• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 R0m304

R0m304

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:43 AM

Hello all, just a quick couple of questions here. A friend of mine has hacked a site. Most of what he did was done anonymously. However, when he changed the password of the hotmail account that the site was registered to, he was not anonymous. So, the victim is now locked out of his account, and I'm wondering if they logged my friends ip or something when the password was changed. And if so, would they be likely to take legal action over a free account? And finally, what kind of punishment is typically handed down over something like that. I did Google these things, but it was mostly full of 13yr olds asking how to hack their G/F's mail account. Thanks in advance.

#2 EvilOne

EvilOne

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:30 AM

Well, personally I don't think hotmail or microsoft will go out of there way to track down someone who obtained access to a single hotmail account.

Your friend will be fine if he keeps a low profile.

#3 Where The Action Is

Where The Action Is

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

Nothing will happen to your friend or w/e... its just one hotmail account

#4 Zeph

Zeph

OMG, so close to "1337"!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

DON'T LET THE BLACK HELICOPTERS LAND.
WINDOWS XP is SEXY!

/me puts on AFDB

Ahh, much better.
No, your "friend" should be fine. :D

#5 Trikk

Trikk

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

I don't think anyone would go through the trouble of trying to contact the hotmail company to find out one IP that was logged in, unless it was something to do with a .gov site, then they might try to have teh l33t feds to the whole legal scene, but I doubt hotmail would give away personal info

#6 R3c0n

R3c0n

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:03 PM

This is so MINOR that its ridiculous, Although I am assuming this certain 'friend' might be you. Its ok. :roll:

Btw, if its really really *serious*, law enforcement would just get a warrant and go directly into MSN.

#7 R0m304

R0m304

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:49 AM

This is so MINOR that its ridiculous, Although I am assuming this certain 'friend' might be you. Its ok. :roll:

Btw, if its really really *serious*, law enforcement would just get a warrant and go directly into MSN.

You're right, it is very minor. Although with the recent letter i got from comcast regarding my violation of DMCA, I have been a bit paranoid. It really was a friend of mine though, as I don't do defacement. Thanks for the help all.

#8 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

I'd say you would have to have charges against you, or something like that. An IP alone does not reveal your identity, it can only be revealed by your ISP, and that's sensitive information. They don't have the right to give it away to people who ask it (right?).

#9 droops

droops

Arduino Addict

• Moderating Team
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

They don't have the right to give it away to people who ask it (right?).

they can give that info to whomever they please, im sure that is in their terms of service.

#10 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

They don't have the right to give it away to people who ask it (right?).

they can give that info to whomever they please, im sure that is in their terms of service.

Hum... but aren't there laws concerning sensitive information? I'm sure they aren't allowed to give out personal information to whoever they want.

#11 droops

droops

Arduino Addict

• Moderating Team
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

i looked up your ip, and found in your terms of services with your isp

Unless authorized to do so by Law, Agents will not Use or Communicate previously collected Personal information for a new purpose without obtaining the prior Consent of the person concerned.

so if i ask them, they wont tell me, but if a judge asks them, they will.

my isp doesnt have anything about not giving out my personal info in their tos.

#12 feverdream

feverdream

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Actually they log everything. They just dont care enough to check every single login unless somebody else complains to the police.

It is simply not worth the time and expense of having an Ops engineer go over logs unless there is a real legal need making them to do so.

#13 Trikk

Trikk

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:53 AM

http://www2.verizon....olicies/tos.asp

I don't see anywhere that Verizon can/will share information with law enforcement

Can anyone back this up?

#14 alienbinary

alienbinary

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

I'd venture that there's such an astonishingly large amount of traffic, especially on hotmail, that it would generate terabytes of data in just log entries. Sifting through that for your friends actions would be like finding a specific grain of rice in china.

#15 focus_water

focus_water

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

Hello all, just a quick couple of questions here. A friend of mine has hacked a site. Most of what he did was done anonymously. However, when he changed the password of the hotmail account that the site was registered to, he was not anonymous. So, the victim is now locked out of his account, and I'm wondering if they logged my friends ip or something when the password was changed. And if so, would they be likely to take legal action over a free account? And finally, what kind of punishment is typically handed down over something like that. I did Google these things, but it was mostly full of 13yr olds asking how to hack their G/F's mail account. Thanks in advance.

i dont think you would get in trouble. ive done over 300 hotmail accounts and no one cares.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!