• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RTSblue

RTSblue

elite

• Banned
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:25 PM

I did netstat in cmd and where it saids state it saids syn_sent. What does syn_sent means?

#2 tehbizz

tehbizz

Progenitor of noob slaying

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:27 PM

Searching is your friend: http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

#3 Nipun Mohta

Nipun Mohta

H4x0r

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:10 AM

You should also check this out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SYN_(TCP)

#4 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:31 PM

So it's like the moments in a fone call after dialing the digits but before the other end picks up?

#5 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

Please use more descriptive help topics than "wtf does this mean."

Furthermore, if you are to post 10 topics related to each other, please consider condensing them in fewer threads. I will now edit the thread title from "WTF does this means?" to "What does syn_sent mean?"

#6 codar

codar

mad 1337

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 07:49 AM

haven't posted on this forum for sometime, (just been reading through really), Anyways what i suggest you do is find a good book/ebook on tcp-ip, that way you would understand how things(the internet/networks) really works.

i've seen your other posts on the forum, and you seem to be really new at this sort of stuff, all you really need to do is find ebooks on the internet and read, read and reread until you understand what your reading. good luck on your quest for knowledge ;)

oh yh hi everybody (those who know me)

#7 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 06:10 PM

Alice wants to establish a TCP connection with Bob. To do this, they need to perform a three-way handshake. Alice will send SYN, if Bob accepts the connection request, he will send SYN/ACK and finally, Alice will send a final ACK to establish the connection.

The state SYN-SENT means that Alice has sent the initial SYN message and is waiting for either SYN/ACK (connection attempt accepted) or RST (connection attempt refused). This state doesn't usually hang around, it lasts as long as it takes for the listener to respond. There are some conditions that can make SYN_SENT show up in netstat though.
  • You're really lucky or your connection is very slow. SYN_SENT may only last for a fraction of a second on a fast connection, you'd have to hit netstat just at the right time to see it. If your connection is slower or congested, that window is larger.
  • The listener is dropping packets. This can be intentional, "stealthed" ports don't send RST on connection refused, they don't send anything at all. This can be unintentional as well, high load or congestion can cause dropped packets.
  • Your ISP is dropping packets. About the time of one of the big worms that spread on port 139, my ISP started filtering (that is, dropping) all outbound (and probably inbound) packets on port 139.
A socket will remain in the SYN_SENT for a period of time before it times out and gives up.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!