• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Z2A

Dr. Z2A

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

I have recently become interested in putting linux on my ipod. The problem is that I have a nano and the ipod linux distribution doesn't support nano. I could try to install it, but I might fuck myself over. I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried to put ipod linux on a nano, and if so, did it work ok?

#2 DosPod

DosPod

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Location:Corpus Christi, Texas (the sparkling city by the sea)

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

I cant tell u about the nano but neither is the video supported and i got it to work on my video perfectly, and alot of ipods arent supported lol.

#3 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

I have recently become interested in putting linux on my ipod. The problem is that I have a nano and the ipod linux distribution doesn't support nano. I could try to install it, but I might fuck myself over. I'm wondering if anyone else here has tried to put ipod linux on a nano, and if so, did it work ok?

Just back up all your data.

#4 Snippet

Snippet

mad 1337

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:09 AM

I have gotten linux on my nano, and yes it does support video. The video sound was not supported at the time of my installation though. In my opinion linux lagged alot on the nano and it just wasnt good for playing music.

RockBox is what I have on it now, and I'm loving it. You dont need Itunes, its fast and you can customize your own backgrounds fairly easily (just using photoshop and a prebuilt theme set from the site) RockBox does not support Video ( I think anyways)

Theres a ton of info at Rockbox.org and the installation is easy.

Just make sure you backup your old firmware like they said or you just might brick your nano. I almost did :lol:

Good Luck

Edited by Snippet, 23 December 2006 - 10:10 AM.

#5 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

I've tried both iPodLinux and Rockbox.

If your iPod model isn't officially supported, you are likely to get into problems with iPodLinux, and if you're not very confident with that, I'd suggest you just don't try it. If you want to try to install iPodLinux on your unsupported nano, make sure you got all of your music on your computer, ready to be put back on your iPod if anything goes wrong. You cannot destroy your iPod, however, you can mess up all the software installation on it. You can always do a firmware restore, that's not a problem (download the latest iPod updater, and make sure you can plug your iPod into the wall, not into the usb plug of your computer). You might also need to force disk mode in order to make a software restore - just google for it.

Now, let's say you go for the best and the safest way (IMO), which is Rockbox. Just go on www.rockbox.org, download the latest release for your model, and install it. Quite simple, and you probably won't get into problems. Rockbox is better for playing music, and the main difference with it is that it won't use the music stored by iTunes - you'll have to transfer music in a folder, and then you'll be able to browse through the folders and play the music files. I think you can browse mp3s with ID3 tags, but I haven't tried it. I prefer browsing through my music directly, and it is easier to import/export music this way (no need for iTunes (or iTunes replacement) in this case! yeah!).

There are also lots of little games on Rockbox. I must also warn you that both iPodLinux and Rockbox eat your battery a lot more than Apple's firmware. You'll have to recharge often.

#6 Dr. Z2A

Dr. Z2A

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

oh crap, I installed rockbox and my ipod wont boot up and wont mount when connected to a computer :(

EDIT: Yay for emergency disk mode

Edited by Dr. Z2A, 29 December 2006 - 08:41 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!