but I'm curious into whats the difference in C#, and C++
and whats so different about them.

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

They can do the same kinds of things, and when you get right down to it, they're not all that different. If you're learning both (either?) from scratch, I'd go with C#. It's newer, cleaner, has some features that C++ does not, and is definitely easier to learn. The things you learn from C# will also help you learn other languages as well, so later down the road, learning C++ will be easier if you ever need it. About the only disadvantage to C# is portability. You're more or less stuck with Visual C# and .net, which may or may not be an issue for you.

#3 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

I haven't really done any programming in C# but if you are just starting to learn there are a few things you need to think about. First, C# while available for linux is really more of something you want to learn on windows as far as I've heard. With mono you don't get all of the functionality you would get with visual c#.net. Second, if you are going to be learning C# don't expect to know C++ also. From the source I've seen C# is much more like java removing things such as headers and function prototypes. While these aren't big differences they are differences you will need to learn in order to do anything in C++ or C. While a lot of the concepts are the same especially with Object Oriented Programming, you are still going to need to learn C and C++. From what I've heard about .net 3.0 is that it wont be available on xp though you may want to check on that. IF you don't plan on installing vista you may want to hold off until you know for sure. C and C++ are still widely used languages and are not going anywhere. You can't go wrong with learning either of them but it really is up to you and what you want to do with the language.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!