• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Istrancis

Istrancis

mad 1337

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

I've been playing around with an old computer I have, and I've installed Apache on it. I've followed this guide at Lifehacker, and I'm learning a lot about how servers and the 'Net work.

Does anyone have any advice that will add to my learning experience? Any information would be helpful. Thanks a lot in advance, if I come up with any questions on the topic I'll be sure to post them here!

On a side note, the machine has a Pentium III 733Mhz processor and 128MB of ram. It's running Windows XP (SP2). Thanks!!! :D

#2 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

Step 1: Install linux.
Step 2: Setup LAMP.
Step 3: Rejoice because you wont have to deal with windows anymore.

Personally I think that learning about LAMP on linux is much easier unless you plan on using IIS which obviously you are not. Just about any distro you get now will come with lamp in the repository or come with it. The windows builds of apache tend not to be as good, and I've always had issues with php in windows.

Edited by livinded, 29 December 2006 - 09:27 PM.

#3 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:23 PM

I've been playing around with an old computer I have, and I've installed Apache on it. I've followed this guide at Lifehacker, and I'm learning a lot about how servers and the 'Net work.

Does anyone have any advice that will add to my learning experience? Any information would be helpful. Thanks a lot in advance, if I come up with any questions on the topic I'll be sure to post them here!

On a side note, the machine has a Pentium III 733Mhz processor and 128MB of ram. It's running Windows XP (SP2). Thanks!!! :D

I agree with livinded you probably would learn more and get more out of the machine if you installed linux however if your want to stay with a windows box WAMP is an alternative

check out http://www.wampserver.com/en/ for more info

-Enigma

#4 Istrancis

Istrancis

mad 1337

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice Livended, Eth0enigma. It's much appreciated, as usual.

I'll install Linux on the machine, but since it's not very powerful I think I'll go with Xubuntu for it's distro. I'll set up LAMP, play around, and see what I can do! Thanks again.

Also, I know it's slightly off topic, but could someone take a look at this:

http://verbose.pixel...-bearing-gifts/

The guy, Michael Hoskins, says here that Ubuntu is "not ready". He says it's fine for browsing the Web and working in OpenOffice, but he mentions that the terminal window is used a bit much. Would anyone agree?

Personally, I'd be happy enough if this turned out to be true, since I'm really getting used to the command line now. For example, I installed Kismet there a while ago, before the Christmas holidays started, and I couldn't use it. A couple of days ago I had another look, and after much playing around with it, and a while in the command line, I eventually got it. Fantastic, huh?

#5 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice Livended, Eth0enigma. It's much appreciated, as usual.

I'll install Linux on the machine, but since it's not very powerful I think I'll go with Xubuntu for it's distro. I'll set up LAMP, play around, and see what I can do! Thanks again.

Also, I know it's slightly off topic, but could someone take a look at this:

http://verbose.pixel...-bearing-gifts/

The guy, Michael Hoskins, says here that Ubuntu is "not ready". He says it's fine for browsing the Web and working in OpenOffice, but he mentions that the terminal window is used a bit much. Would anyone agree?

Personally, I'd be happy enough if this turned out to be true, since I'm really getting used to the command line now. For example, I installed Kismet there a while ago, before the Christmas holidays started, and I couldn't use it. A couple of days ago I had another look, and after much playing around with it, and a while in the command line, I eventually got it. Fantastic, huh?

I have ubuntu installed on my laptop and it works just fine now granted i wouldn't use ubuntu as a server platform however for a desktop OS it serves it's purpose expecially for one whos learning linux i do have on this install a lamp server for development purposes and it works just fine

-Enigma

#6 GreyFox

GreyFox

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:12 PM

I have used XAMPP ever since I started web design and development.

#7 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

Personally I wouldn't use ubuntu as a server platform anyways as it really is not designed to be used as a server and some of their past security issues. The fact is linux is not a graphical OS. Just like windows 3.x-98, you will need to go into a terminal to do some things. The X server and the windows managers were not designed to ever replace the command line, but rather to add new functionality. If you never want to get into the terminal, no distribution of linux is really for you. Some distros such as ubuntu have tried to great gui apps that will let you configured and install software but they cannot include every single option into it. For a server distro, I'd recommend; slackware, centos, or debian (not in that specific order).

#8 Istrancis

Istrancis

mad 1337

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

I appreciate the advice, but given the computer I was hoping to use, and it's low-end specs, would any of your recommended systems suit it? Oh, and don't worry, I'm not hoping to avoid the terminal, it's all a part of the learning experience!!!

What about Fedora? Would that make good server software? So far that PS3

#9 Istrancis

Istrancis

mad 1337

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

I appreciate the advice, but given the computer I was hoping to use, and it's low-end specs, would any of your recommended systems suit it? Oh, and don't worry, I'm not hoping to avoid the terminal, it's all a part of the learning experience!!!

What about Fedora? Would that make good server software? So far that PS3 has been holding up pretty well, security wise! ;)

(Sorry about the "almost" double post!!!)

Edited by Istrancis, 31 December 2006 - 10:43 PM.

#10 DosPod

DosPod

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Corpus Christi, Texas (the sparkling city by the sea)

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:45 PM

fedora might be ok seeing how it has selinux, and all that stuff, but slackware with a 2.4 kernel grsec,selinux, a firewall and apache would be a nice server ;] and as far as the ps3 goes its a ppc platform so not as mush software, and its overheating might be a problem but other than that it has nice specs

#11 Istrancis

Istrancis

mad 1337

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for the advice, DosPod, I'll look into a decent Linux firewall too!

#12 defiance

defiance

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

fedora might be ok seeing how it has selinux, and all that stuff, but slackware with a 2.4 kernel grsec,selinux, a firewall and apache would be a nice server ;] and as far as the ps3 goes its a ppc platform so not as mush software, and its overheating might be a problem but other than that it has nice specs

I'll second the slackware recommendation, It's the distro I learned on. It's not quite as noob friendly as ubuntu or a redhat based distro, but also not as hard as gentoo. It's a great learning platform. Have fun :)

#13 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,942 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

I third slackware. It's increadibly easy to get up and running, comes with just about everything you need for a server install, and as long as you sign up for the security mailing list, it;s fairly easy to keep secure.

#14 Istrancis

Istrancis

mad 1337

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 05:52 PM

I came across this page on Digg just there, and figured that this would be the appropriated place to put it.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, everyone, as usual it's much appreciated! ;)

Update: Check out the comments on Digg for this, there's interesting stuff there too:

http://www.digg.com/...ian_LAMP_Server

Edited by Istrancis, 03 January 2007 - 05:56 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!