just raises the chance that it messes something up and you need to do the whole thing over to get it perfect.

i agree with livinded making a video encoding job a lower priorty might increase your chances of error and if it's a big job you would make a very long process even longer

-Enigma

#6 iceni

iceni

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:28 AM

my friend uses it and likes it. there's also something called Process Lasso too

#7 xGERMx

xGERMx

• Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

What? You mean to tell me that the task manager isn't good enough for you?

Posted Image

#8 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:01 PM

I don't see how the job quality would be affected by this. Windows always rotates CPU time between all apps anyways. That's how you're able to run explorer, all the daemons, and your rendering job at the same time. But from the app level, because their state is stored and re-instated for each run, it thinks it's the only process running. In fact, on the app level, it thinks its been running %100 this whole time - no matter what priority it's set. It's a process known as time-division multiplexing. What priorities do is allocate a bit more to other processes per run. So it might take more time to get back to the encoding/whatever process. But that process, again, is stored/reinstated each time it runs just the same, and from the app's perspective, it's been running this whole time.

Am I wrong?

#9 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

I'd have to agree with Seal. With the one exception of a live capture from a MiniDV tape or other source, I'd thinking the encoding quality would not degrade. Bits are bits, so to speak.

#10 nullkraft

nullkraft

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Binrev Financier
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

I might not even worry about MiniDv or any high speed capture. The priorities that you could set would only be at the application level and would not affect the performance of any of the drivers. Any kind of capture relies on the speed of the hardware, such as firewire, and if it generates and interrupt then Windows will pay attention.

So, mess with the priorities all you like. At worst you'll slow down the computer's reaction time to your mouse clicks and at best you can have a system hog ease up while you are surfing pr0n.

#11 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

What? You mean to tell me that the task manager isn't good enough for you?

Posted Image

Thanks, I'm in process manager all the time and that is the first time I noticed this option.

#12 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• 1,319 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

Back when I used Windows I tried this, it worked alright except for the occasional false positive.

#13 MyNameIsURL

MyNameIsURL

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:17 PM

For Windows I use Process Explorer (procexp.exe): http://www.microsoft...ls/default.mspx

It was created by 2 guys named Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell. Their company, called Sysinternals, developed such great utilities that Microsoft bought them out last year.

Process Explorer is the best utility for handling processes that I have ever used. I have redirected Ctrl-Alt-Del to launch Process Explorer instead of Task Manager because it provides all the same functionality but works like 10X better and is about 100X more versatile.

Process Explorer not only shows all running processes in real-time, but also file handle ownership, the user accounts they're running under, their number of page faults, any dependent threads, any .dlls and memory-mapped files they use and directories they access, as well as memory and cpu usage. It has a much richer System Information display than Task Manager, which includes real-time physical memory usage, kernel memory usage, page file usage, and more.

Process Explorer, of course has the ability to terminate any running processes and it does this much faster than Task Manager. Most threads will quit immediately. You can also change the priority level of any process very easily. It has drivers for use with 64-bit Vista and X64 chips.

The display window of this program makes it very easy to spot resource hogging threads by highlighting in purple any processes using large amounts of memory or CPU cycles. Processes that are hanging or locked up are highlighted in red.

Check out the links at the bottom of this page for articles on how to use Process Explorer to troubleshoot various problems.

Sorry for sounding like a goddamn commercial, but I have been using this program for years and it's probably the most useful Windows system utility that I've ever come across.

Edited by MyNameIsURL, 23 January 2007 - 11:21 PM.

#14 operat0r

operat0r

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

cax.exe FTW !

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!