• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 thcParadise

thcParadise

What number are we thinking of?

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 12:41 AM

In the beginning, efficient code is the result of fine-tuned logic, just try and master one language, then pick up some books about coding in a secure but efficient manner.

#22 xantr3x

xantr3x

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

I'd suggest Python. I started with C++, and was baffled. Python is easy to read, and if you are having trouble, you can psuedocode and ask someone for help. (Psuedocoding is writing out the basic functions of your program in plain English then translating. Very easy to do in Python, due to the readability.)
Also, get a book on the language you choose. There's nothing better than having a hard copy of the info you need, available without switching windows on your computer to check how to print "Hello world."

#23 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 06:16 PM

I actually prefer electronic reference documentation. Alt-tab is just not that difficult. For a lot of reading though, hard copy is a lot easier on the eyes.

Edit: 2 monitors really helps with that as well.

Edited by Ohm, 26 December 2006 - 04:35 PM.

#24 BloodLust_89

BloodLust_89

n00bie

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

I learnt java first. reason being its a clean straight forward high level language that involves all OO concepts and a wealth of API. i then learnt vb so i could develop quick and dirty apps.

#25 woodys_world69

woodys_world69

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:24 AM

I actually prefer electronic reference documentation. Alt-tab is just not that difficult. For a lot of reading though, hard copy is a lot easier on the eyes.

Edit: 2 monitors really helps with that as well.

or laptop and desktop running together is what i use

#26 lambda

lambda

mad 1337

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:49 PM

Asking which language is "easiest" is kind of silly. You should learn a language based on it's good points, not on how easy it is. Also, I don't know why, but many people have the feeling that they need to learn one language and then ONLY use that language. That's a very silly idea, and you should learn as many languages as you can, for the same reason you learn anything else: it's fun.

#27 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

Asking which language is "easiest" is kind of silly. You should learn a language based on it's good points, not on how easy it is. Also, I don't know why, but many people have the feeling that they need to learn one language and then ONLY use that language. That's a very silly idea, and you should learn as many languages as you can, for the same reason you learn anything else: it's fun.

I find it stupid to be okay 5 diffrent languages, when you can just master one.

#28 m3747r0n

m3747r0n

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

Different languages are better suited to different tasks, so I would say for most people it is better to be OK at 5 different languages then it is to be a “master of one”.

#29 lambda

lambda

mad 1337

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:19 PM

Different languages are better suited to different tasks, so I would say for most people it is better to be OK at 5 different languages then it is to be a “master of one”.

Unless of course you want to spend the rest of your life not learning anything new and doing the same old shit day in and day out :)

Also, being a "master" of a single language is never really achieved, just like with everything else in life, there is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you.

#30 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

It's also not a good idea for a newbie to switch languages too quickly before the concepts and techniques learned really have a chance to "set in".

#31 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:59 PM

Unless of course you want to spend the rest of your life not learning anything new and doing the same old shit day in and day out :)

Also, being a "master" of a single language is never really achieved, just like with everything else in life, there is ALWAYS someone who knows more than you.

What I was saying in better words:
Lets say I wanted to learn Java, C, PHP, Lisp, and Ruby. I only learn basic input/output, variables, if statements, and loops. Thats nice how I can program in all those languages, but whats the point of learning 5 languages if I only know basics? And how many projects can I accomplish? Not as many as I could if I learned all the ins and outs of C and Lisp? I may have a smaller varity, but I can do more.

It's just a waste of time to learn so many languages when you haven't even gone past the fundementals of one.

#32 m3747r0n

m3747r0n

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

Lets say I wanted to learn Java, C, PHP, Lisp, and Ruby. I only learn basic input/output, variables, if statements, and loops. Thats nice how I can program in all those languages, but whats the point of learning 5 languages if I only know basics? And how many projects can I accomplish? Not as many as I could if I learned all the ins and outs of C and Lisp? I may have a smaller varity, but I can do more.

It's just a waste of time to learn so many languages when you haven't even gone past the fundementals of one.

Most admin staff don’t need anymore then the basics, just as long as they can look at the code and have a good understanding of what’s going on. If you are intending to work in the programming field then everyone will expect you to know more then one language and be prolific in them.

#33 lambda

lambda

mad 1337

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:03 PM

Hmm, perhaps you have the wrong idea. Programming isn't about knowing a language, or many languages, it's about knowing how to program. Once you learn the basic ideas and the different paradigms, learning another language is nothing more than learning it's syntax (and in some cases, it's idioms).

#34 swestres

swestres

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:15 AM

Tcl is nice, maybe not the best first language since it's so different from most others but a very easy one to learn. It's very simple and easy to understand. It gets even better if/when you learn i.e. C and embed Tcl in your app. There's many extensions (Like Tk, Sqlite [incr Tcl] and others), and the language can be redefined to fit your needs.

#35 AudioPhile

AudioPhile

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

Like most other people here have said, learn one language and get comfortable with it but also remember this:
Don't choose one that's nothing like the big players, I'm not saying dont experiment or be adventurous - just give it some consideration because if you really get into this you WILL be spending alot of time working with your language of choice and it would be a real bummer to try another one and you're not able to relate differences between the two.

BTW I recommend ruby.

#36 m3747r0n

m3747r0n

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:06 PM

If you learn C don’t use void main(void) it’s a bad habit that some programming books and teachers will try and push on you, and from time to time you may sink back into using it (when your not thinking).

The ANSI standard says "no" so don't do it. :)

#37 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:11 PM

If you learn C don’t use void main(void) it’s a bad habit that some programming books and teachers will try and push on you, and from time to time you may sink back into using it (when your not thinking).

That's a really minor point, probably not worth mentioning until he's ready to write some real programs. Even then, unless you're -pedantic it's still more or less meaningless. A function signature in C just doesn't mean much. The important part is writing solid code that makes good use of the language's facilities. Obsessing over tiny details to make the language lawyers happy is just not worth the energy in the beginning. Time is better spent learning meaningful things.

#38 Octal

Octal

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:41 PM

I use C, and I always use int main() , because I have always received erorrs with void main() . Maybe it's just me though...

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!