• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Garry

Garry

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 01:40 AM

This will probably soudn like a n00b question and it probably is, but please humor me since im new to this and i haven't done much history hw.

note: i was going to post this on newbie thread, but this is more of a history/background question than one of a techie nature.

you know those number generators they have out that with a press of a button can churn out valid CD keys and registry validations because of the specific formula in them?

ex. HALF LIFE CD key generators and Diablo II cd key generators

i was wondering if anyone had ever made one of those based on the principals of phone cards. you know how you scratch out the card and there's a pin number in there which will let you access their lines. has anybody ever figured out how those are formulated and made a generator to churn out valid PINS... cuz umm.. those companies gouge everyone and they often lie about how many minutes they sell as well as hidden fees.

anyways, just a thought and suggestion. an answer to this querry would be most helpful

thanx

GARRY

P.S. EDIT btw, heard anything about the whole "war chalking" thing going around?

#2 jedibebop

jedibebop

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 02:44 AM

I think most keys for cds are made from hashes that encode the info you give them...like name and company name and stuff, also the equation used is probably known for those key gens to be able to make the keys

i don't know for sure but phone card PINs are probably made random and the way of encoding is probably not known, and different for different cards. Also, probably very hard to crack.

#3 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:54 AM

Some PINs for phone cards have an algorithm that is thoretically crackable. There was that number generator for German AT&T cards like 10 years ago. It worked. The biggest problem is that the PIN's are released at random, so even if you could genrate 'valid' PINs, you would have no idea when you could use them. The companies don't validate the PIN until the physical card with that PIN on it is produced. From what I have heard, thats the way they do it.

#4 GUEST_Possibly_liht_***

GUEST_Possibly_liht_***
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2003 - 12:31 PM

from what ive read, war chalking is simly going around and finding open wifi access points and then chalking a wall with its ssid and whatnot.
http://www.warchalking.org/

#5 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 01:43 PM

from what ive read, war chalking is simly going around and finding open wifi access points and then chalking a wall with its ssid and whatnot.
http://www.warchalking.org/

warchalking is dead.

#6 GUEST_ROX_***

GUEST_ROX_***
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2003 - 02:57 PM

In reply to you saying the phone card companies lie about minutes you have...

the only card I've bought that didn't take away any minutes I didn't use was Nobelcom (www.nobelcom.com I think is the url). I gave them $20 and I got I think 15 hours or something. No surcharges, no games, just 15 hours exactly.

I would never ever buy any other phonecard, they ass rape you too much.

#7 1337

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 268 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:45 PM

I do have a phone card PIN generator. I've never tried the numbers. It's probably the one that decoder is talking about 'cause it runs in DOS. :roll:

#8 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,212 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:51 PM

I do have a phone card PIN generator. I've never tried the numbers. It's probably the one that decoder is talking about 'cause it runs in DOS. :roll:

yeah thats the one. I remember trying some of the codes back in like 97-98'

#9 decoder

decoder

Very Friendly

• 1,609 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:53 PM

the only card I've bought that didn't take away any minutes I didn't use was Nobelcom (www.nobelcom.com I think is the url). I gave them $20 and I got I think 15 hours or something. No surcharges, no games, just 15 hours exactly.

From the back of a local New York card:

Phone company and connection charges may apply. A 59 cents semi-monthly service fee applies. A 65 cents payphone surcharge applies with 800 access. Prices and fees are subject to change without notice...blah, blah, blah...sevices provided by IDT.

pay special attention to the SEMI-monthly service fee. Semi monthly, huh? That could mean anything. They could slap that fee on every day, after all, it still would be SEMI-monthly.

#10 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• 1,212 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:54 PM

Some PINs for phone cards have an algorithm that is thoretically crackable. There was that number generator for German AT&T cards like 10 years ago. It worked. The biggest problem is that the PIN's are released at random, so even if you could genrate 'valid' PINs, you would have no idea when you could use them. The companies don't validate the PIN until the physical card with that PIN on it is produced. From what I have heard, thats the way they do it.

yeah that how most Calling Cards work now. You might get lucky with some smaller Card Companys. But as Rox stated you get funked over with surcharges and sometime even connection fees :angry:

#11 hacnslash

hacnslash

Banisher of n00bs

• 2,454 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 04:58 PM

noblecom KICKS DONKEY ASS !!!!!!

i use it to talk to romania a lot, they rock the casbah...

#12 GUEST_ROX_***

GUEST_ROX_***
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2003 - 04:26 PM

if you use a PIN generator, how do you know what number to call to use it? Is it a universal, for all phone card companies?

#13 swank

swank

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 06:19 AM

Nobelcom is the best ive found. I use them for calling within the states and to russia. No connection fees, no matienence fees, and 1 sec billing. The 1 second billing cards are the best IMO if you run a buisness and make a bunch of short calls. I like the higher min cards with no connection fee and a cheap 1 month maitenence fee for long convos. Cant beat their $20 cards. :voteyes:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!